Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School Trip to Krakow-budget help?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

Last October, myself and a fellow history teacher brought 7 fifth year and 8 sixth year girls to Poland as part of the Leaving Cert. history course. The total cost per head had originally totaled app. €700 but after a lot of apprehension from parents, we got it down to €595 per girl. For that price, we got return flights between Dublin and Krakow with Ryanair (who were surprisingly friendly and accommodating regarding baggage), 4 nights in the Hotel Wilga (which was quite splendid in comparison to what you'd get for the same price here), a walking guided tour of Krakow, a cycling guided tour of Krakow, tours of Auschwitz, Birkenau, the Salt Mines, Schindler's factory as well as buses to and from the hotel and dinner on two of the nights. In order to cut down the price a bit, the girls only brought carry-on luggage with them (which was a surprising success) and we travelled from Waterford to Dublin Airport on the RapidExpress bus. Once in Krakow, I bought tickets for the tram for the girls each day and they spent their free time in Krakow city centre, shopping and buying their own lunch. It was a fantastic time and the girls loved it, we saw all the landmarks as well as all the fun little things and so I was hoping to do it again this year.

Parents are not as accommodating this year, and even €595 is not low enough for them. I understand that it is a lot of money and have therefore been trying to drop the price further. Has anybody been to Krakow/lived in Krakow and do you have any money saving tips? I thought I had done as much as I could to lower the price, but nobody is willing to pay.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

It's a lot of money alright op. Also the parents probably end up spending €1000 once they factor in pocket money. Could you drop the number of nights spent there - 2 full days to see the sights would be plenty surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HistoryBuff14

Meathlass wrote: »
    It's a lot of money alright op. Also the parents probably end up spending €1000 once they factor in pocket money. Could you drop the number of nights spent there - 2 full days to see the sights would be plenty surely.

Hi, yeah I had been looking at possibly shortening the stay. The only problem with that is that the girls last year were so tired on the first day that we didn't really do much but bowling. We were already doing so much everyday that I'm afraid of having to cut something out if I shorten the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Hi, yeah I had been looking at possibly shortening the stay. The only problem with that is that the girls last year were so tired on the first day that we didn't really do much but bowling. We were already doing so much everyday that I'm afraid of having to cut something out if I shorten the trip.

I'd cut out the salt mines anyway - thought they were rubbish :D

Depends on what time your flight gets in at. Lets say you have the afternoon/evening of the first day you can have a look around the castle or maybe do a guided tour (could you and the other teacher do the guiding yourselves to save on money?). Next day bus to Aus and Birk and dinner. Third day - Jewish quarter and either home that night or next morning.

You could identify what's the most expensive part of the trip and try and trim that. TBH these are all teenagers so they should have the energy so I'd pack in the days. Have you been given any indication of a price point parents would be willing to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

That price looks crazy. I've some experience of booking trips for rugby tours and Krakow is one of the destinations I've done. Group bookings can be a bit of a pain, but if you put in the legwork early enough and do your research, you can literally save hundreds.

If you want to PM me details of possible dates and likely numbers, I'll see if I can't come up with something cheaper for you. That is one destination that everyone should see. Even for the blokiest of blokes, Auschwitz leaves a big impression.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I used to book my school groups directly with businesses in Poland and it was never more than €250-300 per head (last trip two years ago). I was horrified at the prices quoted by Educational Tour businesses.

The Aer Lingus flights arriving/leaving at lunchtime were helpful in that they saved us a night's accommodation.

We did
    Tuesday
    Assemble Dublin airport 6.45
    Pick up by pre-arranged bus from Krakow airport, left in to central hostel
    Brama Hostel on Florianska
    Afternoon - showing them where the main square and Galeria Krakowska shopping centres were.
    Evening - Park Wodny waterpark
    Wednesday
    Morning - Auschwitz Birkenau (again picked up by our driver - we got there before the crowds)
    Lunch near Wieliczka
    Wieliczka mines
    Evening - Pizza followed by bowling
    Thursday morning
    Short chance for souvenirs in the square
    Transfer to airport by our driver again.
    Home with Aer Lingus flight at lunchtime, arriving back to the school just before the other kids went home for the day, which was always a highlight.

For bigger groups I could arrange for one teacher to take a group to see the Leonardo painting while others shopped, it depended.
    I would certainly add in the Oskar Schindler factory if doing it now. Well worth seeing. Our emphasis was very much the Holocaust so Wawel and other things didn't really feature.

I found the use of our own drivers really useful and well worth any extra expense over public transport (and all its pitfalls when dealing with groups of children). I do also speak a bit of Polish which may have helped in the booking/prices I got.

• Advertisement
Advertisement