Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crackdown on Non-Irish Whiskey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Have a look in the likes of Lidl for their "Irish Cream" stuff which is a clear knock off of Baileys. It'll put a stop to that sort of carry on, hopefully.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

KTR1C wrote: »
    Have a look in the likes of Lidl for their "Irish Cream" stuff which is a clear knock off of Baileys. It'll put a stop to that sort of carry on, hopefully.

Ah so it's not whiskey so much as "Irish Cream" products. That makes a bit more sense.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If those are made with Irish spirits the name is entirely legit

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    If those are made with Irish spirits the name is entirely legit

some of the bailey knock offs are made with "wine" or a mix of spirits and wine and I guess it was minimal whiskey in it. I guess the "wine" is sugar water brews which are charcoal filtered.

There was talk of distilleries here wanting triple distillation to be needed before it could be called Irish Whiskey. I think only 1 distillery was still making a double distilled whiskey and they did not want to change.

link here which is quite detailed.

TECHNICAL FILE SETTING OUT THE SPECIFICATIONS WITH WHICH IRISH CREAM MUST COMPLY

others too
    TECHNICAL FILE SETTING OUT THE SPECIFICATIONS WITH WHICH IRISH POTEEN/IRISH POITÍN MUST COMPLY

TECHNICAL FILE SETTING OUT THE SPECIFICATIONS WITH WHICH IRISH WHISKEY/UISCE BEATHA EIREANNACH/IRISH WHISKY MUST COMPLY

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

the cream in Baileys is Irish I have been assured :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

oblivious wrote: »

Yep, you can go visit the cows and all. http://www.theorchardcentre.ie/the-baileys-farm/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

It most definitely is ;)

I was referring to a Lidl product not the ingredients in Baileys.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lidls cheaper Irish Cream is co-branded with their Cooley contract whiskey. Haven't read the labels on either in detail though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is there actual whiskey in Baileys? And if so is all the alcohol from whiskey or just some of it?

loyatemu wrote: »
    is there actual whiskey in Baileys? And if so is all the alcohol from whiskey or just some of it?

There is some whiskey, of which some is Irish :)

• Advertisement

Lidl's "deluxe" Irish cream says it has "fine spirits & Irish whiskey" in it. The Dun Dalgean branded cheaper stuff I don't have in the house...

I don't think there's a legal restriction on what you can claim is a 'fine spirit' so it could be the cheapest grain alcohol going.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

rubadub wrote: »
    There was talk of distilleries here wanting triple distillation to be needed before it could be called Irish Whiskey. I think only 1 distillery was still making a double distilled whiskey and they did not want to change.

That would surprise me. Could it be that single pot still would have to be distilled three times, rather than any Irish whiskey?

Jameson isn't really triple distilled anyway - how could it be?

Kilbeggan do double distillation (as well as triple), as does Cooley and as has Bushmills.

It would be a terrible and impossible decision to limit Irish whiskey to triple distillation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

L1011 wrote: »
    Lidl's "deluxe" Irish cream says it has "fine spirits & Irish whiskey" in it. The Dun Dalgean branded cheaper stuff I don't have in the house...

I don't think there's a legal restriction on what you can claim is a 'fine spirit' so it could be the cheapest grain alcohol going.
    As far as I'm aware Carbery produce a lot of the pure alcohol (made from milk) and cream that goes into a lot of these liquors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

TheChizler wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware Carbery produce a lot of the pure alcohol (made from milk) and cream that goes into a lot of these liquors.
    yup, youre right that the alcohol comes mainly from milk, and actually the flavour is a formulated flavour mix rather than a whiskey based concotion, and when I last asked there was no whiskey at all in Baileys, which the lack of any mention on bottle or website to the presence of whiskey would sortof backup.
    There may have been whiskey originally, but now ?

The actual cream all comes from Virginia in Cavan, which makes me wonder what that farm in Wicklow is on about. (The (Virginia) facility "is the only supplier of cream for the Bailey’s liqueur brand". )

It would also make sense to ditch the whiskey as then Baileys is an "Irish Cream Liqueur" which can only be made in Ireland whereas an "Irish Whiskey Cream Liqueur" could be made anywhere in the world so long as they have a drop of irish whiskey in it

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

where did you hear this? are you saying they are fermenting milk and using it straight or distilling the brewed milk?!
    when I last asked there was no whiskey at all in Baileys,
    who did you ask?

This is on baileys site currently
    http://www.baileys.com/en-row/collection.html
    BAILEYS ORIGINAL IRISH CREAM
    THE PERFECT BALANCING ACT OF AGED IRISH WHISKEY WOVEN WITH FRESH IRISH DAIRY CREAM, A HINT OF COCOA AND VANILLA.

We only use the finest ingredients in our Original Irish Cream liqueur. We source our Irish whiskey from a number of quality distilleries including the famous Old Bushmills Distillery, County Antrim. The whiskey complements the full, richness of the fresh Irish dairy cream, cocoa and heavenly vanilla that all go into our secret recipe. Together they create a multi-award winning taste sensation for you to enjoy.

We believe in staying true to our roots, so every bottle of Baileys is produced and bottled exclusively in Ireland.

Brockagh wrote: »
    Jameson isn't really triple distilled anyway - how could it be?
    http://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/ie/
    HOW IT'S MADE
    Triple distilled whiskey like ours isn’t just born smooth and balanced. It takes our carefully crafted process used over hundreds of years to get it just right. This tradition began in 1780 with the great Master Distiller John Jameson who discovered that three distillations was best for his Jameson Irish Whiskey and we continue his legacy to this day.

your definition might be different than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The pot still content of Jameson is triple distilled and the grain whiskey is technically triple distilled as midleton have 3 separate columns that extract different things from the liquid. So being pedantic Jameson is indeed a triple distilled whiskey. :)

rubadub wrote: »
    where did you hear this? are you saying they are fermenting milk and using it straight or distilling the brewed milk?!
    From someone who worked in a lab there, some patented bacteria converts milk to alcohol basically.

From someone who worked in a lab there, some patented bacteria converts milk to alcohol basically.

Lactose (glucose and galactose dimer) in the whey (liquid part after cheese making) can be fermented by selected yeast .

Black cow in the UK where one of the first to produce a vodka from it and and new one in Ireland Bertha's Revenge Gin

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

lord lucan wrote: »
    The pot still content of Jameson is triple distilled and the grain whiskey is technically triple distilled as midleton have 3 separate columns that extract different things from the liquid. So being pedantic Jameson is indeed a triple distilled whiskey. :)

Well yeah, I know they story they tell, but because each column is a continuous distillation process, it's not really triple distilled. I'm sure the set-up is designed just so they can say "triple distilled", but it can't be.

The pot still component is certainly triple distilled.

Lactose (glucose and galactose dimer) in the whey (liquid part after cheese making) can be fermented by selected yeast .

Black cow in the UK where one of the first to produce a vodka from it and and new one in Ireland Bertha's Revenge Gin
    Yup, but they use some bacteria in this case. Unique method I was told.

• Advertisement

Yup, but they use some bacteria in this case. Unique method I was told.

is it for fuel ethanol rather than consumption?

Nope definitely goes into food products. Baileys was specifically mentioned but I suspect they meant Irish Cream type products in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Both, I believe.
    I think they also produce plastic products.

Blackwater gin is made from a whey base spirit, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

I was once handed a shot of "Hailey's" at a house party in Germany :D

Advertisement