Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvassing cut off time?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I was just wondering if the ban on advertising etc after 2pm today by all parties covered canvassing door to door too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

No.

It's not a ban on advertising, it's a moratorium on broadcast media dealing with anything that has a somewhat direct effect on the election.

I think the idea behind it was to give people some time to collect their thoughts and mull the matters over. And partly to stop guys chancing their arms at the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Times have moved on since this was introduced we now have youtube facebook and text message broadcasting which can be just as effective so i think this ban is a bit silly i dont know of any other countries that do this

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

canvassing door to door and leaflet drops could, in theory, last until 10pm on friday but, most likely will stop this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

cosanostra wrote: »
    Times have moved on since this was introduced we now have youtube facebook and text message broadcasting which can be just as effective so i think this ban is a bit silly i dont know of any other countries that do this

It happened in Britain last May during their General Election.

Advertisement