Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anti Bargain Alert Pint Thread

Options
  • 20-07-2015 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭

Thought a thread like this might be of use........

Basically post the pub, the drink concerned and the price that's clearly a rip off. I start the ball rolling.....

Peter's Pub - Pint of Peroni €6.70 :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭yknaa

Trond wrote: »

Basically post the pub, the drink concerned and the price that's clearly a rip off. I start the ball rolling.....

Probably have a winner right there!

Lyrath House (Hotel) charge €7 for a bottle of O'Hara's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

yknaa wrote: »
    Probably have a winner right there!

Lyrath House (Hotel) charge €7 for a bottle of O'Hara's

Got stung with that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I posted this before:

f4gz1h.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Why pay these prices if you dont agree with them? Whats the point in complaining after the fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Why pay these prices if you dont agree with them? Whats the point in complaining after the fact?

In not complaining, the only alternative was to drink something I hated for the sake of a couple of quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The problem with that is, you can hardly give back a drink once they've served you. I can count on one hand the amount of places I know that actually display their prices, allowing you to decide whether or not to buy. It's bizzare, and I don't know why it is the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

It serves as a warning to others. Its also interesting to see what publicans are getting away with....

If id known Peters Pub charged €6.70 for a pint of Peroni I wouldn't have gone in.

3 of us with pints on the bar, Id no idea of the price until I got the receipt with my change...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Peroni is always overpriced, deliberately.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Black sheep 9 euro thornbridge kipling

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The dearest of I heard of, a few years back was €8.60 pint bottles of bulmers, I did not buy it.

I was pointing out the weirdness of the bulmers pricing before. Traditionally pints and longnecks for drinks were about the same price, more or less. So when a pub has pints, longnecks & pint bottles you might get this crazy pricing. If the pint bottle is the same price per ml than a €8.60 pint bottle equates to a €5 longneck.

Which demonstrates the crazy price for longnecks.

That presumably 500ml €7.50 leann follain is €4.95 per 330ml, maybe some pubs have similar markups if bottled. Also it would be a higher wholesale price than mainstream muck.

If the publican was buying in an offie he can get heineken for €1 or less and €3 for the follain. I would not be surprised if a longneck of heineken was €5.50 in that pub. If you work off a % difference between offie and pub then the likes of the €7.50 leann follain is actually relatively good value. Its €3.19 in o briens and €3 in drinkstore.
    The problem with that is, you can hardly give back a drink once they've served you.
    People need to start learning to ask prices in advance, like for the 99% of other items they purchase. People need to break this stupid tradition of not asking, dunno if its fear of looking scabby/stingy but the publicans know about this odd tradition and take full advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Trond wrote: »

Peroni is marketed as a 'super premium' beer , my observation is that it's typically priced at €1 to €1.50 over Carlsberg or Heineken
    It's pricey

The problem with that is, you can hardly give back a drink once they've served you.
    Course you can. If someone asked me for 7.50 after pouring me a pint of domestic pale ale, i'd politely decline the transaction.
    caff wrote:
    Is there somewhere doing pints of Kipling cheaper in Ireland?

Course you can. If someone asked me for 7.50 after pouring me a pint of domestic pale ale, i'd politely decline the transaction.

Is there somewhere doing pints of Kipling cheaper in Ireland?
    Had been drinking it there same pub for months at 7.50 then got shocked when I was charged 9 for it in December last year, haven't been back since

I think the Kipling price is down to Thornbridge, not the Black Sheep. It's very pricey in offys as well anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

caff wrote: »

Most annoyed with the Black Sheep - they keep ratcheting up their prices :(

It seems regardless of what two pints my drinking buddy and I order we always break the €12 mark. I'm rapidly falling out of love with the place.

Some of the keg prices charged by the UK craft breweries would make your eyes water.

Some people will tell you all craft beer is a rip-off when you can buy Carling at 6 for a tenner or whatever. These people are to be ignored.

rubadub wrote: »
    If you work off a % difference between offie and pub then the likes of the €7.50 leann follain is actually relatively good value. Its €3.19 in o briens and €3 in drinkstore.

Good value me hole, it's still 7.50 for a pint!
    rubadub wrote: »

People need to start learning to ask prices in advance, like for the 99% of other items they purchase. People need to break this stupid tradition of not asking, dunno if its fear of looking scabby/stingy but the publicans know about this odd tradition and take full advantage.

I know, and I do ask, especially if the place seems it might be sneaky with its pricing, but again, the customer shouldn't have to ask. The food in a restaurant is always clearly priced, as is anything in any shop that a consumer can walk into off the street, why should it be any different in a pub?

Galway Bay pubs, to be fair, are very good with advertising prices.

irish_goat wrote: »

Most craft places seem to be, alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Good value me hole, it's still 7.50 for a pint!
    I specifically said relatively good value, which I stand by and can still mean poor value, none are what I consider to be a bargain. A longneck of heineken or bud at €5.50 is worse value IMO.
    The food in a restaurant is always clearly priced, as is anything in any shop that a consumer can walk into off the street, why should it be any different in a pub?
    +1, I love pubs with good menus, they tend to be better value too, nothing to hide. The drinks list at the door is a joke, they need only list a single lager, and single stout. I have never seen the mythological full list supposedly in all pubs. Even the well stocked pubs with menus will often have spirits behind the counter which are not on the menu. Have to admit I have never asked for the full menu though.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »

Just wish they would highlight when they have increased prices substantially, not going to check the price everytime I order a pint if its something I order regularly

caff wrote: »
    Just wish they would highlight when they have increased prices substantially, not going to check the price everytime I order a pint if its something I order regularly

You want them to advertise price rises?

You want them to advertise price rises?

Yup as unrealistic as that might be it would remove the shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Just be glad you're not wine drinkers as some people on here would have a heart attack on a restaurant mark up.

Advertisement