Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will I play my SACDs now?

Options
  • 22-07-2011 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

This kinda falls across two HE realms hope HE General is ok.

My PS3 (fat) was my SACD player, but it packed in last night. I have an Onkyo TXSR805 AV amp and a Marantz SA7003 (currently off a PM6003 amp). The 7003 has an optical and a coax out. Can I use one of these to send the audio from the player to the amp so it can send the 5.1 to the speakers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

How were you connecting your PS3 to the AV amp before? Was it over HDMI?

The only way to send a DSD stream (which is the digital format of SACD) to another device like an amp is over HDMI. If you do it over optical or coax, the PS3 or your Marantz player will convert that to PCM and you'll loose a small amount of resolution/quality doing that.

For best 2 channel audio quality I would use the analog outputs of your player and connect them to your amp. Does your amp have an analog pass-through mode? (i.e this where the amp will not redigitise the audio coming in but instead just pass it through to its power amp stage)

I see you asked about 5.1 too. Are you using the 5.1 layer on the SACD? If you wanna send that info from the player to an amp then HDMI is your only option. You could use the optical, but again like above, the player will down-convert to PCM5.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

The PS3 was connected to the amp by HDMI.

It's 5.1 DSD I want so the Marantz as the player is out as it doesn't do HDMI.

Thanks for the help.

You wouldn't happen to know of a 3D BR player with glowing reviews that does SACD?!! :)

EDIT: Must have 2 x HDMI out as my amp doesn't do 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

shayser wrote: »
    The PS3 was connected to the amp by HDMI.

It's 5.1 DSD I want so the Marantz as the player is out as it doesn't do HDMI.

Thanks for the help.

You wouldn't happen to know of a 3D BR player with glowing reviews that does SACD?!! :)

Oppo BDP-95

Saw that one, and it would be my ideal player, but I am upgrading my whole AV system (apart from the amp) so it just a little too pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Why not buy something like the older Oppo DVD-980H for SACD...?
    Continue with the PS3 for BluRay....

• Advertisement

I had that Oppo before but sold it sadly, and far too cheaply. Great player.

My PS3 is sadly no longer of this world.

Can't find the Oppo 980 or 981 for sale anywhere.

Managed to get my Oppo back! :D

Advertisement