Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orchard thieves cider

Options
  • 14-05-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭

anyone else tried it?Got a fridge pack of these yesterday,drank one,opened another but couldn't finish it.Dropped the rest into the chap next door,a hardcore ciderhead,and his verdict was the same.Its VERY sour,if you've ever drank those mickey Finn apple shots,green wkd or tasted those penny apple jack sweets from years ago you'll get the idea.Heineken have spent a fortune marketing the stuff,but I can't see this product lasting long.It will go the way of bulmers pear I reckon.Also the effects on the gastric system mirror bulmers pear,you'll sh1t rings around yourself.Not my cup of tea at all.Poor show from heineken.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Haven't tried it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Managed to get a free box of bottles from them via twitter, had a few last night, I'm not a huge cider drinker tbh and I found it very sweet and I certainly would never part with money for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Spanish Max

anyone else tried it?Got a fridge pack of these yesterday,drank one,opened another but couldn't finish it.Dropped the rest into the chap next door,a hardcore ciderhead,and his verdict was the same.Its VERY sour,if you've ever drank those mickey Finn apple shots,green wkd or tasted those penny apple jack sweets from years ago you'll get the idea.Heineken have spent a fortune marketing the stuff,but I can't see this product lasting long.It will go the way of bulmers pear I reckon.Also the effects on the gastric system mirror bulmers pear,you'll sh1t rings around yourself.Not my cup of tea at all.Poor shows from heineken.

Liked the ads. Tried it. Rank !!!! Awful sh1te altogether.

What happened to bulmers pear? IS it gone altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

What happened to bulmers pear? IS it gone altogether?

Not gone altogether,just re-branded.Its now known as senakot...

eternal wrote: »
    Haven't tried it yet.

Probably better off staying clear of it,your insides will thank you for it.That said,if you enjoy sour apple shots you might enjoy it.Not for me though,I find it to be more like an alcopop than a cider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

I found it to be a sugar mess

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Probably better off staying clear of it,your insides will thank you for it.That said,if you enjoy sour apple shots you might enjoy it.Not for me though,I find it to be more like an alcopop than a cider.

One sweet is fine however drinking that may not be the best idea. Plus I'm not five anymore. Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Also the effects on the gastric system mirror bulmers pear,you'll sh1t rings around yourself.

They should've called it Olympic cider for the different colours your ring will turn...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Had some Boyne Valley cider from the brewer(is that what a cider maker's called???) a few weeks ago. Beautiful stuff. He's next door to the Bru brewery which we were getting a tour around (Paddy showed us around. Great lad. Seeing their setup first-hand really made me appreciate what the smaller brewers are going through to get their products to the shelves.) The distro for the cider is very limited, so you might have to go to Trim to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it made in Clonmel? Picked up a box in the shop to look at last week, was not sure who makes it, seems to be Heineken but odd if it's made in Clonmel like Bulmers, perhaps made by them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Is it made in Clonmel? Picked up a box in the shop to look at last week, was not sure who makes it, seems to be Heineken but odd if it's made in Clonmel like Bulmers, perhaps made by them?

Made in Hereford in England.

It's not Irish.

Orchard Thieves was a NZ company bought by hino in 2013, they produce flavour cider. And as ik6l said "produced " most likely in Herefordshire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Had a bottle of Orchard Thieves over the weekend. Well about half a bottle to be honest as I poured the rest of it down the sink. Horrible. All I could taste was those apple penny sweets that you used to get years ago. Will be sticking to Stella Cidre for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Had a can of it yesterday. A lot sweeter than Bulmers. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Wish I read this thread a few hours ago. Bought an 8 pack a earlier. It is $h1te. I wouldn't give it away to a mate.

leex wrote: »

I don't think its sweet at all,its sour.As the poster above mentioned it tastes like applejack sweets.Its certainly not something you'd go to the pub and drink seven or eight pints of.The cynical side of me sees it as a sneaky attempt to tap into the lucrative underage market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RuRuRo

I love my cider but this stuff is just strange. It's sickly sweet like those 1p apple cough drops and strangely bitter as well. Just makes my mouth feel sticky and I definitely agree that it's terrible for the gastric system. Felt nauseous half way through the pint...

Since it's British as well I think I'll stick to my lovely Irish grown Bulmers, thanks very much.

RuRuRo wrote:
    Since it's British as well I think I'll stick to my lovely Irish grown Bulmers, thanks very much.

Bulmers source apple for England and across europe as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

anyone else tried it?those penny apple jack sweets from years ago .

That's the first thing that came to mind for me when I tired it, apple jacks. But I loved them. And I really liked this too. Stands to reason I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

There must be something wrong with me, I didn't find it sour at all. Sweet alright, but yeah I liked it. Not artificial tasting like so many of them. Actually tasted apples too, which was a nice change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I love and apple drop,

I dont like ciders that much.

What to do, what to do. But im all for tasting stuff.

They spend some amount of money advertising it though. Jesus that wolf fox thing is everywhere ya look

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

Managed to get a free box of bottles from them via twitter, had a few last night, I'm not a huge cider drinker tbh and I found it very sweet and I certainly would never part with money for it.

They were advertising in Tesco a few week back my husband said he buy them to try they were cans can't remember how many in box, he would not buy them again and he also said it was very sweet, but I suppose you have to try new things to make your judgement on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Its rotten, bought two bottles at weekend, ended up pouring second down sink it was that sweet! Horrible Stuff.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Is it out on draught anywhere? Had a bottle and couldn't finish it, far too sickly sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

irish_goat wrote: »
    Is it out on draught anywhere? Had a bottle and couldn't finish it, far too sickly sweet.
    I had a pint of it in the Olympia. Better than Bulmers but that isnt much of a complement

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

leex wrote: »
    Sounds disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,888 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

had 3 pints and a bottle yesterday and man its sickaning

its so hard to drink fast imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

I've just started drinking this one from Aldi. It's an Irish cider, it tastes really nice and it's only €1.29 per can :D

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/drinks/ale-stout-lager-cider/cider/cider-product-detail/ps/p/cullens-irish-apple-ciderr/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭emo72

The orchard thieves is a great example of marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I've just started drinking this one from Aldi. It's an Irish cider, it tastes really nice and it's only €1.29 per can :D

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/drinks/ale-stout-lager-cider/cider/cider-product-detail/ps/p/cullens-irish-apple-ciderr/

Presume this is another C & C brand? No one else could handle the volume and canning?

Advertisement