Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Hop House 13 - what's the deal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Oh, I had a couple myself. Rather fond of it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Tried this last night, completely fine beer that I'll gladly have again.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Ive tried it again and I can only assume my first pint was a bad one as I enjoyed it second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Guinness69

Has anyone noticed that they have changed it a couple of times since the launch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Tried it for the first time at the weekend not bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Guinness69 wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed that they have changed it a couple of times since the launch

Maybe thats why I like it second time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

Is that the same beer they're marketing as Guinness Golden Ale in the UK? If so I wonder why they didn't stick with Hop House 13?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Nope, different beer. Guinness Golden Ale is much darker. Different also to Guinness Blonde brewed for the US, and all of which are different to Smithwick's Blonde. They're nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Got a case of small bottles last week. After having a pint of it on tap on a sunny day and thinking it wasn't bad I've changed my mind. Couldn't even make it through a second bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

Had a pint if it last weekend thought it was ok. Nothing to write home about but a step up from the rest of the macro lagers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,998 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Jesus that Guinness Golden Ale ad complete with bearded craft hipster is cringe bad. As for HH13 , its grand, inoffensive pale ale, better than the usual macro offerings in the Diageo heavy pubs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jesus that Guinness Golden Ale ad complete with bearded craft hipster is cringe bad. As for HH13 , its grand, inoffensive pale ale, better than the usual macro offerings in the Diageo heavy pubs.

The smithwicks one with Brogues and flatcaps, it is as if they are trying to mock themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think its Harp in a new glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is nothing like Harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Oh sorry, forgot the seriousness of this forum. I was kidding.

Although I don't really like lager any more so it Hophouse tastes fairly bland to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lux23 wrote: »
    Oh sorry, forgot the seriousness of this forum. I was kidding.
    Seriousness? Really? How are we supposed to know you were kidding? You just made a statement and were called on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I've been drinking it fairly regularly now and I have to say I really enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mished

anyone know if its available in Wexford ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mished wrote: »
    anyone know if its available in Wexford ?

It's available to pubs everywhere. I'd be astounded if there isnt somewhere selling it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,219 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I had 4 pints of this yesterday and whilst not actually bland, it does not, to me, seem to have a significant hoppy taste. Perhaps this is because I assumed that it would be of the Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada etc pseudo micro hoppy beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Bumping this again - it was due to be available for off-purchase by the end of the year, anyone know if this has happened yet?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Bumping this again - it was due to be available for off-purchase by the end of the year, anyone know if this has happened yet?

Bottles have been released in Britain but no sign of it in Ireland yet. Disappointing as I was hoping they'd put it in cans and there'd at least be a semi-decent can of lager available in bog standard offies.

12145017_1688362544710596_394358049_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Had it again a few days ago. Didn't notice any difference. Would definitely opt for it as a slugger over Carlsberg and the likes if there was no other choice (like Smithwicks Blonde) in a normal (as in no "crafts", like my local) pub especially in the summer, but still don't think it's up to much.

Looking back over the thread, it's slightly amusing that some people are implying that if you don't like it, you're some sort of Diageo hating, hipster, fart-sniffer. Couldn't care less who makes it. I like beers , not brewers. I'd be delighted if you could get the Foreign Extra Stout in normal pubs for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Patww79 wrote: »

Would that be similar to labeling 1000s of beers as poison because they were made by the big evil fart sniffers with strange beards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Patww79 wrote: »
    I tend to dislike the ones that taste like someone put a double vodka into my pint of beer regardless of who made it. I don't really drink spirits either as I dislike a really strong alcoholy taste.

There are no craft beers which taste like someone put a double vodka into a beer, you are talking absolute scutter as usual

Advertisement