Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability badge (2)

Options
  • 13-03-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Just thought I would start this thread. I had to hand in my disabled parking badge because it needed renewing. I was given a ticket twice because I had a photocopy of it. I think it is disgraceful that I was given a ticket more than once. I think the badges are given away too freely

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Are you sure that you have to hand in the card to renew it? There is no mention of this on the relevant websites;

http://www.iwa.ie/services/motoring/disabled-parking-permit-scheme
    http://www.ddai.ie/index.php/services/parking-permit/how-to-renew-or-replace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭inlikeflynn86

RainyDay wrote: »
    Are you sure that you have to hand in the card to renew it? There is no mention of this on the relevant websites;

I had to return mine last year and wait 2 weeks for new badge to be sent out

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Seanokelly123

RainyDay wrote: »

It was mentioned in the letter that was sent out to me

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

Just thought I would start this thread. I had to hand in my disabled parking badge because it needed renewing. I was given a ticket twice because I had a photocopy of it. I think it is disgraceful that I was given a ticket more than once. I think the badges are given away too freely

To the best of my knowledge to get this badge/card a medical report is needed.

I have an issue with the system that this badge/card needs renewing every 2/years for people that are permanently disabled.

In the meantime I also feel that the office in Ballindine should review how they renew those badge/cards as the changeover period is way too long. In fact if one visits the office with there old Card they should be in a position to give the new one straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Just thought I would start this thread. I had to hand in my disabled parking badge because it needed renewing. I was given a ticket twice because I had a photocopy of it.
    Appeal the fine, explaining the situation, enclosing the details of the new and old badge.
    I think it is disgraceful that I was given a ticket more than once.
    How is the parking warden to know that you have a badge, if you only show a photocopy?
    I think the badges are given away too freely
    Based on your experience, it seems not.
    Grey_Goose wrote: »
    I have an issue with the system that this badge/card needs renewing every 2/years for people that are permanently disabled.
    But what happens with that badge when the holder disposes of their vehicle, passes away or emigrates? They need an expiry date.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    But what happens with that badge when the holder disposes of their vehicle, passes away or emigrates? They need an expiry date.

Hello Victor and thanks for your comments.
    To the best of my knowledge the badge is not affiliated to the vehicle but to the holder. I don't know what the situation is presently if the holder passes away. I expect if the holder emigrates the badge will be needed for the new domicile. In relation to the expiry date, I don't have a problem with it except that to have it renewed there is a cost of €20. It is worth noting those badges are european and have holders identity pic and signature on them which I expect is to avoid abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

renewal of the badge is now €35 every 2 yrs. The same badge in england is £10 which goes to Government. Here we have the IWA which gets the €35, The latest IWA accounts show they recieved €30,000, 000 form HSE last year. As a member of IWA for the last 15 years I have never got anything from IWA without paying.

Its bad enough having a disability, but when groups like IWA also join in fleecing us I give up any hope for this kip.

Big C wrote: »
    renewal of the badge is now €35 every 2 yrs. The same badge in england is £10 which goes to Government. Here we have the IWA which gets the €35, The latest IWA accounts show they recieved €30,000, 000 form HSE last year. As a member of IWA for the last 15 years I have never got anything from IWA without paying.

Its bad enough having a disability, but when groups like IWA also join in fleecing us I give up any hope for this kip.

Hello Big C
    Thanks for the update. I don't know what the criteria is with the Irish wheelchair Association when it comes to helping the members from funds. I am sorry that you are not completely satisfied with them. I agree with Victor that there needs to be some sort of control with the badges. I am thinking that the IWA are using the cost of those badgers as a source of funds for the IWA, but one cannot help but feel there should be a better system for people with disabilites like as you say when one compares to the english system.

The people in the Irish Republic are the poor relations when one compares to the services and benefits offered to people with disabilities in the North of Ireland.

Is the IWA the only lobbly group for people with Disabilities in Irish Republic?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As I understand it, the badges are a loss-making activity of the IWA and Disabled Drivers Association of Ireland (DDAI). http://www.ddai.ie/index.php/services/parking-permit

There are lots of lobbly groups for people with disabilities, the IWA is just one, that focuses on certain issues.

Victor wrote: »
    As I undersstand it, the badges are a loss-making activity of the IWA and Disabled Drivers Association of Ireland (DDAI). http://www.ddai.ie/index.php/services/parking-permit

There are lots of lobbly groups for people with disabilities, the IWA is just one, that focuses on certain issues.

How do you figure it's a loss maker ???
    €35 for a card in a plastic folder

€30 million for a lobby group, every charity is a lobby group

• Advertisement

If there was one major lobby for the disabled incorporating all the other groups I feel there would be a much better and louder voice.

Grey_Goose wrote: »
    If there was one major lobby for the disabled incorporating all the other groups I feel there would be a much better and louder voice.

The one group idea was tried few years ago, they were the ICPD but was torn apart with in fighting and too many charities worried about losing their own little piece of the disability gravy train, Open to correction but we have about 24,000 registered charities, thats 24,000 CEO's + offices and staff, I personally think maybe 23,000 could be done away with.

example how about the four separate organisations that support and help children of the Chernobyl disaster? They no doubt do good work, but do we need four? Why? Not picking on this area just replace Chernobyl disaster with anything else ie children, elderly, disabled etc etc

The one group idea was tried few years ago, they were the ICPD but was torn apart with in fighting and too many charities worried about losing their own little piece of the disability gravy train, Open to correction but we have about 24,000 registered charities, thats 24,000 CEO's + offices and staff, I personally think maybe 23,000 could be done away with.

example how about the four separate organisations that support and help children of the Chernobyl disaster? They no doubt do good work, but do we need four? Why? Not picking on this area just replace Chernobyl disaster with anything else ie children, elderly, disabled etc etc

Surely those 24,000 Charities could afford to pay 2or 3 people to work for the Disabled in General even if it was only for an election year like this year. A big opportunity is been lost with the European Elections and locals. We are where we are I feel because there is no real united voice. I should think all those charities have there own focus and do the best they can with the resources they have available to them.
    I am not sure if the DDAI is a charity or a working group for Disabled Drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The one group idea was tried few years ago, they were the ICPD but was torn apart with in fighting and too many charities worried about losing their own little piece of the disability gravy train,

I never did view it at the time as charities protecting their turf.
    Just never occurred to me I suppose.

The whole thing fell apart at the last meeting of the Interim Council of the ICPD ..... a meeting I attended.

That meeting was held to approve the constitution for the permanent ICPD, and was close enough to the last day possible within the terms of the Interim Council.

On the evening previous to the meeting, MInister John O'Donoghue purported to disband the Interim Council, although apparently he did not really have the power to do so.

He sent his representative to the meeting who succeeded - with help from certain organisations' representatives and probably people who feared losing what benefits they had - in causing sufficient confusion and doubt etc etc that there was no absolutely clear and unambiguous decision made.

After that the government tried to assume the ICPD but failed to get the name, and had thereafter to use PWDI as their lacky, pretending it to be the same representative organisation that was conceived and almost brought to fruition by people with disabilities themselves.

The gov eventually pulled the plug on the PWDI also, after a lot of waste and other activities which were not for the direct benefit of people with disabilities.

It was a noble idea.
    Most people involved did the best they could for the general betterment of the lives of people with disabilities.

It was deliberately collapsed at the last hour by the minister, as apparently all previous attempts had failed .... and there were many, including slanted press coverage, mud-slinging and 'moles' inserted by the 'powers that be'.

I have to be honest and admit I blamed the people with disabilities (and their representatives) present at the time, for their lack of balls and refusal to grasp the bright future that was possible.

Essentially just a bunch of sheeple who would not dare to rock the boat for their own, and their fellow PWDs, benefit.

That is how I felt at the time ...... and in truth I have had little cause to alter that view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I had to return mine last year and wait 2 weeks for new badge to be sent out

On a similar theme, do the passes which are used for the motorway tolls need to be sent back initially for renewal, or is it similar to the DDAI where the renewal form is sent out to the holder prior to expiry.

Thanks, Ben.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    On a similar theme, do the passes which are used for the motorway tolls need to be sent back initially for renewal, or is it similar to the DDAI where the renewal form is sent out to the holder prior to expiry.

Thanks, Ben.

Hi Ben.
    Yes they do, I think they last 2 years and need renewing after that time, You need to contact the supplier of the card, they do not contact you for renewals.
    I think that they are Free of charge

Advertisement