Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Irish army is fighting in Afghanistan

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    First off, it's my dad. Secondly, I know in what capacity he served and thirdly, who are you too tell me if I can take pride in my father's service record.

I wouldn't even let that post worry you, he managed to get himself into a fit of hysterics so bad that he couldn't even read your post properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

mattjack wrote: »
    I wouldn't even let that post worry you, he managed to get himself into a fit of hysterics so bad that he couldn't even read your post properly.

It doesnt bother me tbh, i just felt I had to reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

stoneill wrote: »
    Jasus lads - Calm down!

This bloke first and foremost wanted to be a soldier.
    He tried the Irish Army, they turned him down.
    He still wanted to be a soldier.
    He tried the British Army, they took him.
    I'm sure if they had tuned him down he would be in the U.S Army at this stage.

Give up the old shoite about the Brits being out oppressors, you are showing your ignorance. The rich oppress the poor, while we were all being told to feck off to Connaught, at the same time the poor and defenceless masses in the UK were being sent down mines at 10 years old or working in mills 12 hours a day at 8 years old.
    The Brits didn't oppress the Irish - Rich oppressed poor - it's the same the world over and right through history. It suits the rich for your small mind to think that it's a national thing, or a sectarian thing, it keeps you busy elsewhere and lets them continue to make money on the backs of the poor.

And the rich use the British Army and other brutes to oppress the poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Dear Mr Canvasser - you are beginning to rave.

How tiresome.

tac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

[Mod]Canvasser, you've been back all of three days from your three-week ban. Can you give me any good reason at all for not now imposing a one-month ban for baiting and otherwise antagonising a member? Infraction[/mod]

• Registered Users Posts: 22 thebigfella1

This post has gone on for pages on the defination of a mercenary. In my opinion people serve in there army for 3 reasons:
    1) Pride in the flag (this shouldn't be forgotten because there is no feeling like being on the square when the flag is lifted with a Bn)
    2) A want to soldier (which this young man has definatly shown)
    3) Reward (money)

If for example Ireland was invaded tomorrow, I guarantee there would be a guerilla force of 100,000 within weeks. In other words any 2 of the above will do for a soldier.

I have no doubt that this fella would jump at the chance to switch the flag on the uniform. But until he is offered the fault is not at his door.

I for one am proud he is Irish.

Up until WW1! 2/3 of the medal of honours issued in the american army where to people of Irish claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

5 months it took you to spam a thread with provo nonsense from wiki. Is your life that empty?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    The Irish army is not fighting in afganistan. Its a tipp man who wanted to be an Irish solider but didn't get in because she suffered with asthma as a child. So he moved to the UK and joined their army to get some real action. He is not the only Irish man in the british army their is thousands of us.

It's nothing to be proud of! You're basically a mercenary for imperialism and NATO terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Don't know if this is who you are thinking about but Robert McKibben from Westport was KIA and the band of the Royal Marines played at his funeral in Westport, another Irish hero.

What are you blathering about? What did he do to make him a hero? He fought in a foreign imperialist conquest and died. He was stupid. If he stayed home he'd still be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Blay wrote: »
    The PDF actually are in Afghanistan as part of ISAF.

All seven (7) of them?

http://www.isaf.nato.int/images/stories/File/20131014_131001-ISAF-Placemat.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

old_aussie wrote: »

Bit late with that reply wouldn't ya say?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    The Irish army is not fighting in afganistan. Its a tipp man who wanted to be an Irish solider but didn't get in because she suffered with asthma as a child. So he moved to the UK and joined their army to get some real action. He is not the only Irish man in the british army their is thousands of us.

That this illiterate garbage gets 20 likes is symptomatic of the calibre around here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

My advice to those who are unhappy about Irish people joining the British Armed Forces - if you don't like the post, ignore it, like I try and do most of the time. Abusing the poster, as far as I know, is still not a part of this forum, unless things have changed here.

Of course, the list of Irishmen who joined American forces since the revolution is nigh-on endless. Howsabout picking on some of them, and give the British Army a break for a while. Y'know, extend the old hate horizons?? Share the hate around a bit? I'm sure you get the idea. ;)

tac

ConorR32 wrote: »
    What are you blathering about? What did he do to make him a hero? He fought in a foreign imperialist conquest and died. He was stupid. If he stayed home he'd still be alive.

A little political discourse. is well and good. Immature insults not so much.

In any case, I have no idea why this thread has been resurrected. Locking.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement