Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

death knell of the simpsons ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Armin Tamzarian and the Tomacco episode where the two i think the Tamzarian one was a blip of things to come.

But the one thing i don't like is the constant rewriting and rejigging of time, homer and marge in college, homer starting a grunge band, it was a decent episdode but homer and marge married after school when marge got pregnent. Those ones really bother me.

There are still plenty of stories to tell, we know nothing about Marges father other than he was an air steward, why not look into that,

What about other secondary characters, i liked last season where they had Ned and Enda getting together,

Say what you will about family guy but they have developed and had the characters grow,

South Park as well at the start it was just a stupid cartoon with swearing but the writers have figured it can be topical and up to date, also they're not afraid to take the piss out of themselves,

Futurama, has any cartoon ever made you cry? Jurassic Bark. Something none of the others have ever done.

Each show has it's own strengths and weaknesses, but the simpsons has had it's moment time to let it go on and be remembered with dignity,

On another note, has anyone seen Archer yet? It's fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

allanb49 wrote: »
    Futurama, has any cartoon ever made you cry? Jurassic Bark. Something none of the others have ever done.

Gonna follow you off topic - that episode was on this evening and the ending is one of the saddest things i've seen in any TV show,you'd need a heart of rock not to be moved by it.Remarkable stuff,now if the current stock of Simpson's writers were to take note....

But the one thing i don't like is the constant rewriting and rejigging of time, homer and marge in college, homer starting a grunge band, it was a decent episdode but homer and marge married after school when marge got pregnent. Those ones really bother me.
    Same as, I couldn't stand that one. What happened to Lisa being born during the 1984 Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

The Simpsons, at the end of Mother Simpson.

The Simpsons ended after Season 9. There have been no episodes since then, don't know what you all are talking about. There's no monorail here and there never was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

There's no monorail here and there never was.
    Best.Episode.Ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Why was the Armin Tamzarian episode the death knell?

Why was the Armin Tamzarian episode the death knell?

It was mainly the absurdity of it where the writers felt we can say "hey Skinner isn't skinner" this guy is,

then just change it around at the last second so it never happened so to speak, have the real skinner sent off tied on a train never to come back.

If they had of said Skinner is now Armin Tamzarian then all well and good it's developing the plot and giving the character some flesh. The show would have been stronger for it i think, But instead they copped out.

They did something simaler in the sugar episode where it was banned and then at the last moment the judge unbanned it.

The writing just got lazy and any excuse was given to why this happened

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Actually they didn't, there's another newer episode where Bart blackmails Skinner about his real name.

Is that not the one where lisa keeps getting the cats killed and she then just says at the end that i'll just call this cat snowball II and Skinner goes isn't that cheating, i don't know Mr Tamzarian.

Thats the only other reference i recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

It was mainly the absurdity of it where the writers felt we can say "hey Skinner isn't skinner" this guy is,

then just change it around at the last second so it never happened so to speak, have the real skinner sent off tied on a train never to come back.

If they had of said Skinner is now Armin Tamzarian then all well and good it's developing the plot and giving the character some flesh. The show would have been stronger for it i think, But instead they copped out.

They did something simaler in the sugar episode where it was banned and then at the last moment the judge unbanned it.

perhaps they began copying family guy where any unrelated set up can be intersected with the main plot for no apprarent reason

• Advertisement

Family Guy came out in 1999 this episode is from 1997 iirc,

Family guy have call backs to previous episodes all the time too,

Peter changing jobs, The relationship between Quagmire and Brian, Bonnie having the child,
    How many jobs has homer had on a whim?

Standard Simpsons season now has at least;

1x Marge episode
    1x Lisa episode
    1x Bart falling in love
    1x Homer gets a new job
    1x sideshow bob
    1x back in time homer and marge meeting
    1x celeb montage/group

It's become a tired formula,

Family Guy may have the cut away jokes, but it also has the 30 minute episode where it's just brian and stewie in the bank, the multiverse episode with different animation styles, the Star Wars specials,

They don't seem as rigid in the structure as The Simpsons has been

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Is that not the one where lisa keeps getting the cats killed and she then just says at the end that i'll just call this cat snowball II and Skinner goes isn't that cheating, i don't know Mr Tamzarian.

Thats the only other reference i recall.

Yep, that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Why dont they try and make the charachters older???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Yakuza wrote: »
    Best.Episode.Ever.

I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

longshanks wrote: »
    I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville and North Haverbrook.....

And by gum it put them on the map:

tumblr_kp4e6wjerz1qzvd84o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    What episode for you , was the death knell of the simpsons being funny ?

D'oh-in in the Wind was the beginning of the noticeable difference for me but I maintain that the show has got some spark again since Season 21.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It was all down hill after Hank Scorpio, :) .

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭kksaints

The horse racing episode Saddlesore Galatica or something. Terrible episode with a stupid storyline and a horrible song in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

You know, i don't think the Armin Tanzarian episode was the worst. There are a few memorable scenes in it.
    I'm thinking stuff like "can i borrow your copy of swank?" and i think the absurdity of the plot was treated knowingly and ironically which made it palatable. I always thought it was a "meta"-ish take on a cop out rather than a cop out.
    in that sense Martin Sheen's Skinner arbitrarily being carted out of town was kinda funny.
    Maybe i need to watch it again.
    The later episodes, of course, were unironically zany which is less appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The Armin episode was still funny I felt.

The show stopped being funny/emotional after season 10.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying that it wasn't funny, but it was the point where the cracks where beginning to show.

Advertisement