Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Call Taker/Dispatcher Recruitment 2014

Options
  • 17-04-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

For those of you interested in a career as a Emergency Call taker or Dispatcher with the National Ambulance Service, the 2014 recruitment campaign for those qualified in these roles will become live at 5pm today.

Here's the link to HSE recruitment, please note that reference NRS1125 and NRS1126 posts will not be advertised until after 5pm but will be in this link.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/jobs

The closing date will be 12 noon Wednesday 30th April 2014.

The best of luck to those who apply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

"Qualified" Positions, are there courses out there for these positions or what? It'll be interesting to see what they define as Qualified!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Einstein

"Qualified" Positions, are there courses out there for these positions or what? It'll be interesting to see what they define as Qualified!
    The requirement is the AMPDS qualification, which you can pretty much only receive while working in an Ambulance Control environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

There are a number of operational paramedics who at some time gained the AMPDS qualification and licence whilst on a secondment to the control centre. Likewise there are a number of CPL agency staff who are still currently assigned to the control and a number no longer assigned.

Those groups I have listed are now eligible to apply for permanent whole time equivalents. Likewise any Irish person who has returned home or foreign nationals who have settled here or wish to settle here and are suitably qualified and licensed will also be eligible to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭NonBeliever14

Bang Bang is correct, there is also those whom work in Belfast and possibly recently recruited DFB control staff whom might have some relevant quals and experience. Suspect this is a "mopping up" exercise to get staff quickly. Numbers will be small.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭GoProGaming

Any ideas how this would effect myself and the others on the current panel for emergency medical dispatcher(un trained waiting to be hired and trained?)

• Advertisement

Just a spin for the media then, no ?

Surely they could have recruited 'internally', im sure those agency staff would be delighted to become F/T permanent!

The NAS National Service Plan states their going to recruit an additional 43 new staff for the new National Emergency Operations Centre (across 2 sites)

They will not get 43 qualified staff so I would expect they will be back to the untrained panels in the second half of the year if not before. There is limited training capacity until Tallaght is commissioned and no real point training new staff until the new National Computer Aided Dispatch System is procured and integrated with a fully rolled out TETRA/TERRAFIX solution

you cannot recruit agency staff internally...............they are not internal employees...........

Hence the reason why I put the ' ' around internal. :P

Don't see why they can't be offered positions, they met the requirements in the 1st place, have the training and experience of how things run in CC.

That would make sense to me, but sure as you're saying to yourself, what would he know! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

Any ideas how this would effect myself and the others on the current panel for emergency medical dispatcher(un trained waiting to be hired and trained?)

If positions need to be filled quickly then there is nothing stopping the HSE from filling positions with fully trained staff prior to any training positions being offered to those on current trainee panels.

A similar issue/concern arouse in 2009 when there was a panel of student paramedics in existence. A number of qualified PHECC paramedics were employed following a short recruitment for trained staff. They were then placed senior to those who were then drawn from the panel later on.

• Advertisement

Public Sector jobs are subject to the Public Management (Appointments) Act 2004. You can't give someone a job they have not previously competed for, even if they were agency. If the HSE gave them jobs (would make sense in the private sector), there would be accusations of not allowing the public at large to apply.

This is Ireland and this is the HSE and there always wrong, even when their right and follow the rules!

Didn't mean essentially hand them a job, i meant more along the lines of giving them a chance of being in an internal recruitment campaign.

Anyway, better get back on topic, I'm clear on the whole situation now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

Just spoke to manorhamilton there. I'm even more confused! It seems that this new competition succeeds the last one in that even if you are currently working as a call taker and have you're ampds license you still need to apply for this competition if you actually want a dispatch job. So it appears the other panel is on hold until they fill positions from this new panel.
    A figure of 43 new staff was mentioned in a post earlier. Is that including the 20odd who came in so far via the call taker panel from 2012? Aww I'm going for a lie down my brain hurts!

These are extra positions. They need in the region of 95 staff for the EOC when fully commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭stevie06

These are extra positions. They need in the region of 95 staff for the EOC when fully commissioned.

When will the EOC be commissioned? It seems that it's been happening for years with little progress! :/

They're still hoping for around October. Work is well under way.

This is a 26m euro 5 year project. That timeframe is ambitious to say the least. LAS took 5 years just to change their CAD in the same builiding. To say there is little progress demonstrates a lack of understanding of the Estate, ICT, Financial Regulatory, IR and Business Continuity issues involved. Project started in 2010 and will not be fully commissioned until 2015. Even then, there will be other peripheral projects that cannot be contemplated until the mainframe is up and running. For example, MDT/SatNav.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cosmic12

I can't find the job advert on the hse website - does anyone if it has been advertised on the net yet, and if so, what is the link?

cosmic12 wrote: »
    I can't find the job advert on the hse website - does anyone if it has been advertised on the net yet, and if so, what is the link?
    publicjobs .ie and search for emergency services, btw do you have the ampds qualification? or work in a control room?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cosmic12

Thanks for that I'll check it out. I worked in a control room quite a few years ago, ampds cert out of date I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Paddymedic

Any word on NAS recruiting frontline staff? Do they hire qualified staff? or do all their own training?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Truthie

They are now offering agency staff dispatch jobs ahead of those on the experienced panel. Some are on the panel some tried but did not make panel but are being offered jobs anyway.

Truthie wrote: »
    They are now offering agency staff dispatch jobs ahead of those on the experienced panel. Some are on the panel some tried but did not make panel but are being offered jobs anyway.
    Like I mentioned in another thread, this is absolutely not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Truthie

Einstein it is the case. It is going to be rushed through. Agency staff are going to be offered hse contracts regardless of whether they are on a panel.

Truthie wrote: »
    Einstein it is the case. It is going to be rushed through. Agency staff are going to be offered hse contracts regardless of whether they are on a panel.
    Truthie Im not too sure why you think that, or who's drip feeding you information, but I work in the control room.
    CPL staff (along with certain HSE Staff) went through a recent recruitment drive & Interview which formed a panel for HSE Cal Takers and Dispatchers. If they received a position on that panel, they will receive a HSE contract in order of merit, when the need for the position arises.

Einstein wrote: »
    Truthie Im not too sure why you think that, or who's drip feeding you information, but I work in the control room.
    CPL staff (along with certain HSE Staff) went through a recent recruitment drive & Interview which formed a panel for HSE Cal Takers and Dispatchers. If they received a position on that panel, they will receive a HSE contract in order of merit, when the need for the position arises.

Any idea how many were placed on the already qualified panel?

Close to 30 i think.

Advertisement