Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Clareman wrote: »
    If you want to have criticism of the county board you could ask where the money they got from the sale to Aldi went, how much was wasted on the idea out by the by-pass, how much was really spent on Clare Abbey, what's really being spent out in Tulla, when is Cusack Park going to be finished, why is the county championship a complete farce, why is there such a massive gap between budgets between footballer and hurling, what are the details of the county management's agreements with the county board.

But no, no point in getting to the bottom of any of that, might as well just concentrate on the bold people on the internet talking about stuff.

it would be no harm of them to point out where we on the internet are going wrong , i see no sign of player abuse on here , also i see no difference to any other message boards from any other county in fact i always imagined us as a far easier bunch of supporters to keep happy then a lot of other counties ???

not sure about the devoid in budgets maybe there is at inter county level but the opposite could be argued at club level , nearly all of the west clare clubs have a stand floodlights and fairly descent facilities i cant think of any other club bar the bridge that could match any of the football clubs so there must have been a load of cash sent back west maybe for votes and that who knows

round up of the weekends 1/4 finals , cratloe were dumped out of the championship this evening after a 5 point loss to clondegad , the ballinacally side are now looking like favorites to capture there first jack daly tony kelly showed he is almost as good a footballer with a top performance , and with the likes of the brennans and podge mcmahon up front they look a formidable force now

yesterday cooraclare narrowly saw off o'curry's and miltown eventually got the better of ennistimon , today shock and probably the shock of the round was when st breackens knocked out kilrush while corofin qualified for the intermediate final after a 6 point win over kilfarnora

SFC 1/4 Finals

Cooraclare 1-11 1-10 o'curry's
    Miltown , 1-13 0-13 ennistymon
    St Breackens 2-09 1-07 kilrush
    clondegad , 1-12 - 0-10 Cratloe

IFC Semi finals

Kilmihil 3-09 0-04 clarecastle
    Corofin 2-09 0-09 Kilfarnora

Relegation final

Wolfe tone's 5-02 0-06 Shannon gaels

the last result speaks volumes of some of the teams that are senior and those at the 2nd tier , a massive restructure is needed a number of teams are at the top level at the moment and are out of there depth its time go go back to 12 teams for the senior football championship

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

it would be no harm of them to point out where we on the internet are going wrong , i see no sign of player abuse on here , also i see no difference to any other message boards from any other county in fact i always imagined us as a far easier bunch of supporters to keep happy then a lot of other counties ???

not sure about the devoid in budgets maybe there is at inter county level but the opposite could be argued at club level , nearly all of the west clare clubs have a stand floodlights and fairly descent facilities i cant think of any other club bar the bridge that could match any of the football clubs so there must have been a load of cash sent back west maybe for votes and that who knows

I haven't seen any evidence of player abuse either but some of the stuff being said about the Fitz's and Malty has probably crossed a line on another forum however I think it's stupid that the county board even made reference to it and in doing so they are only giving it more publicity and no focusing on the real problems with our senior hurlers at the moment. I see Joe O Connor has been announced as S+C coach for Limerick as well with a coach to be announced. What's the odds its Kinnerk? I think we made a monumental f*ck up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

I haven't seen any evidence of player abuse either but some of the stuff being said about the Fitz's and Malty has probably crossed a line on another forum however I think it's stupid that the county board even made reference to it and in doing so they are only giving it more publicity and no focusing on the real problems with our senior hurlers at the moment. I see Joe O Connor has been announced as S+C coach for Limerick as well with a coach to be announced. What's the odds its Kinnerk? I think we made a monumental f*ck up there.

Word in limerick is Jerry wallis is coming back. Not sure how true that is. Was mentioned kinnerk was going with limerick senior footballers but nothing confirmed. Co board meeting in limerick to ratify hurling management tomorrow night so kinnerks position might be clearer then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There's a few boards out there that are pretty much unmoderated which means some internet warriors think they can say whatever they want, and they do, lots of rumours about players and managers, boards.ie in my opinion is a great place to discuss GAA matters cause internet warriors can't take over (the moderators do a great job)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Figerty

There's a few boards out there that are pretty much unmoderated which means some internet warriors think they can say whatever they want, and they do, lots of rumours about players and managers, boards.ie in my opinion is a great place to discuss GAA matters cause internet warriors can't take over (the moderators do a great job)

Any views to the contrary of the county board are seen as undermining them...

Paranoia strikes deep in the heartland..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Figerty wrote: »
    Any views to the contrary of the county board are seen as undermining them...

Paranoia strikes deep in the heartland..

The county board has been a closed shop for a very long time, they used to be able to operate complete under their own rules without any kind of outside influence, then central council and a few more got involved, the famous 2 sets of accounts are still fully operational. Don't even get me started on the cartel that's in place for tickets for matches, going back to 92 it was 1 big circle to get tickets, you'll always know the clubs that are out of favour by the cr@p tickets they'll get.

Also, it's not paranoia if it's true :D:pac::D

The county board has been a closed shop for a very long time, they used to be able to operate complete under their own rules without any kind of outside influence, then central council and a few more got involved, the famous 2 sets of accounts are still fully operational. Don't even get me started on the cartel that's in place for tickets for matches, going back to 92 it was 1 big circle to get tickets, you'll always know the clubs that are out of favour by the cr@p tickets they'll get.

Also, it's not paranoia if it's true :D:pac::D

Just cos you aren't paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Sure don't the accounts get auditied....there couldn't be two sets of accounts.

Just cos you aren't paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Sure don't the accounts get auditied....there couldn't be two sets of accounts.

There's the set of accounts for everything that's declared, that'd be for everything non cash related then there's the cash stuff, don't think every penny that goes through a turn stiles gets accounted for, don't even get me started on draws and lottos.

There's the set of accounts for everything that's declared, that'd be for everything non cash related then there's the cash stuff, don't think every penny that goes through a turn stiles gets accounted for, don't even get me started on draws and lottos.

I'd have my doubts that everything that get's collected at the stiles goes to the board!

• Advertisement

I'd have my doubts that everything that get's collected at the stiles goes to the board!

How do you think the people on the stiles get appointed?? There's a great little cartel going around to man the gates

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Just who is the brains behind setting the club fixtures in Clare.

Smart lads have put the senior b hurling final on at 2.30 on Saturday. The same time as Ireland play Canada is the first game of the rwc.

and why not have a double header with the senior a semi finals??

Smart lads have put the senior b hurling final on at 2.30 on Saturday. The same time as Ireland play Canada is the first game of the rwc.

See your problem there?? You think they have brains. You also assume that they think of any other sport or a way of promoting the game

In fairness,, they are playing Canada.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

In fairness,, they are playing Canada.......

Yes but it is the opening game of the World Cup, a number of what you would call ''walk up crowd'' will choose to watch it over going to a hurling match regardless of the opposition.

The problem here and I have seen it first hand myself is that the dinosaurs within boards and fixture committees, take the attitude of ''fcuk the rugby/soccer we're not changing our fixtures because of them'' when the reality is they are having an adverse affect on their own games by taking this stance.

I had a very heated discussion on this before with a county board delegate and I actually went as far as telling him he was neglecting his duties by taking this stance as the primary role of any official in the GAA is to promote and develop the games.

In defence of the fixture committee there are only so many weekends left available and the competitions should be played off as soon as possible, I agree though that the timing could be better, even a noon start would be better, but for that to happen both teams, the ref and the county board would need to agree.

Level at half time between Kilmaley (0-10) and Clonlara (2-4), earlier today InaMona beat the Townies in the Senior B final

20 minutes into the second half and Clonlara look to be pulling away, 3-10 to 0-15

Draw for a finish, great game by all accounts 3-11 to 0-20

Draw for a finish, great game by all accounts 3-11 to 0-20

yeah fantastic second half , had everything , it as to be said though 11 wides in the first half and probably 70% of the ball klmaley wlll be far from happy with tonights out come they were caught out probably a bit too easy for the first half goals although cormac o'donavans goal (the 2nd one) was excellent

cormac was probably clons best performer over the 60 with cian moloney kilmaleys best and in fairness has been a revelation through out the championship , aidan mcguane and mikey o'malley were not too far behind either

clonlaras tactics amazed me though , john conlon at half back marking moloney was playing second fiddle to his man and caught out for what would have been the wining goal before ger o connell pulled off probbably the save of the season with a few minuets left

colm galvin playing as an inside forward for the full 60 minuets? fair enough he got a fairly important goal halfway through the second half but he was wasted playing so far in and away from the play for most of the game

his brother ian also should have started and made a huge impact after coming on at half time , clonlara were struggling for ball winners late on in the game and at no point was there a switch made to swap john conlon with nicky 'o connell or donal o donovan , i know sean stack has his favorites down in limerick but i have serious doubts as to what he was trying to do today

donal odonovan proved mr reliable once again with a late injury time equalizer but it has to be stressed the absence of connor cleary was huge for kilmaley and you would have to wonder if clonlara would have got so much joy running down the middle as they did , most of there key scores came from that type f sequence of play , alan markham is no spring chicken at this stage and it was a tough ask on him to cover such ground

kilmaley wont fear clon the next day either had it not been for a bad day in front of goal espically in the first half we could have been talking of a major shock ,i would give them a big shout the next day though

• Advertisement

yeah fantastic second half , had everything , it as to be said though 11 wides in the first half and probably 70% of the ball klmaley wlll be far from happy with tonights out come they were caught out probably a bit too easy for the first half goals although cormac o'donavans goal (the 2nd one) was excellent

cormac was probably clons best performer over the 60 with cian moloney kilmaleys best and in fairness has been a revelation through out the championship , aidan mcguane and mikey o'malley were not too far behind either

clonlaras tactics amazed me though , john conlon at half back marking moloney was playing second fiddle to his man and caught out for what would have been the wining goal before ger o connell pulled off probbably the save of the season with a few minuets left

colm galvin playing as an inside forward for the full 60 minuets? fair enough he got a fairly important goal halfway through the second half but he was wasted playing so far in and away from the play for most of the game

his brother ian also should have started and made a huge impact after coming on at half time , clonlara were struggling for ball winners late on in the game and at no point was there a switch made to swap john conlon with nicky 'o connell or donal o donovan , i know sean stack has his favorites down in limerick but i have serious doubts as to what he was trying to do today

donal odonovan proved mr reliable once again with a late injury time equalizer but it has to be stressed the absence of connor cleary was huge for kilmaley and you would have to wonder if clonlara would have got so much joy running down the middle as they did , most of there key scores came from that type f sequence of play , alan markham is no spring chicken at this stage and it was a tough ask on him to cover such ground

kilmaley wont fear clon the next day either had it not been for a bad day in front of goal espically in the first half we could have been talking of a major shock ,i would give them a big shout the next day though

Donovan (no 11 i think) could have got the line for the tackle on Eoin Enright. The Clonlara player that got hit by Enright came off worst as result! He never saw it coming.

You have to think that Clonlara have more in the tank for the next day.

http://clare.fm/sport/last-minute-odonovan-point-earns-clonlara-replay

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

It's Senior B, a bit of a non championship. The Intermediate semi final today was a double header and would have/was a much more hard fought enjoyable game than Senior B. I don't see your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

The Bridge 3.21 Crusheen 3.13

Quite a high score for the conditions. The Bridge were 2.12 to 4 points at 30mins and looked set, but Crusheen got 1-1 just before the break and had the lead down 2 at one stage in the second half. Golden got a second goal to get his side back on track.
    The Bridge will be dissapointed to ship such a big score in the 2nd half in the pouring rain against a Crusheen side that would be noted for their forward line. Clon and Kilmaley would fancy hitting a good score against them with better forwards, particularly Clon. That said contray, hitting 3.21 against Crusheen i was quite good, Mulready was missing but Shanahan was back. The bridge will feel they have a good chance in the final, the side is in solid form all year.

Just on the other semi, I think its crazy how Stack is continuing to bench Ian Galvin. He again came off the bench to get important scores. Ian was def our best player for Clare at u21 this year, I think he got 10pts in the 2 games. He is one of our best propects. I remember there was rumour of Colm not happy with the club situation before he left for Boston. Its hard to know whats up with Stack but its quite clear his team are underperforming. Ok they are 2 steps away but they have avoided some of the big guns.

Delighted for Kilmaley doing well. Ive seen some of their successful teams and its good to some them breaking through onto senior. Theres no reason why they cant to continue to be thereabouts over the next few seasons.

letowski wrote: »
    The Bridge 3.21 Crusheen 3.13

Quite a high score for the conditions. The Bridge were 2.12 to 4 points at 30mins and looked set, but Crusheen got 1-1 just before the break and had the lead down 2 at one stage in the second half. Golden got a second goal to get his side back on track.
    The Bridge will be dissapointed to ship such a big score in the 2nd half in the pouring rain against a Crusheen side that would be noted for their forward line. Clon and Kilmaley would fancy hitting a good score against them with better forwards, particularly Clon. That said contray, hitting 3.21 against Crusheen i was quite good, Mulready was missing but Shanahan was back. The bridge will feel they have a good chance in the final, the side is in solid form all year.

Just on the other semi, I think its crazy how Stack is continuing to bench Ian Galvin. He again came off the bench to get important scores. Ian was def our best player for Clare at u21 this year, I think he got 10pts in the 2 games. He is one of our best propects. I remember there was rumour of Colm not happy with the club situation before he left for Boston. Its hard to know whats up with Stack but its quite clear his team are underperforming. Ok they are 2 steps away but they have avoided some of the big guns.

Delighted for Kilmaley doing well. Ive seen some of their successful teams and its good to some them breaking through onto senior. Theres no reason why they cant to continue to be thereabouts over the next few seasons.

i wouldnt worry too much about a bridge melt down fair enough they got a scare it can be very hard to kick on when you are so far ahead the important thing is they did kick on when it mattered and did'nt panic , history and tradition is a serious animal to have on your side going into a county final and today will be quickly wiped from there memory

in regards to clonlara , whether there is or is not any going on's behind the scenes there is no doubting the fact that sean stack got it badly wrong yesterday , if he dose'nt start using players in there best positions they will not beat kilmaley the next day several guys were playing so far out of position that they were almost compleatly ineffective , remember kilmaley hit 11 wides in the first half yesterday had they converted half of them they would have been out of sight by half time

one thing about kilmaley is there consistant they will start strong they will have a low part in the game mainly early in the second half but when asked they will fight on there backs with 3 minuets to go they were 4 points down , in injury time they were a point up i think they hold all the ace's at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

in regards to clonlara , whether there is or is not any going on's behind the scenes there is no doubting the fact that sean stack got it badly wrong yesterday , if he dose'nt start using players in there best positions they will not beat kilmaley the next day several guys were playing so far out of position that they were almost compleatly ineffective , remember kilmaley hit 11 wides in the first half yesterday had they converted half of them they would have been out of sight by half time

Id agree with that. I wasnt at the game, but i saw from the programme, it was like colm galvin in the corner, nicky full forward, donnie center forward. I know they have played conlon at 6 all year. It just doesnt look right at all.

letowski wrote: »
    Id agree with that. I wasnt at the game, but i saw from the programme, it was like colm galvin in the corner, nicky full forward, donnie center forward. I know they have played conlon at 6 all year. It just doesnt look right at all.

donnie and nicky were midfield while colm was corner for the full game and never changed totts was wing forward while duck was center , duck was the only affective forward colm and totts should have been switched they put john back on cian moloney and he was at his peril for the day michael o'loughlan was probably there hardest worker in the forward line after cormac, who (cormac) interestingly enough i had down as a half back

the other day the irish examiner published the provisional league fixtures for 2016 , as it stands i only have the football fixtures and not the hurling , if someone has the hurling ones or a link to the fixtures please put them up, the offical fixtures will be released before friday as far as i know

the footballers task of staying up in division 3 next year will probably mean wining one of four away games , miltown will most probably be the venue for the home games while the park is under construction the league starts on the 31st of january

(H) SLIGO
    (A) Tipperary
    (A) Limerick
    (H) Westmeath
    (A) Offaly
    (H) Longford
    (A) Kildare

we under performed against longford big time in the championship earlier this year , we have a good reccord against offaly and sligo in reacent years while i expect it to be nip and tuck at home to westmeath ( who were excellent in the leinster championship this year ) and away to limerick , genuinely regard tipperary as a far superior team and should be a division ahead of all 8 teams in this division while i hope we wont be traveling up to newbridge either relagated or needing a win to stay in the division

there are some deacent players to be tried out from the underage set ups of the last few years , and lad like peirce lillis, maccon byrne damien bourke, eoin donnellon along with a number of this years minor team that lost to both of today's all ireland finalists mainly loseing to tipp in thurlas in the last kick of the game was particularly heart breaking

Found the hurlers fixtures for next year's league it starts with offaly at home with a trip to wexford half way through and ends up with limerick at home in the final round

Offaly H
    Wexford A
    Laois A
    Kerry H
    Limerick H

Wining away in wexford Park and limerick in the last game should guarantee promotion while easier said than done it would have to be seen as the requirement

confirmation on fixtures for next weekend ,

SHC semi final replay

cusack park sunday 1pm

Clonlara v kilmaley

SFC SEMI FINALS

Cusack Park Saturday

Miltown v St Breackens 5;15

Sunday @ kilmihil

Clondegad v Cooraclare 2: 30

Senior B Final saturday @ doonbeg

kilmurry ibrickane v Kilkee 3:00

IFC Final Sunday @ Miltown

Corofin v Kilmihil 5:15

the intermiediate hurling semi final replay between smith o'briens and wolfe tones is set for this weekend also but no time , date or venue has been agreed on as of yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

confirmation on fixtures for next weekend ,

SHC semi final replay

cusack park sunday 1pm

Clonlara v kilmaley

SFC SEMI FINALS

Cusack Park Saturday

Miltown v St Breackens 5;15

Sunday @ kilmihil

Clondegad v Cooraclare 2: 30

Senior B Final saturday @ doonbeg

kilmurry ibrickane v Kilkee 3:00

IFC Final Sunday @ Miltown

Corofin v Kilmihil 5:15

the intermiediate hurling semi final replay between smith o'briens and wolfe tones is set for this weekend also but no time , date or venue has been agreed on as of yet

Is there talk of the intermediate football being moved to the Saturday evening or is that just a rumour?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement