Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE ELECTION MORATORIUM WHY?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭

i could never get my head around this,
    is it because we as a nation might be inclined to vote for a certain party
    because someone in radio or tv says so at the last minute
    i thought that was the whole point of the campaign???
    to get us to vote a certain way?
    why this state nanny moratorium gag put on media?? is it legal
    love to hear any views on this
    does this happen in any other country?
    if this has been gone over before please excuse this newbie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RetroBate

It's a kind of Feng Shui thing.

A zen moment of reflection before voting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cos the people are sick sore and tired of the meeja being infested with waffling politicans, pundits and presenters by this point. We used to get a whole 24 hours without the bilge pumps now its only 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭jakdelad

wow zen???? really

was this a green initiative?:)
    how thoughtfull has any other country taken this enlightened approach
    at election time?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Imagine Bob is an independent candidate in a marginal constituency.

On the morning of the vote, someone else accuses Bob of being a fraudster - he used to work in a bank and defrauded customers. Sure, he left the bank really quickly and look at the fancy car he drives and the nice big house he lives in.

The reality is that he took redundancy, which paid for the car and his wife owns the house, which she inherited from her parents.

There are many worse accusations than being a fraudster.

If the above was broadcast / communicated to a substantial portion of Bob's electorate, say by text message or via the web, it would be very difficult for him to counter that message in the space of a few hours. If could be enough to swing things by the required few hundred votes.

Hence the moratorium.

Victor wrote: »

On the morning of the vote, someone else accuses Bob of being a fraudster - he used to work in a bank and defrauded customers. Sure, he left the bank really quickly and look at the fancy car he drives and the nice big house he lives in.

The reality is that he took redundancy, which paid for the car and his wife owns the house, which she inherited from her parents.

If the above was broadcast / communicated to a substantial portion of Bob's electorate, say by text message or via the web, it would be very difficult for him to counter that message in the space of a few hours. If could be enough to swing things by the required few hundred votes.

Hence the moratorium.
    oh i see it s to combat any dirty = = TRICKS
    during election
    great idea
    but if you discover after the election bob was a scumbag its too late ,and your saddled with him for five years
    i d rather hear the story and make my own mind up, i think we as a nation deserve that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Whats Vincent Browne going to do tonight?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

Victor wrote: »

--

Hence the moratorium.
    Yes but as far as I know the moratorium only covers TV and radio so it makes no difference as far as the internet e-mails texts etc are concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

dave1982 wrote: »

Interview Mario?:D

dave1982 wrote: »
    he s doing his hair

county man wrote: »
    Yes but as far as I know the moratorium only covers TV and radio so it makes no difference as far as the internet e-mails texts etc are concerned.
    DONT VOTE FOR BOB
    HE S A BANK FRAUDSTER

• Advertisement
Advertisement