Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polling Cards

Options
  • 19-02-2011 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

As far as i know, im getting two polling cards to two different addresses. If i wanted could i vote twice?

Not that im going to;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It would be illegal and because you need ID to vote and because the votes are marked off on the list as you vote, you can be caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

I wouldnt anyway ones in cork and the other is in meath. Some one told me it will be good for planning permission in either area in years to come tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

I've just realised that if a lot of people have recieved more than one polling card then it skews the total electorate, which in turn has implications on how constituency boundaries are re-drawn and the number of seats in each one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Victor wrote: »
    It would be illegal and because you need ID to vote and because the votes are marked off on the list as you vote, you can be caught.

I've never needed ID, or even the polling card, to vote. Though I still bring both, just in case. They just ask my name and mark it on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I got two delivered earlier also.

Both to my address, where nobody else lives, or has lived.

One in my usual name... the other in the irish version of my name.
    I have ID that is acceptable as both.

What law would I be breaking, if any, were I to vote twice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

What law would I be breaking, if any, were I to vote twice?

From looking at some posts on another unnamed Posting Site that has a political element to it, it looks as if you would be breaking the law if you voted twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Voting twice is breaking the law - voter fraud.

No polling card has arrived yet to me. I am never asked for ID but I always vote and it is the same people who are there at the polling station and they know me.

Min wrote: »
    Voting twice is breaking the law - voter fraud.

No polling card has arrived yet to me. I am never asked for ID but I always vote and it is the same people who are there at the polling station and they know me.

So by the state providing me with 2 voting cards they are encouraging me to break the law, and are thus an accomplice?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

So by the state providing me with 2 voting cards they are encouraging me to break the law, and are thus an accomplice?

You only received two voting cards because you have registered twice. You know it is a mistake whereas they don't. It's down to you if you break the law and no one else.

Tarabuses wrote: »
    You only received two voting cards because you have registered twice. You know it is a mistake whereas they don't. It's down to you if you break the law and no one else.

I registered once. I completed the form indicating my change of address, and had it signed by my local garda.

How do I know it's a mistake, i see stories every day about people getting 2 polling cards. Maybe I'm entitled to it? After all I was disenfranchised in the past while working on the road by the FF sympathetic council official who kept removing me from the ballot because by normal residence was not my home address, even though i normally slept in 4 different B&Bs during the average week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

lang wrote: »
    I've just realised that if a lot of people have recieved more than one polling card then it skews the total electorate, which in turn has implications on how constituency boundaries are re-drawn and the number of seats in each one.

they re-draw boundaries based on population figures from census not the numbers registered to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pmeehan

I also received 2 polling cards. Both in the same name but 2 different addresses and 2 different polling stations. I have no intention of voting twice but can anyone advise as to which polling station I should go to, or does it matter? I'm concerned that my vote will be invalid if I choose the wrong polling station.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Ray Burkes Pension

pmeehan wrote: »
    I also received 2 polling cards. Both in the same name but 2 different addresses and 2 different polling stations. I have no intention of voting twice but can anyone advise as to which polling station I should go to, or does it matter? I'm concerned that my vote will be invalid if I choose the wrong polling station.

The one with the address you are living in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I have received no polling cards but am still on the register. Will be bringing my drivers licence as ID in case i'm asked. Yeh, its a great efficient system :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Several threads like this coming up on boards. The system is a real mess. Some people with several polling cards in several electoral constituencies, some with none.

The best solution I've seen is discussed on here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056187793

The idea is to link peoples vote to their PPS number. That way everyone gets just one polling card to their current address once they're eligible to vote (appropriate age and nationality/naturalised status, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Upstream wrote: »
    The idea is to link peoples vote to their PPS number. That way everyone gets just one polling card to their current address once they're eligible to vote (appropriate age and nationality/naturalised status, etc)

I understand that that has been considered but there is a conflict with data protection laws!!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Riskymove wrote: »
    I understand that that has been considered but there is a conflict with data protection laws!!

Thanks Riskymove, I wondered what obstacles there were to doing this.

Data protection seems to be a problem in lots of areas these days. Perhaps if the voting register was generated from the PPS database without moving the PPS number (just show name, address and date of birth) this would remove the data protection issue.

Judging by amount of complaints, something needs to be done.
    Here's yet another thread started here today http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056190611

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Riskymove wrote: »
    Change the law. :)

Advertisement