Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J1 San Francisco 2014

Options
  • 13-11-2013 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Noticed quite a few city specific J1 threads opening up around, seeing as I am thinking of venturing to the West Coast of San Francisco thought I'd start one

Basically I've never been on a J1 before.

My biggest concerns lie around accommodation do people have any tips or explanations over how it generally works out on a J1, I am going with 3 maybe 4 friends but we always hear of people staying in groups of 10+.. are we going to be stuck paying massive prices if theres only 3/4 of us?

I hear Berkeley is a good area to stay, any further information?

Also when applying for the J1, where is best to do it through?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PurpleCurtain

I am thinking about hittin up san fran this summer aswell. I'd also be interested to hear of people's j1 experiences there.

I've been on a j1 this summer ('13). Chicago was where i spent the summer and had an amazing time. So to answer some of your general j1 questions..

Accomodation can be hit and miss. Many people don't find accomodation until they reach america. They stay in a hostel for the first few days while searching for somewhere. Most people use craigslist if searching online.

Staying in larger groups is really common on j1, mainly to cut the cost of rent. From my experience most people would be stayin in a place with at least 8 people. Say there is a two bedroom apartment for two grand a month (fair estimate). Between 4 of you guys thats $500/month each while splitting it with a larger group can bring that down. Every year there's the relevant facebook group you can join to find general information on the best areas or to find people to share accom with. Also a deposit on the accom will most likely be needed at the start so you'll need a few hundred dollars for that which you'll hopefully get back at the end.

The company I booked through was go4less. I would recommend them. Others I knew went with USIT. USIT were alot stricter with deadlines about job/ travel updates. (If you failed to contact/ update, you would get emails threatening to remove you from the programme). I don't think prices vary that much between them. Around €1000 is standard enough for the programme fees, visa and flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 finnci

Thanks for the info!

Ive been doing a bit of digging around for information.

Looks like i'm heading to the bay area!..craigslist seems to be the way to go for accommodation and areas like Berkeley seem to be cheapest to rent with cheap(ish) transport to and from the city available!

I've begun the booking process and they are (naturally) being very unclear about quite a few of the expenses involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mairead14

Hey :)
    So me and a friend! (21 and 23) are heading over to San Fran for the summer! Leaving probably end of July to do a bit of travelling around the rest of America! My uncle and cousins live in San Bruno and we will stay with them for a few nights until we get sorted but after that we don't mind sharing to reduce the rent a bit. I think we will have a job in a Irish pub/restaurant hopefully but the only thing is its a good hour on trains/buses from Berkley so that's the only thing that's turning me away from living that far out..and also my uncle said that the Bart stops at a certain time and if your working in a pub and you have to get taxi's back out to Berkley especially a girl on your own it would be very exensive and dangerous so that's why im kinda leaning towards the city.. But then the City is very expensive! So now up in a rut!
    So if anyone is interested in sharing a house with one Roscommon girl and a Kerry GIRL get on to me it would be brill! <mod snip> Pm. Were not that bad! :P Would make it cheaper all around! :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JACKtipp1

Hey lads im 21 and in my third year in UCC looking at going on a j1 for the summer. Couple of my friends are on to me about booking at the minute, thing is I dont drink and I was wondering is there any people in the same boat who are thinking of heading over would be interested in trying to sort something out,

pm me anyway let me know what ye think

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ucd student

Hey, myself and 3 friends are planning on heading to San Fran this Summer, we are thinking of staying in the Berkeley area as its where accom seems more reasonably priced.. big problem for us is getting jobs,, anyone know if they are hard to get during late May/early June? We could gets jobs in construction through a cousin but I believe jobs involving construction are no longer allowed for j1ers.. anyone know if they are strict on that?

