Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does RTE 1 Main evening news never, ever start at 9pm?

Options
  • 29-06-2011 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

A minor but recurrent gripe.

RTE 1 main evening news is scheduled to start each evening (except Sats) at 9pm, but not once, in my experience, has it managed to do so.

If I turn on RTE 1 at, say, 8.56 pm, the 8.30 programme (normally some yawn-making house makeover show) is usually not nearly over. Credits start to roll at around 8.59 (if even then), followed by ads, and so the news does not start until about 9.03. Unsurprisingly, the continuity announcer never tells viewers what time it is at this point.

Obviously this is forgiveable now and again, but it now seems to be pretty much RTE policy do allow this.

Surely their editors and continuity people have noticed this by now. Would they not consider doing something about it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The news always began on time when RTÉ had this yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Because they're slaves to the advertisers and not one show starts on time as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Does 3 minutes make such a difference to your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If I turn on RTE 1 at, say, 8.56 pm, the 8.30 programme (normally some yawn-making house makeover show) is usually not nearly over. Credits start to roll at around 8.59 (if even then), followed by ads, and so the news does not start until about 9.03. Unsurprisingly, the continuity announcer never tells viewers what time it is at this point.

maybe your clock is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

No it isn't. Serious broadcasters like BBC would not allow this to happen with regularity, but sure, its good enough for us paddies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

No it isn't. Serious broadcasters like BBC would not allow this to happen with regularity, but sure, its good enough for us paddies.

You dont watch UTV/HTV then do you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You dont watch UTV/HTV then do you.

He said serious broadcasters.

The six o'clock news is far worse, its late every flipping time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

mike65 wrote: »

Yeah its always late by one minute :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭WASP0

445279.ie wrote: »
    Because they're slaves to the advertisers and not one show starts on time as a result
    +1
    Really annoying, RTE just want you to look at the ads and keep advertisers happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Regardless if you think they are a serious station or not,all i was saying is that UTV/HTV C4 and BBC1/BBC2/BBC3/BBC4 all run programs a minute or two later than advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Because it starts at 6:01

mikemac wrote: »
    Because it starts at 6:01

I can fix sarcasm/humour detectors at a good price if you are interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I got the joke, I should have put in a smilie to show that I suppose
    Relax

mikemac wrote: »
    I got the joke, I should have put in a smilie to show that I suppose

?

if that is the case, I dont get your post at all...perhaps there is something wrong with my own detectors!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Mr. Denton

Fianna Fail are constantly re-editing the broadcast right up to the last minute. Sometimes they go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Slight improvement last night. It started at 9.01. perhaps the RTE suits have spotted this thread and have decided to pulll their socks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Even the Angelus doesn't start at exactly 6 any more. At least on RTE Radio 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

tbh, what bothers me most is moving the news for that stupid Winning Streak... program..

RTÉ's timekeeping was always terrible. Drives my parents around the bend when they're trying to record stuff on Sky+

Advertisement