Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does light have mass?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Steez wrote:
    Excuse me if i'm wrong here, but by schlemm's theory, it seems that if you left a light bulb on long enough it'd disappear.
    No in other words. I don't think. If that was true though it'd be funky, never have to change a lightbulb again. Just have to replace it. No more burnt fingertips!
    If that were true, what would happen to the sun?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

The smart question is does mass have light?

Oh sorry i did i say smart question, i meant nonsensical question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Schlemm wrote:
    If that were true, what would happen to the sun?!

:eek:

Anto McC wrote:

It does if you burn something I suppose? If leaving cert chemistry taught me anything, if you put something in a flame and burn it and look through this special lens thingy, it gives out light....and you can identify certain substances by burning them and seeing what light they give off...yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Steez

Schlemm wrote:
    if you put something in a flame and burn it and look through this special lens thingy, it gives out light....

Really?:p

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Anto McC wrote:

all matter above absolute zero radiates photons.

if you mean visible light then the mass would have to be above a temperature of 430 degrees C

Also black holes and protons decay into radiation too over very long amounts of time. Free neutons have a half life of a few minutes so they would disappear once the protons decay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Steez wrote:
    Excuse me if i'm wrong here, but by schlemm's theory, it seems that if you left a light bulb on long enough it'd disappear.
    No in other words. I don't think. If that was true though it'd be funky, never have to change a lightbulb again. Just have to replace it. No more burnt fingertips!
    The light from a bulb comes from the electricty absorbed not from the bulb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Would I be correct to say that light bulbs are horribly inefficient devices because most energy is lost as heat?
    Big ass L.E.D's ftw!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

all matter above absolute zero radiates photons.

if you mean visible light then the mass would have to be above a temperature of 430 degrees C

Also black holes and protons decay into radiation too over very long amounts of time. Free neutons have a half life of a few minutes so they would disappear once the protons decay.
    Have they observed protons decaying yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Nuh uh. Can't explain, late!
    :eek: It's the entire basis behind DeBroglie's theorem that won him a Nobel prize, no offence but who are we to believe, a forum poster of unknown credentials or someone who the physics community felt came up with something so significant that they gave him the most prestigious prize there is in the field?
    All waves can be treated as particles with an associated momentum (and therefore a mass) and all particles can be treated as waves with an associated wavelength.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

farohar wrote:
    :eek: It's the entire basis behind DeBroglie's theorem that won him a Nobel prize, no offence but who are we to believe, a forum poster of unknown credentials or someone who the physics community felt came up with something so significant that they gave him the most prestigious prize there is in the field?

The one that can ban us from this forum :D

Ishmael wrote:
    The one that can ban us from this forum :D
    Well in my entire time on these forums I have only once seen a moderator (and it wasn't Tar) behave slightly immaturely so I doubt Tar would stoop to such.
    Am curious to hear his/her argument against DeBroglie's work though at least find out where the "nuh uh" stance is coming from.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

farohar wrote:
    All waves can be treated as particles with an associated momentum (and therefore a mass) and all particles can be treated as waves with an associated wavelength.
    'Sometimes people like to say that the photon does have mass because a photon has energy E = hf where h is Planck's constant and f is the frequency of the photon. Energy, they say, is equivalent to mass according to Einstein's famous formula E = mc2. They also say that a photon has momentum, and momentum p is related to mass m by p = mv. What they are talking about is "relativistic mass", an old concept that can cause confusion. Relativistic mass is a measure of the energy E of a particle, which changes with velocity. By convention, relativistic mass is not usually called the mass of a particle in contemporary physics so, at least semantically, it is wrong to say the photon has mass in this way. But you can say that the photon has relativistic mass if you really want to. In modern terminology the mass of an object is its invariant mass, which is zero for a photon.
    Sometimes people say "mass" when they mean "relativistic mass", mr but at other times they say "mass" when they mean "invariant mass", m0. These two meanings are not the same. The invariant mass of a particle is independent of its speed v, whereas relativistic mass increases with speed and tends to infinity as the speed approaches that of light, c. They can be defined as follows:
    mr = E/c2
    m0 = sqrt(E2/c4 - p2/c2)

where E is energy, p is momentum and c is the speed of light in a vacuum. The speed-dependent relation between the two is
    mr = m0 /sqrt(1 - v2/c2)

Of the two, the definition of invariant mass is much preferred over the definition of relativistic mass. These days, when physicists talk about mass in their research, they always mean invariant mass. The symbol m for invariant mass is used without the subscript 0. Although the idea of relativistic mass is not wrong, it often leads to confusion, and is less useful in advanced applications such as quantum field theory and general relativity. Using the word "mass" unqualified to mean relativistic mass is wrong because the word on its own will usually be taken to mean invariant mass. For example, when physicists quote a value for "the mass of the electron" they mean its invariant mass.
    At zero speed, the relativistic mass is equal to the invariant mass.'

