Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning to Ireland with a Medical Condition

Options
  • 13-04-2014 5:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,
    I am just wondering if anyone has experience of returning to Ireland with a medical condition that requires maintenance treatment? Any experiences getting setup on the publish health system?

I am Irish Citizen ( born in Ireland) who has lived in Australia for the last 11 years and ,for the last 5 years, have been treated for a rare neurological condition called CIDP ( much like MS but basically my immune system is attacking the nerve sheets in my arms and legs).

Am returning in July and have arranged an appointment with an Irish Neurologist ( public system) by using a referral from my Australian neurologist. I am currently prescribed Intravenous Immunoglobulin every 3 weeks.

I doubt many people have experience with this but just wondering if anyone experienced delays in setting up treatment, necessary documentation or any general info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Durkin33

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I don't have any direct knowledge about CIDP, but a search through irishhealth.com threw up the Guillain Barre Syndrome Support Group:
    >http://www.irishhealth.com/psg/guillain.html< You have to register for access to the site but it's a mine of information on health realated matters.

''The Support Group was founded in 1985 by Glennys Sanders MBE. Its Headquarters are located at Sleaford in Lincolnshire, England. The Group was initially assisted by the GBS Support Group in the USA (now the GBS Foundation International) with which it retains a very close working relationship. The Group is a registered charity (No 327314) employing a part-time staff of two at its Sleaford office.

We provide information and support to those affected by GBS, CIDP and related conditions. Our support activities are restricted to the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. We spread awareness of the illnesses throughout Britain and Ireland and make grants for research projects.''

-Support Group
    -Helpline
    -Journal "Reaching Out", published three times a year
    -Local support contacts and hospital visits
    -Online Discussion Forum

Deirdre Hussey,
    Rep. of Ireland Co-ordinator
    01-839 2796
    Support Helpline 0044 1529 415278
    Web: >www.gbs.org.uk<
    ''

If you visit the website & contact them I'm sure that they would be glad to give you any advice or information that they have.

I wouldn't envisage any problems or delays setting your maintenace treatment. You are Irish & have an RSI number. Once the neurologist has your medical history it should be straightforward enough - well straightforward enough that you would not miss out on or esperience any delays in necessary treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 durkin33

Thank you Cushie! Will give them a call and find out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 resistivism

Durkin 33
    I have only recently gone through the process of getting diagnosed with a neurological disorder despite being symptomatic for almost five years now.accessing neuro services in Ireland can be a challange and sadly frontline GPs tend not to be much help with refferals.
    Currently Ireland has something like 16 neurologist as opposed to the 40-45 which would be appropriate for our population.
    The best thing you can do is contact Muscular Dystrophy Ireland,they are a fantastic organisation with a huge support system which links in with neuro services in Ireland,,even if its just to make sure you get timely appointments..they got me into one of their local monthly clinic days despite my having gone through 3 GPs that refused to refer me to neurology despite my being hospitalised almost 20 times in last 5 years!
    They can also support you in acessing any other services your illness may require and are genuinely effective,well organised and compassionate .
    Pity they dont run the HSE!do yourself a favour and link in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 resistivism

Advertisement