Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cash strapped RTE spend 130K ON GUESTS last year

Options
  • 02-07-2011 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

In the papers today already broke RTE who pay tubridy massive wages,spent 130k on guests alone,for the last season.
    This works out at €3417 per show,actual figure for the year was €129,859

Yet us the public pay the state broadcaster and dont get value for money on tv or radio.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Who do you think should pay the guests expenses? €3500 for the average show is peanuts compared to the advertising rates the show gets over the 2 hours. A complete non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

donegal11 wrote: »
    Who do you think should pay the guests expenses? €3500 for the average show is peanuts compared to the advertising rates the show gets over the 2 hours. A complete non story.

BULLS1TE the station is overpaying the presenters and broke yet continue to pay guests,end result the licence fee goes up for the whole county
    A COMPLETE STORY.

ALSO in the article anybody promoting books or films DONT GET PAID so figure that one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

Who do you think should pay the guests accommodation and transport to the show? Should they do it for free and be out of pocket?

donegal11 wrote: »
    Who do you think should pay the guests accommodation and transport to the show? Should they do it for free and be out of pocket?

:eek:LIKE I SAID inivite the stars promoting then there is no charge,immediate pay cuts not ones that linger for months.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

I find it very hard to believe that RTE are broke considering the money they get from each household for tv licences each year. 6 million people(guess) times 75 euro= 450 million quid. Id say they are doing alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I find it very hard to believe that RTE are broke considering the money they get from each household for tv licences each year. 6 million people(guess) times 75 euro= 450 million quid. Id say they are doing alright.

Ye wha..?

The tv license is €160 per household. I don't know where you're going with those figures. Anyway, there's 4.5 million people in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Who gets an appearance fee and who doesn't..I presume the RTE staffers don't get paid anything when they appear, do they?

I don't remember seeing any high profile people on the Late Late (by that I mean British or American actual celebrities), I just wonder who is getting this money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

jimmynokia wrote: »
    In the papers today already broke RTE who pay tubridy massive wages,spent 130k on guests alone
    This works out at €3417 per show,actual figure for the year was €129,859

Yet us the public pay the state broadcaster and dont get value for money on tv or radio.

And when you consider the high percentage of guests on RTE radio and TV shows, who are also RTE employees, plugging their own shows, you start to realise that they are paying themselves a second time. Its a total joke. I hope they go broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

6 million? Bit of an over-estimation there...census has the population at about 4.5 mill....and do you think every person in the state has to buy a licence?

The cost of a licence today is 160 quid. There are about 1,287,958 households in the state according to CSO. That's closer to 206 million...that's assuming every household pays the licence...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

keith16 wrote: »
    6 million? Bit of an over-estimation there...census has the population at about 4.5 mill....and do you think every person in the state has to buy a licence?

The cost of a licence today is 160 quid. There are about 1,287,958 households in the state according to CSO. That's closer to 206 million...that's assuming every household pays the licence...:D

Fair enough, bit of an overestimation on my part. The point still stands though, they are making crazy money off the license. 3 grand is chump change to RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

:eek:LIKE I SAID inivite the stars promoting then there is no charge,immediate pay cuts not ones that linger for months.;)

I never watch the Late Late unless I'm visiting the oul fella but there are enough people on the Late Late doing nothing but promoting books, plays etc without it becoming a 100% commercial advertising programme. In fact its one thing that seriously p!sses me off about the programme that sometimes 75% of guests are promoting a new book, album, play, perfume or some other sh!te that the majority of people have no interest in.

Paying a retainer and expenses such as a flight and hotel to non-promoting guests is totally normal in this business so we will just have to accept it, of course the wages of Tubridy, Duffy, Finucane etc is another matter.

I'd prefer if the Late Late did the odd show like before where a large segment of the programme is given over to topical discussion such as drug use, gambling issues, abortion and so on. It was one of the reasons why it was very watchable for so long. Thee only problem is that Tubridy is a pretty useless interviewer when the topic is more than just light entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 character

How do you think any chat show gets guests? A lot of them are plugging, but the Irish market just isn't big enough to pull in the big names regularly on that basis. But even the big UK shows pay huge amounts of money or do deals on flights and accommodation to pull in big names. If The Late Late didn't do it, you'd be whining about how the licence fee payer wasn't getting value for money by having to put up with no big name guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

ridiculous thread, 130k is not a big spend on guests. RTE salaries like Tubridys are too high but guest costs aren't high at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

bad2dabone wrote: »
    ridiculous thread, 130k is not a big spend on guests. RTE salaries like Tubridys are too high but guest costs aren't high at all.

I wouldnt say ridiculous, but I would agree €3500 per show is not a huge spend... There are two things about this though:

1) Last season, a HUGE percentage of the guests were promoting books, DVDs, etc etc, so the interviewee is going to gain fiscally from their participation in the show.. Thus, it is not right to judge The Late Late Show against a "proper" chat show like Graham Norton's Show, where all of the guests are famous people... The Late Late Show was more like an extended infomercial some nights...

2) It seems, based on the figures provided, that we can conclude that the presenter gets paid more per show than all of the guests on any particular show.... Given the performance of the presenter, THIS is ridiculous.

bad2dabone wrote: »

How is it rediculous thread when RTE are according to some making a mint yet they are in a 30 million euro deficit,(http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CEwQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.advanced-television.com%2Findex.php%2F2011%2F06%2F21%2Frte-to-make-job-cuts%2F&ei=_FwPTpKZJsOJhQfK2_n5DQ&usg=AFQjCNH1E8CEe1c4TL1WqNBdsrwIplgPpQ&sig2=n2FViy1mmCWiTy8a_ZNCHQ)We will see if you say that when they put up the licence fee again,thats assuming you pay it,and to be honest i dont really care if you do or dont.but in regards to the presenter of the late late its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

but in regards to the presenter of the late late its not worth it.

as regards the presenting "talent" on display I wholeheartedly agree with you. Tubridy isn't worth his salary, I think he's dreadful.
    But if you compare the advertising revenue for the late late the guest spend (which is after all what you have your knickers in a twist over) is a relatively small figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

jimmynokia in Tubridy bashing thread shocker!! :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Aidric wrote: »
    jimmynokia in Tubridy bashing thread shocker!! :eek::eek::rolleyes:

tubbers number 2 fan :P:P:P:P:P:D:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

3.5k per show is not that much really. I think the real problem with our National Broadcaster are the salaries of the so-called stars and the fact it is totally bloated with staff. If these are addressed then we will see the deficit come down.

As for the majority of guest promoting something it is the same on any BBC chat shows. Nearly every guest is promoting their book/album/film/play appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

2) It seems, based on the figures provided, that we can conclude that the presenter gets paid more per show than all of the guests on any particular show.... Given the performance of the presenter, THIS is ridiculous.

Definitely agree with this. The fact that Tubridy is earning up on 10,000 euro per week makes it impossible for me to watch the Late Late and properly enjoy it. I don't begrude anyone their salary when you work hard for it, but 10k is just ridiculous and I don't rate him either.

I wonder how much the guests actually get paid, as in those who are not promoting something? Is it expenses only maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Ye wha..?

The tv license is €160 per household. I don't know where you're going with those figures. Anyway, there's 4.5 million people in Ireland.

There's 1.5 million households.
    160 X 1.5 million. The other guy was just talking pure shíte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Paying people to advertise their products.
    Good on you RTE.

Think I'll hang a "Entrance fee for TV licence inspectors €200" on my front gate.
    Seeing as all sense has gone out the window.

Advertisement