• Advertisement

Mairead14 wrote: »
    I think we will have a job in a Irish pub/restaurant hopefully but the only thing is its a good hour on trains/buses from Berkley so that's the only thing that's turning me away from living that far out..and also my uncle said that the Bart stops at a certain time and if your working in a pub and you have to get taxi's back out to Berkley

Reckon I'd like bar work too actually! Any idea if there's many bars / restaurants around the Berkely area that would be likely to hire during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SUMMER14

Hey there, I'm going on a J1 to San Fran this year on my own, so I would be interested in sharing accommodation to keep the cost down etc. I'm going for sure so if you're looking to get numbers to share, I'd be up for it. I'll be flying out last week of May. The earlier you go, the better chance of getting a job, or so i've heard. Oh & i'm 23

If you're interested in sorting something out, sure pm me here <mod snip>

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SUMMER14

Hey there, I'm going on a J1 to San Fran this year on my own, so I would be interested in sharing accommodation to keep the cost down etc. I'm going for sure so if you're looking to get numbers to share, I'd be up for it. I'll be flying out last week of May. The earlier you go, the better chance of getting a job, or so i've heard. Oh & i'm 23

If anyone knows of good places to live and area's for jobs, it would be greatly appreciated.
    If you're interested in joining me on my travels, the more the merrier. !!

If you're interested in sorting something out before we all head off, sure pm me <mod snip>

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I might be going to San Francisco also alone, I'm still undecided about the place for the moment, won't be booking for another few weeks. I'll be 21 at the time, thinking of going in May as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I might be heading to San Francisco still undecided it looks really good there, going alone if I go there, I'll be 21 at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jobrien19

what's up man! myself and my girlfriend are heading to San Francisco this summer on a J1 and were looking to share accomodation with other irish people. what areas were you looking at? get back to me if your be interested in sharing accomodation to keep costs down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jobrien19

heading to San Francisco as well last week of nat looking to share accomodation in Berkeley if anyways up for sharing with a 20 year old lad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mairead14

finnci wrote: »
    Reckon I'd like bar work too actually! Any idea if there's many bars / restaurants around the Berkely area that would be likely to hire during the summer?
    Hey finnci I don't know is there many pubs in Berkley that do hire, you would prob have to be out there very early or either contact them before you go! My family just knows the owners of this one but then its so far from Berkley but have to do its a job sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 la_mcgarr

Looking to head on a j1 in the summer, not too sure on where to go yet but have family in San Fran so it's looking a good destination, plus I could have a job set up in an Irish bar. Just looking on this to hopefully find people that would be interested in house sharing or that, preferably close to the city, it's where most of the jobs are.
    Anyway, i'm 22, going on my own seen as none of my friends are brave enough to go and would love to work for 2-3 months first, hire a car and drive across America..Do a bit of travelling anyway.. No point going if you're not gonna enjoy yourself!

Kinda want to book the j1 soon So if anyone is interested in sharing & travelling get in touch with me on this via pm <mod-snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

@ Everyone in here:

I've snipped some posts for people disclosing personal details on-thread. Please use the PM facility available.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kcleary

Hey everyone :)

Myself and three of my friends are going to San Fran this summer, just wondering does anyone know if you have to have to live in Berkley? Is living in San Fran itself way too pricey?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Just finished the application form for the J1 Visa there! Heading to San Fran myself with one other lad from college and there's a few more possibly going to come too!
    First time doing it so really looking forward to it and hoping it's all they're cracked up to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 gavo32

Hey there!

Myself and my friend are going on a J1 this year. Probably booking flights in the next week or 2. Probably thinking of Berkley in San Fran. Would be interested in sharing with other Irish people, we are both male & 23. Pm if interested :)

kcleary wrote: »
    Hey everyone :)

Myself and three of my friends are going to San Fran this summer, just wondering does anyone know if you have to have to live in Berkley? Is living in San Fran itself way too pricey?

Hey, from what ive heard it is quite a bit more pricey, but you could be lucky!

http://www.padmapper.com/# is handy for checking out stuff like this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rimurray

Mairead14 wrote: »
    So me and a friend! (21 and 23) are heading over to San Fran for the summer! Leaving probably end of July to do a bit of travelling around the rest of America! My uncle and cousins live in San Bruno and we will stay with them for a few nights until we get sorted but after that we don't mind sharing to reduce the rent a bit. I think we will have a job in a Irish pub/restaurant hopefully but the only thing is its a good hour on trains/buses from Berkley so that's the only thing that's turning me away from living that far out..and also my uncle said that the Bart stops at a certain time and if your working in a pub and you have to get taxi's back out to Berkley especially a girl on your own it would be very exensive and dangerous so that's why im kinda leaning towards the city.. But then the City is very expensive! So now up in a rut!
    So if anyone is interested in sharing a house with one Roscommon girl and a Kerry GIRL get on to me it would be brill! <mod snip> Pm. Were not that bad! :P Would make it cheaper all around! :):)

Hi!
    I'm a 22 year old female hoping to head to San Fran too, possibly have a friend with me but at the mo I'm solo! Your post got my attention as I don't want to live in
    Berkeley either, my sis lived in San Fran last summer and said the same things, and they can close the bridge a lot for different reasons which can leave u stuck in Berkeley! Have ye booked? When are ye going etc? Any help appreciated, pretty scared about the prospect of going on my own! PS I'm from mayo :)

• Advertisement

Hey

So I'm hoping to go on a J1 this summer and defo thinking SF as my sister was there last summer and will prob be able get me work.... May or May not have a friend with me but as it stands now I'm solo, so would be nice to be able meet other Irish out there too, as I dunno what do about accommodation!! Defo not living in Berkeley as it's an hour train ride out from the main part of the city and the trains stop at certain times so of you're working in a bar etc you'll have to get taxis home on your own at night and for a girl that's not ideal blah blah blah... Also if they close the bridge for any reason you're kinda stuck in Berkeley! :/ any one any info/help?! Prospect of going on my own is quite scary but I'm a final year student so it's my last chance! :)

la_mcgarr wrote: »
    Looking to head on a j1 in the summer, not too sure on where to go yet but have family in San Fran so it's looking a good destination, plus I could have a job set up in an Irish bar. Just looking on this to hopefully find people that would be interested in house sharing or that, preferably close to the city, it's where most of the jobs are.
    Anyway, i'm 22, going on my own seen as none of my friends are brave enough to go and would love to work for 2-3 months first, hire a car and drive across America..Do a bit of travelling anyway.. No point going if you're not gonna enjoy yourself!

Kinda want to book the j1 soon So if anyone is interested in sharing & travelling get in touch with me on this via pm <mod-snip>

Hey, in the exact same situation as you, have you made any plans like booked anything etc?! Prospect of going in my own quite scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 CNolan11

Hey! Myself and a few friends heading over to San Fran for the Summer as well, everything sorted but Berkeley is too far from The Olympic Club where we will be working so we're looking for somewhere on the actual island itself.
    Been told around SF State is our best shout, does anyone know what the story is with accomm there??
    Gonna be a serious Summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 s78exton

Going out to San Fran around early June for about 10 weeks or so (maybe longer) with 2 friends.. Wouldn't really fancy paying the expensive accommodation and would want to share, we're all good guys and will provide craic haha. PM me if anyone is looking a few people to share with!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

to work in a bar you need to be 21,bar jobs are hard to get as its tips

you need to have worked in bars before,you could get a job as bar back
    washing glasses the bartender shares tips,i think the might give you 20 percent

you have to know how to install a keg you work until about 3 in the morning

its hard to get a place in sf to live,you could get some work painting,outside Kelly moore paints on divisadero you can look it up on maps

theres also an irish pastoral center that might help out,lots jobs in computing,if you play gaa they will get you a job in construction,they play on treasure island

but you will get dumped if your injured,theres no insurance ,buy insurance because a hospital vist will cost an arm and a leg,and the people that run gaa will not help you out,

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/roo/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

What are some of the good frat houses? And does anyone have any contact details for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mattkylesmith

I'm also going solo so I'm up for sharing so if anyone is interested let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Hi,
    I'm in final year, and thinking of heading there alone too. Up for sharing as the previous guy! :)

What are some of the good frat houses? And does anyone have any contact details for them?

I got this from an email sent by Berkeley University themselves in respect to housing during the summer months:

"Fraternities and Sororities: The "Greek" houses are usually not promoted through any listing service, but rather require your presence in Berkeley to inquire in person (quite literally, by knocking on the front door). Most of these houses are on Piedmont Avenue near campus or nearby side streets. Many students have acquired housing this way, but unfortunately it is difficult to arrange in advance. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

finnci wrote: »
    I got this from an email sent by Berkeley University themselves in respect to housing during the summer months:

"Fraternities and Sororities: The "Greek" houses are usually not promoted through any listing service, but rather require your presence in Berkeley to inquire in person (quite literally, by knocking on the front door). Most of these houses are on Piedmont Avenue near campus or nearby side streets. Many students have acquired housing this way, but unfortunately it is difficult to arrange in advance. "

Thanks for that. Could I ask what's the e-mail for the university, they provide accomadation themselves don't they?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement