Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today (April 2cnd) is World Autism Awareness Day

Options
  • 02-04-2014 12:21pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quite a few articles online today. They probably say it better than anything I can come up with, the short & sweet is Autism is being diagnosed in 1 in every 88 children in Ireland, and it's increasing. It's not rain main. It can be a tough slog. It's not the end of the world, and it's not the end of your hopes for your child.

Everyday things can be extraordinarily difficult for a person on the spectrum, but challenges can be overcome. Yesterday, my 7 year old son overcame his fear of the vacuum cleaner. :D Then again, he kept me up for hours last night when he couldn't get back to sleep, so swings and roundabouts really.

The Keith Duffy article is a nice read, and the guide dog ones tells us that they've had to close the waiting list for assistance dogs again, due to lack of money and staff. If you were thinking about doing something, I think it's a good way to start.

Anyway, have a read if you have a moment. :)

Keith Duffy on Autism

Autism charity shuts waiting list for help dogs

Advertisement