Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese attitude towards Irish?

• 08-02-2012 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Are the Irish viewed as a minority or given any hassle by people in Japan?
    I'd like to move their when I finish college and was wondering what their attitude towards us is like. I myself don't look down on them or any other race for that matter.

EDIT: I will be trying to move to Tokyo with a degree in pharmacy, if that makes any differance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

You'll be looking down on them when you go over.

Their very small. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Japan doesn't really have too many immigrants afaik. Japanese society is very homogenous and while I wouldn't exactly describe them as racist they don't seem the kind of society that readily warms to foreigners. That's not to say they're unfriendly e.t.c., just slow to trust foreigners.

I've never actually been to Japan but that's just the impression I get from stories i've heard about the country and its people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Fmurr34

Lol nice one :D Given my size I'll feel right at home then!

And I intend to try and learn standardized japanese before I go. Possibly take a separate class in it while I'm in college

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Don't know about the country and population as a whole but I have met many many Japanese people and they are very nice people without exception, I think there is a distinct difference in how nice Japanese people are over Chinese in my own experience too, not that that is particularly relevant I suppose!. Would love to have the opportunity to move to Japan..... So jealous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Japan doesn't really have too many immigrants afaik. Japanese society is very homogenous and while I wouldn't exactly describe them as racist they don't seem the kind of society that readily warms to foreigners.

I've never actually been to Japan but that's just the impression I get from stories i've heard about the country and its people.

I've been and met a number of people who work/worked there. They are in the main very polite people but you're correct in they don't always like foreigners. Being called a gaijin will most probably happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

For the most part, haven't a clue it exists, so wouldn't really have a general attitude towards us. Some might have heard of Robbie Keane or Enya, but that's about it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Ah, you'll stick out about as much as any other Gaijin.

But, nah, there are dicks wherever you go in the world. most people are cool.
    I got more wierd looks in Guangzhou than in Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I've lived here for 4 months now, people are generally very polite, except on trains where everyone is out for themselves. I've yet to hear anyone use the G word, though if they do, it should be the polite version "Gaikokujin", and not Gaijin, so listen out for which way they express themselves.

I think perception is generally much better for Westerners, sadly if you have Chinese or Korean descent, things might be a bit more socially awkward.

In short, 9/10 they think that you're American or British, but no one is gonna hate you for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

pierrot wrote: »
    Some might have heard of Robbie Keane or Enya, but that's about it...

I've met quite a few of Japanese from my travels and they seem like a really nice nationality. Very polite and engaging.
    One thing I've learned is they LOVE Westlife, so be prepared for that!

There's no bleeding escaping those f**kers! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

I dont know about Japan,but I have been to other parts of east Asia and the majority of people never heard of Ireland.You are likely to be regarded as either American or British or perhaps Australian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

lc180 wrote: »
    I've met quite a few of Japanese from my travels and they seem like a really nice nationality. Very polite and engaging.
    One thing I've learned is they LOVE Westlife, so be prepared for that!

There's no bleeding escaping those f**kers! :D
    LOL Yeah thats true out there,they all know Westlife...just say you are from Westlife land ;)

Oooohhh God.....Westlife? Really?
    THEY'RE THE MAIN REASON I'M LEAVING! D:

I kid I kid xD Apparantly they like Enya too? Friend had a penpal there and she told him a lot about they're culture and all that good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Fmurr34 wrote: »
    I'd like to move their when I finish college and was wondering what their attitude towards us is like. I myself don't look down on them or any other race for that matter.

EDIT: I will be trying to move to Tokyo with a degree in pharmacy, if that makes any differance.

The degree in Pharmacy will only get you a language teaching job if you are moving there on speck unless you have been hired or head hunted from a company in Japan for a job in pharmaceuticals

As a minority ... There are 1000 Irish living in Japan. There are about the same number ...1000 Japanese living in Ireland.

In Japan you are just a white Gaijin and will be treated like one . You will always be the outsider no matter how well you speak the language.

Still, a nice country and a nice people.

Be careful on your return .... re-entry to Irish culture is a major shock so try avoid coming home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Fmurr34 wrote: »

They know almost nothing about Ireland in general -- often confuse us with Iceland!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

Absolutely fine - you are white and so will be classed as American from a distance regardless. Japanese knowledge of Ireland is quite basic. Once they know you are Irish they will ask you about Guinness, Bono and Enya, just play along :/

There are St. Patricks Days parades in most of the major cities - if you are here in March go along to one. In 2007 they lit up Tokyo Tower all green to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Ireland Japan diplomatic relations, that was a sincere gesture of the importance of Ireland to Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I am in Japan right now.

Some observations...

I am in a busy Starbucks and there are three empty tables next to me. Japanese people walk towards the tables but when they see me they quickly change direction.

I am on a packed bus and the seat next to me is free. No one will sit there.

I get on the subway and sit down. The man sitting next to me immediately gets up and moves away.

I have tried to go into some bars and have been told "Japanese only".

I look normal (dress well, clean cut, etc.) and have good hygiene. :)

So although Japanese people are super polite and generally quite friendly when you speak to them, there is definitely some sort of fear of foreigners going on.

But I find this stuff sort of interesting rather than offensive. It's a great country and it's very civilised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I am in Japan right now.

Some observations...

I am in a busy Starbucks and there are three empty tables next to me. Japanese people walk towards the tables but when they see me they quickly change direction.

I get on the subway and sit down. The man sitting next to me immediately gets up and moves away.

So although Japanese people are super polite and generally quite friendly when you speak to them, there is definitely some sort of fear of foreigners going on.

But I find this stuff sort of interesting rather than offensive. It's a great country and it's very civilised.

That crap pissed me off for a while... now I just find it funny! 'Gaijins' seem to have an awfully bad reputation with a lot of Japanese people. Thankfully I think this is changing a huge amount nowadays.

Out of interest Mr. L, what city were you in? I've found more country cities are way more welcoming of foreigners than say Tokyo.

Right now I am in Tokyo!

Not sure if I've noticed if Tokyo is less afraid or more afraid though.

But like you, I find it funny. I'm doing my bit for us foreigners though! Giving up my seat on the subway when it's busy. It seems to be going down well. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

OP one word of warning. If like a friend of mine who worked there for a few years, your overweight then they will actually point and laugh at you in public.

• Advertisement

Right now I am in Tokyo!

Not sure if I've noticed if Tokyo is less afraid or more afraid though.

But like you, I find it funny. I'm doing my bit for us foreigners though! Giving up my seat on the subway when it's busy. It seems to be going down well. :)

yeah I was Tokyo myself! Its mad going down the country after living in Tokyo... I was amazed when people were actually friendly and speaking in Japanese rather than awful broken english! Also in general people in izakayas etc just talk more.

Tokyo is definitely a kind of cold place at times I thought.. still loved it though and the good far outways the bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

I am in Japan right now.

Some observations...

This is a bit too much ... some of the above does happen, especially in Tokyo, but not quite to those extremes. In Tokyo, people are far more weary of foreign people and tend to give a wide berth in quieter places. People here like to be left alone. I have seen many a hapless dude try to talk to girls in Cafes / on trains.

Being refused entry into a Bar - thats probably a local 'snack' bar / places in which you need to be introduced by someone known to the Owner of the establishment. Never had this happen to me personally in all the years have lived here. Perhaps you should go to an Izakaiya rather than to smaller bars.

Ride the Yamanote / Keihin everyday and not had people give a dam who is there, they are too busy engrossed in their gadgets.

When being a foreigner here works for you (e.g. getting good attention from the girls) you dont hear any complaints... just sayin'

daelight wrote: »
    This is a bit too much ... some of the above does happen, especially in Tokyo, but not quite to those extremes.

Those all happened to me within the past 12 days.

And I want to reiterate I dress well, don't have any tattoos or weird hair, and don't have bad hygiene!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Be careful on your return .... re-entry to Irish culture is a major shock so try avoid coming home.

This !!!! You arrive back in Dublin Airport, to be joined with all other internal flight arrivals, and the noise of people hits you again !

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Those all happened to me within the past 12 days.

And I want to reiterate I dress well, don't have any tattoos or weird hair, and don't have bad hygiene!

I can second that opinion of daelight, I've been working here for 4 months now, came here every year for the last 3 years (twice a year), and haven't experienced half which you've had in 12 days. I'm gonna call it back luck on your part, which in fairness can happen.

Where I work requires me to use both a local train, and the Yamanote line in terms of travel. And I'm pretty scruffy, so they certainly don't mind that!

Ah yeah, could be bad luck, but there is no doubting they are less comfortable with foreigners than most other countries.

I should point out I am very observant as well (I love people watching) so I may notice things most people would miss.

Ah yeah, could be bad luck, but there is no doubting they are less comfortable with foreigners than most other countries.

I should point out I am very observant as well (I love people watching) so I may notice things most people would miss.

