Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,486 ✭✭✭✭guil

Is the phone up to date software wise? If so you can't unlock after jailbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

guil wrote: »
    Is the phone up to date software wise? If so you can't unlock after jailbreaking.

Just updated it today..:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

Hey guys, im stuck at the moment..

I bought an iphone4 for my brother recently that was locked to 3, he now wants to change networks but he dosent qualify for the unlock code from 3 until he spends another 100 euros.

The filmware version is 04.12.09 but after looking on iclarified i cant seem to find a software unlock?

Its all very complicated and i cant find an answer (probably why im an Android man)

Can anyone help please?

Thanks guys.

Hey guys, im stuck at the moment..

I bought an iphone4 for my brother recently that was locked to 3, he now wants to change networks but he dosent qualify for the unlock code from 3 until he spends another 100 euros.

The filmware version is 04.12.09 but after looking on iclarified i cant seem to find a software unlock?

Its all very complicated and i cant find an answer (probably why im an Android man)

Can anyone help please?

Thanks guys.
    There's no software unlock available since the iPhone 4 was released with baseband 01.59.00

Other than paying 3 to unlock it, he won't get it done. A gevey sim might work but I think they are problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Is it possible to officially unlock my meteor iphone5 to accept a uk SIM card?? I spend some time up north but I can't get any signal up there.

I know I'll need to get meteor to unlock it from their network, but can the country lock be undone??

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Is it possible to officially unlock my meteor iphone5 to accept a uk SIM card?? I spend some time up north but I can't get any signal up there.

I know I'll need to get meteor to unlock it from their network, but can the country lock be undone??

Thanks

There will be no country lock, when Meteor provide the unlock, it will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

There will be no country lock, when Meteor provide the unlock, it will work fine.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭pedatron

If I upgrade to IOS 7.1 will I do any damage to the phone or does it just remove jailbreak? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

pedatron wrote: »
    If I upgrade to IOS 7.1 will I do any damage to the phone or does it just remove jailbreak? Thanks.
    Wont do any damage, will just remove the jailbreak completely. If youre a fan of jailbreaking though, prob best to hold off updating as 7.1 cant be jailbroken (yet, maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭pedatron

Simply Red wrote: »
    Wont do any damage, will just remove the jailbreak completely. If youre a fan of jailbreaking though, prob best to hold off updating as 7.1 cant be jailbroken (yet, maybe)

Yeah I'll stick with what I have now for now. Fairly happy with the tweaks and things I have going. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

71Jailbreak.com - Is this legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

There won't be a 7.1 untethered jailbreak. evasi0n is the only development team that released the iOS 7 jailbreak, I believe they want to save some exploits to be used in iOS 8, rather than just burning them for a minor update like 7.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Yeah, that's what I've since seen from looking around. Pity. First Apple device in years, guess I should have looked into iOS's current state before updating. Stuck with a device I can't jailbreak now. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

I'm looking to unlock my Vodafone iPhone 5s. Does it absolutely need to be Jailbroken to do so? It's running iOS 7.

Can't be unlocked by jailbreaking.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

How much would it cost to unlock Iphone 4 and where should I do it as need to change provider?
    Long story (nothing sinister) but not able to ring current provider to get it unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ive never owned an iphone before so im really clueless about what im going to ask so pardon me if theyre idiotic questions.

my friend in england wants to sell me their iphone 4s. its locked to o2 england afaik. can i unlock it free? or do i have to get it done in a phone shop? if so, how much? will it work normal like any irish iphone once unlocked?

MarkY91 wrote: »
    ive never owned an iphone before so im really clueless about what im going to ask so pardon me if theyre idiotic questions.

my friend in england wants to sell me their iphone 4s. its locked to o2 england afaik. can i unlock it free? or do i have to get it done in a phone shop? if so, how much? will it work normal like any irish iphone once unlocked?

02 uk will unlock it for him for £15 credit from his SIM card. Once unlocked you can use it no problem with any SIM card.

02 uk will unlock it for him for £15 credit from his SIM card. Once unlocked you can use it no problem with any SIM card.

so only o2 uk can unlock it? ill have to get onto him about this

turns out it was orange uk and its 21 pound to unlock. he says hes gona unlock it in a phone shop for about a tenner at the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

My Dad got an upgrade to iPhone 5s (from 4s) which he doesn't want. Is it possible to get this unlocked from Three?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

johnfás wrote: »
    My Dad got an upgrade to iPhone 5s (from 4s) which he doesn't want. Is it possible to get this unlocked from Three?
    http://apps.three.ie/contact_form/unlockcode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

And will they just do this for me even though new phone will be under contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

johnfás wrote: »
    And will they just do this for me even though new phone will be under contract?

Honestly I don't know. I've never had to get my phone unlocked by the network. In the UK I know three have just started unlocking phones still in contract, perhaps they do that in Ireland now. Worth submitting the form just to see anyway.

Could always ask on the 3 forum and have a rep clarify that for you either: http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1367

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Hi folks, I ran through the jailbreak on my iphone 5 last night. The jailbreak was successful and the phone rebooted. But it seems to be in a continuous boot now on the apple screen. The screen fades out and then comes back again with the apple logo.
    I dont really want to restore though as it seems to pull down IOS 7.1 which means I cant jailbreak it then.
    Any advice or ideas?

Run the jailbreak again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi all

as above....
    i want to upgrade from 5.1.1
    because of the amount of apps i cant use on io5

i have done some googling but theres a lot
    of conflicting info, ranging from, "its easy" to "its not possible"
    can anyone here give me defintive answer?
    i obvs want an untethered j/b, i dont need an unlock
    but that would maybe be a bonus in case i want to jump ship

many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

hi all

as above....
    i want to upgrade from 5.1.1
    because of the amount of apps i cant use on io5

i have done some googling but theres a lot
    of conflicting info, ranging from, "its easy" to "its not possible"
    can anyone here give me defintive answer?
    i obvs want an untethered j/b, i dont need an unlock
    but that would maybe be a bonus in case i want to jump ship

many thanks

Since it will update you to 7.1 then no, you will not be able to jailbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭fourmations

davo2001 wrote: »
    Since it will update you to 7.1 then no, you will not be able to jailbreak.

Hi, thanks for the reply, I have blobs for 6.1.3, does that change things? Sorry should have mentioned that
    the phone is currently jailbroken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Run the jailbreak again

How can I run the jailbreak when the phone is in recovery mode?

Advertisement