Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invasion of Privacy by < Guesthouse owners>

Options
  • 05-02-2014 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Guys,

I was mortified this morning by the intrusion of our room by a member of the staff at <name of guesthouse>, Dublin 9. Myself and my partner stayed at this guesthouse overnight. We inadvertently lost the track of time this morning, which we were almost an hour past the check out. We thought it was 12 but it was in fact 11. Never mind but the point is that does a staff member have a right to open the door and tell us that we need to check out while we were still in bed?

I was mortified because I felt that the staff member could have the courtesy and respect by placing a note telling us that and late check out would apply. We would have no problem in paying for this. I confronted this staff member about this at the reception a few minutes later. She said that she was ordered by her boss. Her boss who is the proprietor was very rude and said that her staff telephoned and we never replied. Why? We are deaf and could not hear the phone. The staff knew we were deaf since we checked in and requested them to place a note under the door in case of emergency since we cannot use the telephone. (really special equipment for deaf should be provided as in case in some places).

The proprietor shrugged our protest and that we cannot hear the phone, etc. We complained about the intrusion of privacy and that she was being unethical. She even mocked our deafness and laughed by saying that we have to pay. She was so unapologetic. While we were annoyed by her discriminatory attitude, we remained calm and requested her to apologise. She refused by calling us a bluff that she would call in gardai. I said to her go ahead and we would discuss with gardai about the problem. It would be more of a civil matter than the criminal matter since we never refused to pay anyway.

My car was parked outside and the proprietor blocked my car by placing her car on front of mine. I think it was illegal to do so. I took the photo of this as an evidence. I managed to free my car from the blockage and got out. My partner and I requested the proprietor to apologise but she refused and continued to abuse and ridiculed our deafness. She kept smirking at us all the time. She in fact has not called gardai and gave us one more chance to settle up but we were not in position to do so with such kind of treatment. I wrote a note to her that she can go ahead and call the garda and that we were leaving, leaving her my number for gardai to contact me.

I will be calling in gardai to report but I am not sure what gardai can do. Still I will ask. I will also ask about the blockage of my car. I will be going down a number of avenues that might be available for us to raise our grievance as follows:

1. Intrusion of our privacy;
    2. Discrimination on our deafness;
    3. Attitude of the proprietor;
    4. Blocking our car.

Which agency should we complain about the attitude and behaviour of the hotel, B + B and Guesthouse by the proprietor/manager/staff.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

You were over an hour late for checkout ? Regardless of everything you have said, ofcourse they have the right to tell you to leave the room.... It sounds like a terrible situation but I think you need to take some deep breaths and look at the situation logically.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

I would say do nothing, you were an hour late for checkout and therefore in the wrong.

1. It's hardly an invasion of privacy, they were entitled to have the room vacated at that time
    2. I'm not seeing how they did this, if they refused to let you stay there because of it then yes sure it's discrimination
    3. You were very late checking out and then refused to pay so they probably weren't delighted with this
    4. To ensure you couldn't leave without paying surely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Big D Power

dharma2000 and Todd Gack

I agree but the manner she did overstepped the mark. She should handle it carefully and professionally with due consideration for guest privacy. She could simply tell us to pay the late checkout when we checked out. That's simple as it is.

A simple note under the door wouldnt go amiss.

I am sorry but I think you are missing the points I am making. I would ask you to re-read my message and think of the situation they could have done.

Commonsense should prevail...

And is it acceptable for her to mock and make fun of our deafness?

And we didnt refuse to pay. We will, only if she apologise...

She might do that again that would harm the privacy and dignity of the future guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Please do not post up particulars of this guesthouse

snorlax

Why?

Are you suppressing my right to freedom of speech? This guesthouse has discrimminated people. There are some people who really put people with disabilities into marginalism. The guesthouse owner mocked our deafness. You, snolax, are encouraging this type of hatred and stereotypical attitude that divide society.

You have no right to stop me with this kind of freedom of speech. It is enshrined in the constitution of Ireland and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

Just dont tell me what to do eh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

In fairness OP, if you can see a note under the door you can see what time you should check out. There is absolutely no excuse for the rudeness of the staff, however, in entering the room they may have also been concerned for your safety when you were late checking out and didn't answer the phone (I know you can't hear it, but staff may have forgotten this.).

You did refuse to pay. Saying you did not and then saying you will when they apologise, is refusing to pay. You were provided with services and ought to pay, apology or not. Absolutely make a strong complaint when you are on an equal footing with the BnB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

You were almost an hour past check out time when a staff member entered the room. So even if no one had entered the room, and even if you had realised right at that moment what time it was, you still would have had to dress and pack up and go to check out - so you would have in fact been occupying the room for close to 2 hours past check out time?

Of course its ok for a staff member to enter the room. You pay for the room from x time to y time - if its outside of those times you have no right to be in the room. What if you were dead in the bed in the room? How long do you think the staff would be expected to wait and put notes under the door before entering the room?

I think you are now using your disability to call "discrimination". I dont think you have been discriminated against. You may have encountered a rude person, but that is not discrimination. How was your deafness mocked? You say
    She even mocked our deafness and laughed by saying that we have to pay.
    How is that mocking your deafness, would she not say to a hearing person that they have to pay?

And now you have refused to pay, which is making a bad situation worse. Your car was blocked to try and prevent you from leaving because you hadnt paid - you brought this on yourself.

Can you explicitly explain in what manner your deafness was mocked and used against you in a discriminatory manner? I cannot see how the staff behaved towards you any differently than they would towards a hearing person. I have overslept in a hotel room and simply not heard knocks on the door and so someone entered the room. No amount on notes under the door will be seen by someone asleep, deaf or hearing.

Mitosis

You are so ignorant with the comment. Are you deliberately trying to annoy me? Yeah I did not refuse to pay. The booking was made online with credit card. They can always deduct anyway. The point being that the owner has a really rude attitude to our deafness. Is it ok for owner to insult coloured people because of their origin? Is it OK for her to insult older people because of their age?

By the way, there was no notice about checkout on the door or at the reception. The receptionist never informed us. We assumed that the checkout would normally be 12. It is the owner responsibility to let us know when we checked in, not after. You said we were provided with service - that is disputable.

You wanna check the fact before making subordinate comment like this.

All I asked you guys for assistance and guide. The only thing I get such negative comments that are not helpful at all. I would have thought that board.ie is a forum where one could help another - rather than dragging down others.

Maybe you have problem with understanding of the situation or you are deliberating annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,578 ✭✭✭uberwolf

snorlax

Why?

Are you suppressing my right to freedom of speech? This guesthouse has discrimminated people. There are some people who really put people with disabilities into marginalism. The guesthouse owner mocked our deafness. You, snolax, are encouraging this type of hatred and stereotypical attitude that divide society.

You have no right to stop me with this kind of freedom of speech. It is enshrined in the constitution of Ireland and the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

this is boards.ie, not the steps of the GPO. You do not have freedom of speech on this website. It seeks to facilitate the type of discussion that you wish to have, but it has no appetite for exposure to litigation resulting from comments made by people.

Username123 - not you too

You are one of the sad ones

I give you because you guys will never understand. My advise is do not book <snip> because the owner has attacked us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

snorlax

Why?

Ah, now I see why you were discriminated against. It's because you're a prick, not because you're deaf...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

No one can say if they were rude or discriminatory, as the only detail you've mentioned is that they smirked at you.

Your suggested method of contact of slipping a note under the door is unlikely it wake anyone, so would not be a option to see if a room was still occupied.

If they were rude, they were wrong. You were wrong about the checkout time. If you booked online, I presume the terms and conditions of the place were available, but you didn't check.

Saying you wouldn't pay without an apology is out of order. Your payment was not contingent on this.