Maybe a small does of paranoia thrown in too :)! I noticed it too, and it definitely happens. Not an everyday thing or anything but without a doubt it does.

@Daelight, I don't really get why you would question it doesn't happen to these 'extremes'? I know of numerous other cases of mild racism in Japan other than in that list!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I've lived in Tokyo for almost two years now and I've met about four Irish people in total, one of whom being the husband of a Japanese woman I knew from Ireland. We're a minority of the minority. Many Japanese don't even know where Ireland is, and to echo Nakey's comment above, there was one time when I explained to an elderly Japanese woman that I was from Ireland only to be shot a look of concern and asked "oh dear, is your family OK? I heard about the big volcano eruption!"

"Mr. Loverman", if you saw the way some foreigners (OK, Americans) behave towards Japanese in the situations you described, you might understand why some keep their distance.
    Monkeyto wrote: »
    I've yet to hear anyone use the G word, though if they do, it should be the polite version "Gaikokujin", and not Gaijin

'Gaikokujin' is more of a silly PC term than a 'polite' version of gaijin IMO. When a Japanese person uses the term 'gaijin', 90% of the time they simply mean 'foreigner' rather than any negative connotation.

Having been referred to as a 'gaijin-san' a number of times, I'd challenge someone who thinks that the term is pejorative to explain why the honourific '-san' suffix was applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

If you want to know about racism in Japan, Google or best is to Wiki for this dude Arudou Debito (AKA) Dave Aldwinckle . He's become a bit of a bore of late within the gaijin community tramping around the country flogging his books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd echo most of the above.

The Japanese don't have any attitude towards the Irish - most of them don't have any idea where we're from. In my Eikawa days, I used to put 500yen on the table in 100yen coins and ask people to guess where I was from. After America, England, Australia, most of them used to just run out of ideas. The smarter ones would avoid guessing the big 3 and go for Canada and New Zealand, and after that, people would guess France, Denmark, Russia, wherever except Ireland. Only once did I have to give away more than 100yen.

I've had something which could be described as racist happen only once - I went to look at a flat, and decided to take it, so I went to the real estate agent and filled in the forms, only to get a call later explaining that the landlord/owner didn't want me as they weren't comfortable with somebody who couldn't speak good Japanese.

Otherwise, I've been treated with respect everywhere, and even met a few people with an interest in Ireland. I was in Matsumoto and met a guy in a bar who was obsessed with the music of Sharon Shannon, and just a couple of days ago I visited a doctor who wanted to know whether oilskin woolen coats were still made in Donegal (Sadly, I wasn't able to help him).

One of the things which happens here is that Japanese people are so non-confrontational that foreigners feel they can get away with some ignorant behaviour, whereas in a lot of other countries, they'd get their heads kicked in pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MrShine

Balmed Out wrote: »
    OP one word of warning. If like a friend of mine who worked there for a few years, your overweight then they will actually point and laugh at you in public.

I've been here in Tokyo for over two months now, and I'm fairly overweight, and this has never happened to me.

I've found the people to be mostly polite and friendly. The customer service here is amazing. I don't speak any japanese, but the waiters or shop clerks do everything they can to help. I'm not looking forward to going back to Irish customer service.

I have noticed people not sitting near me on the train though. Weirdly enough, it seems to happen more when I'm dressed for work in my suit, rather then when I'm just in a hoody/t-shirt and jeans. I don't mind though, more space for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

MrShine wrote: »
    I have noticed people not sitting near me on the train though. Weirdly enough, it seems to happen more when I'm dressed for work in my suit, rather then when I'm just in a hoody/t-shirt and jeans. I don't mind though, more space for me!

I envy your commute, where you not only get to sit, but there is so much free space that people can decide whether to sit near you or not!

On my commute (Midousuji line, Osaka) it's pretty packed so people get to stand beside me and if they don't like it, tough! Anyway everyone's concentrating on their phones and ignoring their fellow passengers.

About the Ireland/Iceland thing - I've only been here for a few weeks and I'm already tired of it.

Them: What country?
    Me: Ireland
    - Iceland?
    - No, Ireland. It's a different country.
    - Is it very cold? Does it have a lot of volcanoes?
    - No, that's Iceland.

Fair enough if they've never heard of Ireland (and most people haven't). It's a small country on the other side of the world. But why the heck do they all know about Iceland, which is even smaller?

hibby wrote: »
    why the heck do they all know about Iceland, which is even smaller?

