Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD missing memory

Options
  • 30-09-2013 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Ok so I have an 120 GB SSD and I only have 33.5GB available while only 74GB is being used? So I should have 46 GB available?

Here's a screenshot of the SSD's usage:
    6tqySGM.jpg

SSD:
    Samsung SSD 840 120GB SATA 6Gb/s

System specs:
    i5 3570K normal speeds,
    Sapphire HD 7870 XT Boost
    8GB 1066MHZ RAM
    1TB HDD
    120GB SSD

P.S: I have already set my pagefile off and removed hibernation. I went from 2GB free to 20GB and then deleted files from games that I wasn't using and went back to 33.5GB. Also, the Origin file in the bottom corner is preloading BF4 Beta and this problem occurred before attempting to download the beta.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

A 120GB drive's formatted capacity is 111GB. So your missing a GB or two somewhere, could be the BF4 beta though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

recovery partition, likely hidden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Sounds just about right... looking at a 120 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD here, total disk space is 111 GB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

SI GB = 10^9 = 1000000000 bytes

IEEE GB = 2^30 = 1073741824 bytes.

1000000000 / 1073741824 = 0.93

120 * 0.93 = 111.6

SSD/HDD manufaturers like to use the larger number. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MyNameIsBoxxy

Okay thanks guys ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU should be able to see recovery partition, on control panel,
    Administration , storage ,
    if its there leave it as is.
    AT least on xp, or win7, theres usually a 3rd partition, 100megabyte,
    i think it holds files for windows boot, or system restore.

riclad wrote: »
    AT least on xp, or win7, theres usually a 3rd partition, 100megabyte,
    i think it holds files for windows boot, or system restore.

Certainly not in XP, only in Windows 7 and later this partition is created, it contains the boot configuration database and files necessary for Bitlocker. If you decide never to encrypt your drive with Bitlocker, you don''t need this partition. But if you want to install Windows 7 (or later) without it, you'll need to partition the drive with a 3rd part partitioning tool.

on most pcs i look at there,s usually 3 partitions ,
    1 100meg, 1 restore hidden partition, then main partition that holds the
    os .
    i think its best leave the 2 smaller partitions as the are ,as you may need them in future .

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

on most pcs i look at there,s usually 3 partitions ,1 100meg,

As Torqay said, the 100MB partition is Windows 7 and Windows 8 only ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

How riclad types.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQCSI196TM5_9x5TbfXfeiVBHA_iSZDUapXAGSYm_PwHr9nBTfxeQ

• Advertisement

Okay after downloading the beta I'm down to 28.3GB...any more ideas on what could be taking up those GBs?
    I know it's only around 8GB being mysteriously used but that's quite a lot in terms of downloading games...BF4 with all DLCs will be around 24GB and I don't wanna delete my BF3 or ArmA 2 files or I can't play BF3 or Dayz...

Btw I couldn't find a "recovery partition" in the control panel and I deleted my past recovery points (they were 9GB) but it made no use as they were stored on the E drive, my 1tb HDD.

Do,nt mix up system restore points with the hidden partition that holds windows os reinstall , recovery data.
    I Should have said Control panel ,admin,computer management,storage , disk management,

My pc says one partition healthy ,recovery partition, 8.39 GIG .

then 2 primary partitions,
    1 1oo meg.

1 boot partition 220gig.

I,M running win7 basic, win 7 pro could take up even more space, 9 gig plus.
    the recovery partition has grey lines going crossways ,
    ,maybe to indicate its A hidden drive partition.
    it Does not show up if you click MY Computer .
    I get drive c ; and drive d ; dvdrom drive.

This is a cache ,windows 0s virtual memory .
    CAN be reduced if you have loads of pc ram.

http://lifehacker.com/5426041/understanding-the-windows-pagefile-and-why-you-shouldnt-disable-it

Download install cCleaner ,it deletes ,old temp files that you do not
    need.
    MAYBE SET it NOT to delete cookies ,
    eg AS this may effect login, password, settings for sites you use alot ,eg gmail, youtube etc.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I have a standard sata hard drive, i disable drive indexing on all my pcs.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Okay after downloading the beta I'm down to 28.3GB...any more ideas on what could be taking up those GBs?
    I know it's only around 8GB being mysteriously used but that's quite a lot in terms of downloading games...BF4 with all DLCs will be around 24GB and I don't wanna delete my BF3 or ArmA 2 files or I can't play BF3 or Dayz...

Btw I couldn't find a "recovery partition" in the control panel and I deleted my past recovery points (they were 9GB) but it made no use as they were stored on the E drive, my 1tb HDD.

As has been said, the formatted capacity of the drive is 111GB. From your screenshot you have 74.5GB used, which leaves 36.5GB that you should have remaining. You have 33.5GB remaining, so you're only missing 3GB.
    However, WinDirStat can't see how much space is being taken up by System Restore points. If you run "vssadmin list shadowstorage" from an elevated command prompt I think you might see where your missing 3GB of space is.

If you want to disable System Restore, here is how to do it (at your peril).

I BOUGHT a wd passport drive yesterday,on the box it says 500 gig hd,
    IN control panel, storage, disk management, it says, 465.7 gig,

So thats like minus 34 gig .
    no sign of any hidden partition,
    one partition of 465gig.
    I have the manuals,test diagnostic programs, etc on the disk, did not read em yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Did you read Marco Polo's post, Ric, lad? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I BOUGHT a wd passport drive yesterday,on the box it says 500 gig hd,
    IN control panel, storage, disk management, it says, 465.7 gig,

So thats like minus 34 gig .
    no sign of any hidden partition,
    one partition of 465gig.
    I have the manuals,test diagnostic programs, etc on the disk, did not read em yet.

worf-startrek-facepalm.gif

500*0.93 = 465GB. Congratulations, you have 700MB more than you should, according to my low resolution math.

i,m not complaining ,i read the post,
    THE point is the actual usable space on a drive ,is significantly less than the no of gig on the box, label.

It says 465 gig drive e: IN my computer , I, M happy with that.
    its usb 3 so it s faster than my other drive

The capacity (i.e. the "actual usable space") of your drive is 500,105,216,000 bytes which equals 465.76 GB

• Advertisement

When I deleted a bunch of "old files" from my battlefield 3 folder that were called "Patch 1" "2" ... "5" etc, turns out they were the expansion packs...redownloaded them and went back to 13GB so I just moved my steam folder to my HDD and now I'm back to 55GB on the SSD - just informing you guys, not like it matters lol

Advertisement