Who are you going to believe, some French Physicist or a moderator on boards.ie? ;-)
    Also, they were joking with you about me banning you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

At zero speed, the relativistic mass is equal to the invariant mass.'

ok it all makes sense to me except for this bit... if it is possible to slow light down, and to eventually stop it, then you are saying it would have an ACTUAL mass (invariant mass), but when its moving it does not?

how is this possible that is somehow manages to gain a mass greater than 0 by merely stopping?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The rest mass of a photon is zero(although a photon can never be at rest).
    It doesn't get a mass greater than 0 by 'stopping'.
    Light is always invariantly massless. At zero speed both the relativistic mass and invariant mass are zero.
    So, light is not gaining mass by stopping, it has zero mass at zero speed. It can however gain a relativistic mass when it is moving.

off to the cinema, any more questions will be answered on the morrow.

Well thought out Tar (and I know they were joking, as I said I've only ever once seen a Boards.ie mod behave that childishly), but since relativity tells us that mass increases by a factor related to your current speed relative to the speed of light even if this results in the mass we see for photons they must have an initial, at zero momentum, mass in order for this multiplied mass to be a non-zero value.
    Also since mass is a measure of the difficulty in changing a thing's velocity, if photons had no mass then this would either mean that:
    any force regardless of how small could change the velocity of a photon, rendering the "constant" (since light can be pulled into a black hole it is a reasonable assumption that light heading towards it can in fact travel faster than C) C non-existant
    or that nothing could infact effect the velocity of a photon, which would mean that light would travel at the same speed in all materials regardless and more to the point could never stop or be absorbed by electrons and molecules.
    Anyway, have to get back to work, will be back later, nice to have a genuinely thought inspiring thread in AH. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Good Lord there's some bad science in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Naikon wrote:
    Would I be correct to say that light bulbs are horribly inefficient devices because most energy is lost as heat?
    Big ass L.E.D's ftw!!!:)
    They're about 5% efficient, so yea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Sure if they find the Higgs Boson then mass won't even have mass as we know it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kevmy wrote:
    I think I found that in my box of coco pops when I was younger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

how do photon torpedoes work ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MooseJam wrote:
    They just fire torchs and lightbulbs and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

kevmy wrote:
    Yeah, but then they planet will be blown up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

zuutroy wrote:
    Good Lord there's some bad science in this thread.

this is AH afterall...

I've always wondered about photon torpedos... how to they get them into the firing chamber if the photons dont have any mass? Or do they just shine a light in there for a few minutes then close the hatch and shoot the photons out in the shape of a torpedo? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

L31mr0d wrote:
    this is AH afterall...

I've always wondered about photon torpedos... how to they get them into the firing chamber if the photons dont have any mass? Or do they just shine a light in there for a few minutes then close the hatch and shoot the photons out in the shape of a torpedo? :confused:

*cough* Televisions not real *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

L31mr0d wrote:
    this is AH afterall...

tut! tut! you need to watch more star trek.

And the answer is obviously no. And it is explained very well here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html

Your man with the 130 points on the LC may want to stay away from this one, as his head might just implode.

Anti wrote:
    tut! tut! you need to watch more star trek.

And the answer is obviously no. And it is explained very well here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/light_mass.html

Your man with the 130 points on the LC may want to stay away from this one, as his head might just implode.

That link doesn't explain anything about photon torpedoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Newtonian mechanics
    :):) Boardsies :confused::confused:
    Quantum Mechanics

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote:
    AFAIK the name is misleading they contain an antimatter charge (damned if I know how they are supposed to contain that) and some matter and release a large burst of energy by combining the two.

Does light have mass, let me put it this way: as long as light travels at or near the speed of light it has mass, ergo it always has mass.

Advertisement