Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orchard thieves cider

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Gongoozler wrote: »
    :confused: it's in all the supermarkets, and on tap in loads of pubs, I don't see it going anywhere

Because Heinken will have dished out loads of cheap/free kegs and bottles hoping it will do well and they'll get repeat orders. It's success can only be judged a few months to a year down the line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

:confused: it's in all the supermarkets, and on tap in loads of pubs, I don't see it going anywhere

Guinness Breo was everywhere in about 2000...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

irish_goat wrote: »
    Because Heinken will have dished out loads of cheap/free kegs and bottles hoping it will do well and they'll get repeat orders. It's success can only be judged a few months to a year down the line.

Pretty much. The on-linerror game is what's shifting most of the pints in my local. But we are down from 5 Bulmera lines to just 1. Thanks to aggressive marketing from Hienkien.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    Guinness Breo was everywhere in about 2000...
    I remember Hudson Blue cider being everywhere too, and Cashels cider. I still wish bulmers would release a dry cider, I thought bulmers light was going to be it but its full of sweeteners. Not that I am a fan of bulmers at all but the pubs who refuse to stock a good variety might at least get it.

http://www.independent.ie/business/guinness-brewing-up-cider-storm-with-rival-to-bulmers-26117796.html
    11/05/2000
    Four years ago, Guinness decided to go head to head with Bulmers, the dominant when it unveiled Hudson Blue in a high-profile, high-budget marketing launch.

The £6m spend is reckoned to have been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, put behind a single brand launch in this country. Hudson Blue flopped, or as one trade observer put it, ``the brand is wiped out.''
    Paul Kelly, head of new brand marketing at St James' Gate, does not agree, although he is prepared to admit that cider drinkers did not exactly flock to the product.
    ``It's absolutely not the end of Hudson Blue,'' he stresses.

Surely the launch of Cashel's implies otherwise. Not so, says Kelly.
    ``Hudson Blue is a dry tasting ice cider with different characteristics than Cashel's which is a more traditional product.''

But drink trade people will also point to the brewery's singularly unsuccessful attempt to establish its own white beer (Breó) in the market, while noting efforts to revive the fortunes of ale consumption through the launch of Kilkenny have not exactly worked to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

I actually really like this stuff. Can't stand Bulmers at all so it's nice to have another option in a lot of pubs. That said it is very sweet, but I don't mind that. There's definitely a market for it - a lot of my friend group (early 20s women) really like it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I drink Bulmers normally but I tried Orchard Thieves a few weeks back.
    My God, it is just like applejack sweets but not in a good way.

Think of melted sweets and you've got the flavour of Orchard Thieves.
    It's gloopy and syrupy and far too sweet.
    I've yet to see anyone drink it when I've been out.

I agree with another poster, though, and wish someone would bring out a nice dry cider on draught, like Blackthorn. Now that was delicious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

It is everywhere now. You couldn't have more than about two of them due to the flavour but it is quite refreshing all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

The nearest thing i can get to yellow label bulmers.

Something up with those who think it's sour, if anything it's too sweet.

If u think its sour then u must find bulmers rank altogether.

Bulmers i find has a very alcohol traste, bitter.
    Yellow label numbers is by far the nicest and mildest ive had.

I usually have trouble having 3 pints of anything, quantity issue, so id normal switch to a whiskey or something. .

What's yellow label Bulmers? I usually have the Light Bulmers.

eternal wrote: »
    What's yellow label Bulmers? I usually have the Light Bulmers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulmers

• Advertisement

But sure they still sell Bulmers Light? I see the original one you mean though with the yellow label, they just didn't update the page.

But sure they still sell Bulmers Light? I see the original one you mean though with the yellow label, they just didn't update the page.

If you do a quick look up on wiki you will see that the bulmers i attached already and the bulmers your thinking of are two different companies

I might be a bit dim (!) Do excuse me.

Actually this explains it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Bulmer

Bulmers is originally English, they owned the Irish operation for some time only to sell it on, but it still uses the bulmers name in Ireland, but magners outside ireland

Dunno where in south you will get it but asda over the boarder has it.

It's truly the best. Sounds like what's needed given the replies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

P_Cash wrote: »
    Dunno where in south you will get it but asda over the boarder has it.
    I would guess there would be legal objections to it.

Just like you cannot sell batchelors supernoodles here as its a UK batchelors brand and not the irish beans brand. Some guy was importing UK stock and sellling in his small shop and he got cease & desist letters from batchelors ireland. They are mcdonnells supernoodles in ireland.

Similar issue with Tayto, you can/could order Irish tayto online and have it sent to anywhere in the world but not the UK.

Some small independent offie might have it. Almost certain I got it in some small offie in the 90s here. I have definitely drank it and it was just like any bog standard cider to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

fussyonion wrote: »
    and wish someone would bring out a nice dry cider on draught
    MacIvor and Falling Apple aren't exactly dry-dry, but they are both very nice and available increasingly on draught. Worth a go if you see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

It's fairly rank, far too sweet, teenagers might go for it but that's about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I have never had Orchard Thieves yet. But, I know one thing: I hate the TV ads for it about the 'farmer' and the 'fox'. Silly.

That said, those ads have lead me to be curious about the cider behind them. Some sort of making an ad that's 'so bad, it's good' maybe?

After reading this thread, now I am brought back to brands I used to have during my initial years drinking. Some of which I did not notice going. Hudson blue was everywhere around 1997. I am unsure how long Breo lasted. Definitely was around in 1999 I remember well. 1998-2000 I would predict? Then, there was Hoffmans which was dominant in the 1980s, definitely still around in the late 1990s and maybe up to early 2000s.

I had some of these pear ciders and they were not so nice. I remember I enjoyed Breo but found Hudson Blue to be very acidic. Do not remember much about Hoffmans and as far as I recall it was just another variant of the Harp, Heineken, Carlsberg, Budweiser type drink.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hoffmans was one of the regional products Diageo slowly murdered I believe, think it was the Phoenix connected lager? May not be remembering things right there though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The story goes that when a batch went wrong at Mary Street it went into tank 13. When tank 13 was full you had a fresh batch of Hoffmans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

There must be something wrong with me, I didn't find it sour at all. Sweet alright, but yeah I liked it. Not artificial tasting like so many of them. Actually tasted apples too, which was a nice change.

Taste is a very personal and subjective thing. Theres nothing wrong with you, you just like different things. I'm not crazy about chocolate. My other half thinks Im crazy as a result.

Maybe I should stop coming onto this forum. Its full of "how does blah taste?" and "Will I like blah?". No one can tell you. Apparently Laphroaig is one of the most popular whiskies. I can't stand it. I also can't stand coffee. People like different stuff. If you need other peoples validation of drinking something, then you need to look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Had two pint bottles of this a few weeks ago,found it a bit on the sweet side ... Definitely Enough in the two bottles ,was out last week and had it on draft ...the worst cider I have had,I could not even finish the pint. Sickly sweet .
    I would normally drink stonewell where I can get it..or bulmers if stonewell not available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I found this far too sweet, I'm mostly a Vodka drinker but my 'night-out' drink would be cider. It tastes a lot like Kopparberg, but even sweeter. It's not terrible but it's just too sugary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I'm mostly a Vodka drinker
    I'm not a vodka drinker but was given a bottle of Kalaka Irish vodka recently & it is very palatable, smooth would be my description of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Redhogie

As a Bulmers drinker, liked this drink for a change. but not anymore, suffered severe heartburn both nights I drank it which I have never got before. Back to the reliable clonmel champagne ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Bet you had no hangover. It's tangy is what it is, tangy.

I find it sour, others find it sweet.Roughly 50/50 if you go through the whole thread I think we're all agreed on tangy though.I couldn't drink enough of it to give meself a hangover though, I think its stinkin.As I mentioned before already, I think it's a sneaky attempt by Heineken to tap into the lucrative underage market.Its basically an alcopop.

I find it sour, others find it sweet.Roughly 50/50 if you go through the whole thread I think we're all agreed on tangy though.I couldn't drink enough of it to give meself a hangover though, I think its stinkin.As I mentioned before already, I think it's a sneaky attempt by Heineken to tap into the lucrative underage market.Its basically an alcopop.

hehhehhe :pac:
    It's grand for two fresh drinks but there's not much you could handle of it. I don't see it having longevity. They should put Apple Tree or something on tap in Cork and support the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Lads, I started drinking it and this was THEEE cider

drank it solid for 2 months for nights out as it was on tap everywhere and was loving it.

Had a meal there last week and headed out drinking it. Oh jesus I diiiiied with heartburn for 2 days after the mixture. Put me well off the stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Lunatic24_7

Just an update for all the Cider Drinkers out there…Tried the new Orchard Thieves Wild Orchard, having spend a lot of my life drinking cider, I can tell you the following: If you want an unimaginable headache, drink 4 cans of it. Bulmers USED to be my go-to. Then I moved to Orchard Thieves, but it messed with my gut, then I drank Orchard Thieves Light (not bad as an alternative to anything) but my go-to now is Rockshore Cider. But steer clear of the Wild!

Advertisement