Because it's very cold, and it has a lot of volcanoes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Because it's very cold, and it has a lot of volcanoes.

Exactly. A lot more exciting than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MrShine

hibby wrote: »
    I envy your commute, where you not only get to sit, but there is so much free space that people can decide whether to sit near you or not!

I get a train from the first station on one line, to the last station on another, so I'm generally one of the first people on the train. When I have to change lines, in Shinjuku-Sanchome, it's always packed solid too. It's horrible.

I've gotten the Ireland/Iceland thing too, from a few of my students. When I asked if they know any famous Irish people, they often say Bjork.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I've gotten the Ireland/Iceland thing too, from a few of my students. When I asked if they know any famous Irish people, they often say Bjork.

I remember watching a Japanese movie, I can't quite recall the name of it. I think it may have been Love Exposure but I could be mistaken. Any way in the film one of the female characters says she will be a 'strong woman' from now on and she mentions a few female celebrities as examples, one of which is one of the Nolan sisters, who are supposedly quite popular in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

let's hope they're a little more in the loop than the Chinese:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

What would be Irish attuide to Tawianese?

There is your answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

What would be Irish attuide to Tawianese?

There is your answer?

This. I dont see why we should care so much either. I never got the whole thing of Irish people wanting to be known by other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

I was only there for two weeks and one thing I discovered was the change in attitude once they discovered you weren't American, especially in Tokyo. But still overall the friendliest country I've ever been to :D Loved it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

vangoz wrote: »
    I was only there for two weeks and one thing I discovered was the change in attitude once they discovered you weren't American, especially in Tokyo. But still overall the friendliest country I've ever been to :D Loved it!!

Was it a good change in attitude or a bad change in attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

Was it a good change in attitude or a bad change in attitude?

Good :D Not that anyone had a bad attitude in the first place, it went from polite courtesy to genuine friendliness. Happened in quite a few bars we were in. I'm heading back this September :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Just curious, but has the train been packed ? i.e. the only seat left is next to you?
    I thought the same for a long while, but noticed that people just don't sit close to each other here, it's impolite, they give each other as much space as possible. When the train is packed people have no problem sitting next to me, nor standing next to/on me.

Also, if space is made available by people getting off the train, it's polite to re-seat yourself so that your not sitting next to someone. People will always scoot to the edge/by the door if that seat becomes free. Even when it's not full people have sat next to me, old/young/people with kids..

If you watch how local people behave to each other on the train, I think you'll notice there's plenty of overlap on stuff people deem racist.

I'm not saying there aren't plenty of ignorant people here (same as anywhere), but a lot of the actions people say are racism, are just cultural differences or big city/low space considerations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Attitude is probably sympathetic, there right now in the wake of the rapes / murder two of our girls suffered by some Americans

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Freefaller

I think their are two ways to look at this. People in the west sometimes expect everything to be the same as their home country when they go away. Its very important when you are in Japan or any Asian country for that matter to not go their with the intent that they should know you, and know where you are from. Have a big hello from the plane haha

The west is very individualistic. Japan is a nation where people are very together and working together, individualism is frowned upon to an extent. The togetherness and working together for good can be seen in how quickly they recovered after the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

So they don't know where Ireland is, and you feel that you are looked upon unfavourably by the Japanese, or that they are racist. I don't think that at all. I think you will be given opportunities to show that you respect the Japanese and their culture. And when you are respectful, you will be all the more favourable included. I guess it is the same for everything, just be respectful. (que too idealistic comments :-) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

apparently it's because of the fact that almost all petty crime (theft,assaults, etc) are committed by Americans, that there is a distrust or at least weariness of all caucasian gaijin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Freefaller

I agree groutch if it wasn't for the westerners Japan might even have a lower crime rate, if that is possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

People really want to talk to you, and will make an effort but once they ask you where you are from and you tell them, their attitude doesnt change at all. They seem to mostly indifferent really. White is White I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

apparently it's because of the fact that almost all petty crime (theft,assaults, etc) are committed by Americans, that there is a distrust or at least weariness of all caucasian gaijin.

Please provide some evidence to support your assertion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Tristram wrote: »
    Please provide some evidence to support your assertion.

I would just like to re-iterate Tristram's post here. Sweeping statements are completely fine as long as you have some sort of source to back it up with. Otherwise those statements may be considered racist and offensive to the people mentioned.

the groutch, I will allow you a chance to post evidence for your claim. Otherwise I will be removing your post and - this is for everyone - any more posts of that nature will be dealt with accordingly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement