Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get freelance work?

• 23-03-2010 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

Working full time as a web designer, finding it hard to pay bills etc.
    Would love to get some extra work, i get its and bits now and then but sparingly.
    Should i set up a site? How would people see the site?
    I take it i cant use stuff i've done in work in my portfolio?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You'll rarely get work through just having an online portfolio.

The main way to get work is through word of mouth. e.g. Old colleagues, employers who need work and also these days through site slike freelanceireland.

Hard to say whether you can put work done online you did at your employer. Most employers are ok with it as long you put in a credit that you did it there, and are showing it on a personal site, rather than as a compnay. One approach is always to have a private portfolio that you can send someone a link to, but that isn't publically accessible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Try elance.com, but you'll be bidding against people who charge very little (about $10 per hour) for their services. You'll also find it difficult to get started there as you'll have no previous projects/feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

You definitely need to get a portfolio website set up. The first thing I'd ask a designer for would be sample work.

If you want to bid against others for design projects there is also Get A Freelancer (www.freelancer.com). The problem is that you'll need to bid very low to compete with designers in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I wouldn't advise going to any of the freelance 'bidding' sites, unless you're just looking to build up a portfolio and not get paid at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I think you should definately set up a personal website.

On this you can host your portfolio and possibly a blog. The blog will let you show off smaller items that may not justify a slot in the portfolio. A regularly updated blog with lots of posts on various different tips/techniques etc. will be very attractive to perspective clients.

It'll be your online base where you point people to.. they'll browse your site and if they like what they see they might hire you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement