Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worlds best beer......Westvleteren XII

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

aaronm13 wrote: »
    Anyone care to pop up a link or pm where I might be able to buy some bottles. Searched but only got sites with stupid prices. The 40 pound for 8 bottles mentioned earlier in this post sounds doable.

You'd be doing well to get it better that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You'd be doing well to get it better that!

Yeah, seems a good price, just need the link now. It's like the Golden ticket I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

yeah, I've a bottle aging about 3 years now too. Was going to open it when my son was born, then when he was 1.

I shared a bottle with my brother on his wedding day 3 years ago, and he gave me the bottle I have now from his brick.

this beer 'ages' ?

I got this from work, hence the 'cheap' price.!

FWIW

The Westvleteren Brewery (Dutch: Brouwerij Westvleteren) is a Belgian brewery founded in 1838 inside the Trappist Abbey of Saint Sixtus of Westvleteren in the Belgian municipality of Vleteren, not far from the hops-producing town of Poperinge and the medieval city of Ypres. The brewery and its beers are usually referred to as Westvleteren. The brewery's three beers have acquired an international reputation for taste and quality, being considered by a percentage of beer aficionados and judges to be "the best beer in the world" (for Wesvleteren XII, a Quadrupel)[1] as well as the limited availability of the beers which are not brewed to normal commercial demands, but are sold in small quantities weekly from the doors of the monastery itself, to individual buyers after reservation only

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I'll be at the brewery/abbey in August. Looking forward to it. I've had the beer plenty of times and have plenty at home that I have been ageing for years. Great beer, not worth the hype though. I actually prefer Westvleteren 8 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

will knock back soon, my birthday today.

slainte guys

20150612_184725.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Happy birthday Hachiko, enjoy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

belgianbeerfactory.com claims to be selling some online. I have used them before without issue as long as you are patient.

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    belgianbeerfactory.com claims to be selling some online. I have used them before without issue as long as you are patient.

Cheers for the link. Site looks fantastic an very reasonable. €18 delivery for up to 48 bottles too seems good. Time to place an order I think. What am I looking at for delivery times?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

depends on availability, but i'm happy with 2 week turn around. lets say the guy is slow enough to make items out of stock hoping he'll get them in in the coming weeks. :) Fairly contactable tho with email and facebook etc

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

It's a great beer and one of the nicest I've tried but, honestly, I prefer Rochefort 10, not to mention Weihenstephaner Vitus or our own Foam and Fury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Westy12

*SNIP*

Read the forum rules Westy12. What you're suggesting is against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Westy12

Oeps, sorry. It was not my intention to post something against the forum rules. I just wanted to answer the question from aaronm13 in post #32.

Got some of these bad boys this morning. Wife got them for my birthday. Got some Rochefort 10 to compare. Can't wait to try one later.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

whats in the no label ones Westy12 im presuming... why no labels? i have a brick of it but havnt opened yet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

why no labels?
    Labels are for attracting people to a product on a shelf. Westvleteren beers (bricks excepted) are only supposed to be sold from the brewery, so no need for labels. All the statutory information is in tiny writing on the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

laros wrote: »
    The place in the tripadvisor link below is where I tried it, Tho I notice in the link comments they seem to have increased the price to €12 a bottle :(

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g188644-d2704030-Reviews-Au_Bon_Vieux_Temps-Brussels.html

Was in there on Thursday night and it is now €15 a bottle! Didn't go for it as I couldn't stomach the price and I also had a good few beers at that stage and wouldn't have been able to appreciate it fully

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

I paid the full €15 for it in Au Bon Vieux Temps a couple of weeks ago... It's great to have tasted it and as a once off experience, I really enjoyed it. It was an excellent beer but to be honest I prefer Rochefort 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Exclusivity does not 'The World's best beer' make IMHO

A tasty drop indeed, but there are beers out there that are readily available & just as tasty/heady to be had.

Advertisement