Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wine for Wedding from Tesco, Aldi etc?

Options
  • 30-07-2015 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Wedding coming up in a few weeks, and we have no corkage charges to pay, so we are supplying all of the wine and sparkling wine ourselves.

We are on a very tight budget and are looking at getting:

30 bottles of white
    30 bottles of red
    50 bottles of prossecco

Our absolute maximum budget for all of this is €900-€1000

I was hoping Tesco would have their "buy 6 get 25% off" deal this weekend, but it doesn't seem to be advertised anywhere.

They do have various wines reduced to €7 - are there any worthwhile options in this offer? Tesco €7 wines

For red, we tried the Toro Loco from Aldi, as I'd heard people say it was great value. I found it decent enough to be honest, but I'm not a wine drinker usually.

If anyone had any suggestions for a red, a white and a prosecco that would be fantastic.

Would like to pay no more than €7 for the wine and €10 for the prosecco if possible.

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

If you're buying 110 bottles of wine it could well be worth hitting up some wine shops (corkscrew and the like - smaller independent places even better probably). That quantity I'm sure a few would be willing to cut you a pretty good deal.

Tell them you'd like to spend 900-1000 on 110 bottles and ask them what they can put together for you. They'd even put together a mix and match selection for you. Ten of this, ten of that. Print off some cheapo wine lists. Stick them bad boys on the table with a little description of each different wine. Classy as fvck. And you become the legends that had more than a choice of "red or white" at their wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'd try and find a habitual red and white drinker to test some wines for you rather than relying on your own palate if you're not a wine drinker.

I'd lower the number of bottles of Prosecco too and increase the other wines, most people will just drink a half glass of bubbly for the toast and then get back to the "normal" wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Dunnes have 25% back on clubcard points until monday on some wine. There is a large thread in bargain alerts.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057168220

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'd try and find a habitual red and white drinker to test some wines for you rather than relying on your own palate if you're not a wine drinker.

I'd lower the number of bottles of Prosecco too and increase the other wines, most people will just drink a half glass of bubbly for the toast and then get back to the "normal" wine.

Thanks. The prosecco is for the reception drinks as well as the toast after the meal, so that's why there is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

Campo Viejo Reserva is on offer at €10 a bottle this weekend at tesco.... It usually goes for €15... and is a proper €15 bottle -not one of those "half price specials!

Treat you guests to one of my favourite bottles of red!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭geecee

By the way don't forget that champagne flutes are smaller than Red/White glases
    So you should get a lot more than 4/5 glasses of Prosecco per bottle - as schemingbohemia says above i would buy less porsecco and more red/white

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I'm allowing 6 glasses of prosecco in each bottle, and 2 glasses per guest for the reception and 1 glass per person for the toast. So I don't think I can really reduce the number of prosecco bottles.

€10 a bottle is more than our budget for the red/white unfortunately.

A work colleague recommended Santa Rita, and I picked up a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from Tesco (it's €7 at the moment). I'm enjoying it so far. I'd be interested in any opinions on it or any alternatives in a similar price bracket?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Forget Tesco I'd say, it's mostly rubbish.

You're buying at a good time as Curious Wines in Cork are moving warehouses and the wine is discounted up to 32%.

http://www.curiouswines.ie/curious/were-moving-give-us-a-hand/

The only issue is you would have to pop down to Cork to collect it.
    But this is an opportunity to get really great wine from an independent Wine company at fantastic value.

I often buy blind from them and have never gotten a bottle i didn't enjoy and they offer a full money back guarantee if you're not happy with it.

If you're not interested in that or it's too much of a hassel. I would go with a mix of Aldi's Rioja Reserva it's about 8e and the Argentinian Malbec aprox the same price and your guests will be very happy.

For a white Aldi also have a beautiful pinot from Trento at about 6-7e which again your guests would be more than happy with

geecee wrote: »
    Campo Viejo Reserva is on offer at €10 a bottle this weekend at tesco.... It usually goes for €15... and is a proper €15 bottle -not one of those "half price specials!

Treat you guests to one of my favourite bottles of red!

Campo is more Representative of a 7-8e bottle imho.

at 10e here there's no real value

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Curious Wines do deliver. I'm buying the wine for my sister's wedding as a present and I've called to CW.

They have a great selection and will give reductions if buying 48 bottles or more. IIRC, the lowest prices they have would fall around your budget.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Curious Wines do deliver. I'm buying the wine for my sister's wedding as a present and I've called to CW.

They have a great selection and will give reductions if buying 48 bottles or more. IIRC, the lowest prices they have would fall around your budget.

Not for the offer the that I posted. you need to go to the warehouse as it's for the move.

plus with the 32% discount a lot more of their wines will fall into the budget

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Most of the supermarkets have ten quid off on a €50 shop at the moment. That would help improve your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

limnam wrote: »
    Not for the offer the that I posted. you need to go to the warehouse as it's for the move.

Ah, apologies.

I'm planning to buy the wine from them this week, and will send my father in to collect with his van. It's a great time to buy wine from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

You could try a wholesalers like musgraves or value centre. They have offers on for wine. In theory you are supposed to be a business but thats easily solved with a phonecall or simply dropping in and asking.

Advertisement