Best case scenario, everyone got up on the wrong side of bed that morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I am happy to support you if you have been discriminated against but given what you have posted I cannot see how you have been discriminated against on the grounds of your disability.

You say you were mocked and abused because of your deafness. What was said?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Username123 - not you too

You are one of the sad ones

I give you because you guys will never understand. My advise is do not book xxxxxxxxxxxx because the owner has attacked us

How did they attack you?

Never mind guys, they have closed their account. /end storm in teacup.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

testicle wrote: »
    Ah, now I see why you were discriminated against. It's because you're a prick, not because you're deaf...

bit harsh coming for a testicle....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Jeez, sounds to me that the OP needs a massive bottle of ketchup for that chip on his shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

It's the guesthouse owner I feel sorry for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The TripAdvisor reviews of this guesthouse are generally very positive, but with occasional strongly negative ones that betray a touch of Fawlty Towers going on there. It does sound like there was fault on both sides.

Big D Power - If you encounter similar situations in future, use your phone to record what is happening, ideally with video, but if not, just audio. It is unforgivable that anyone in business would make fun of your deafness, regardless of what the provocation was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In fairness to the OP, if events happened as outlined, I would be making sure the deaf community knew. I would also be quite angry as he/she seemed to be here while posting.
    I am not deaf but I can imagine an incursion into a bedroom might be a little more frightening for someone who cannot hear the person coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

It would appear from the OP that he was asking for fair advise and when he received advise which he did not agree with, everyone was wrong. He and his companion overstayed their time and taking into account that they were deaf there was no alternative to asking them to leave but to enter the room. Maybe the proprieter thought that they had done a runner and had vacated their room unknown to him/her. As to mocking their deafness, I suppose what happened at the desk is open to interpetation considering we only received one side of the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

spurious wrote: »
    In fairness to the OP, if events happened as outlined, I would be making sure the deaf community knew. I would also be quite angry as he/she seemed to be here while posting.
    I am not deaf but I can imagine an incursion into a bedroom might be a little more frightening for someone who cannot hear the person coming.
    Leaving aside the mockery and rudnes, as the OP didn't really said anything else than being asked to pay, what did the guesthouse wrong?
    The guests were supposed to check out at 11:00 clock but hadn't and hadn't been seen by stuff, as they overslept. They could have been dead or unconscious lying in their room, or they could have left the guesthouse already without paying. The stuff didn't know if either of these events had happened, and they couldn't contact the persons in the room in any other way, as they were sleeping (note under door doesn't wake you up) and deaf (wouldn't hear knocking or telephone). What else was stuff to do in this situation, than enter the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Must remember to just stay in bed past checkout time next time I don't feel like paying for a hotel stay. Good one

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

I'd love to know the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

La Haine wrote: »
    I'd love to know the outcome.

I suspect all deaf people will be treated with suspicion for some time into the future, not only by this business but also by others they communicate with.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭PLUG71

testicle wrote: »
    :D Pissed myself at this comment which by the way I totally agree with!

Serious attitude issues!:eek::p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I suspect all deaf people will be treated with suspicion for some time into the future, not only by this business but also by others they communicate with.

Why should they be? one bad apple does'nt spoil the whole tree. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Riva10 wrote: »
    Why should they be? one bad apple does'nt spoil the whole tree. :rolleyes:

They should not be ..... IMO what should or should not be will not matter .... having a 'customer' such as the OP harp on about their disability, while refusing to pay the bill, leaves an impression with all those who had to deal with the situation.

Like it or not, that does leave a strong impression.
    Such impressions can affect the treatment of other customers with a similar hearing difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Demonique

snorlax

Why?

Freedom of Speech means you can criticise the government without being arrested, it doesn't mean you can say what you like on a PRIVATELY owned web forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

snorlax

Why?

Big D. I suggest you take this up with the Guest house owner and not on a privately owned forum. Closing this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement