Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It all boiled down to one question last night

Options
  • 24-02-2011 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

a rep from all the parties on tv last night- FF, FG, Lab, Greens and SF.

Pierce Doherty said that one of their first things they would do would be to cut TD's salaries by 40 percent and no one person would earn over 190,000.

He put it to the other parties - woudl they back him on this.

they blatently refused.

For me - that was the deciding factor - I will NOT be voting for a party who has no problem taking money from the poor but shows complete abhorrence when asked would they take a 40 percent cut.

game over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

So who exactly are you voting for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

it certain will not be tweedledum (ff), tweedledummer (FG) and tweedledummest (Labour) anyway.
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

How many billions will cutting TD's salaries save? (Not that I'm against the notion)

I'm amused though, you're voting for a party (SF I think it's safe to say) who wanna cut TD's salaries but who are also lying about most of their economic policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Cutting TDs salaries is just an LCD policy to get votes. Reducing TDs salaries is hardly gonna rescue the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Pierce Doherty said that one of their first things they would do would be to cut TD's salaries by 40 percent and no one person would earn over 190,000.

they blatently refused.

For me - that was the deciding factor - I will NOT be voting for a party who has no problem taking money from the poor but shows complete abhorrence when asked would they take a 40 percent cut.

game over.
    It's a bit disingenuous to claim that you decided last night who you would vote for when you've been on here banging the drums for Sinn Fein since the election was announced.

Edit: Actually, I've confused you with another poster so I WITHDRAW SIR!

• Advertisement

meglome wrote: »
    How many billions will cutting TD's salaries save? (Not that I'm against the notion)

I'm amused though, you're voting for a party (SF I think it's safe to say) who wanna cut TD's salaries but who are also lying about most of their economic policies.

hi meg, although I am tempted to vote for SF I am more an "independent" supporter. I do have to say tho, that SF have really impressed me with their campaign. They are also the only party that is anywhere close to what the economists are saying. Maybe I am just sick of the same old jaded faces behind door number 1, 2 and 3 for the last few years - labour is not labour - they will roll over and forget everything once they get in, just like the yellow party did - they are certainly not the left wing party they like to claim they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Voted Independent and FG at the last elections, Tony Gregory was my local guy. I implore everyone to not be fooled by people telling them what they want to hear. I'm not on my high horse about SF, I really don't particularly care who they are associated with as long as their policies make sense and they'd carry them out. The problem is they know some of their policies won't work as stated and they know it's very unlikely they'll get into power so won't have to explain that. They are lying to our faces, please please don't be fooled.

Read this thread. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056188964

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭AndywK

Pauleta wrote: »
    . Reducing TDs salaries is hardly gonna rescue the country.

Well thats a given obviously, but maybe when we see Politcians working on a lower wage it will show they are actually interested in their Job and not their paycheck.

I have always had the thought that Politicans should be treated as working people and they should not be put on a stage and have so many people brown nosing them.

a cut in TDs salaries is a step in the right direction for political reform, as only people who actually want to be politicians and work for the people would then still take the job.

Ya dig?

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Well said. Nothing wrong with people getting excellent wages for an excellent job. Of course goes without saying our previous government didn't earn their wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

They are also the only party that is anywhere close to what the economists are saying. .

WHAT??????:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Pearse should really be directing this question to his parliamentary collegues who all voted for pay increases.
    In a touching scene, deputies across all parties suspended hostilities and agreed to the estimates without a single objection.

The cost of salaries for TDs, senators and secretarial assistants will increase, while salaries of staff like those in catering and behind the Dail bar will decrease.

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/john-drennan/john-drennan-divided-dail-unites-to-give-itself-a-pay-rise-2410792.html

I would adamently differ with you - when the ordinary person sees these people who get paid to show up to work, who has a car and driving waiting for them, who cannot walk two or three steps at the one time before claiming expenses while they cut a minimum wage, junkets galore, as well as their massive wages and pensions (double and triple in some cases) - its a very big issue. Of course people are obsessed with it when they can't make ends meet. It is one of the central gripes people have unless you have not been listening to what people are saying. And the fact that when pinned on it, none of the other parties would even consider it. Shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Pauleta wrote: »
    Cutting TDs salaries is just an LCD policy to get votes. Reducing TDs salaries is hardly gonna rescue the country.

Yes so they cut low income families instead.My welfare was cut by 8 euros as were many more.

How many 8 euros would 40 % of a TD's salary make up?
    Bertie Ahern (FF)
    Basic salary: €106,581
    Expenses: €54,705
    Secretary Allowance: €40,090
    Total: €180,376
    PAYCUT? NO

Joe Costello (LAB)
    Expenses: €33,693
    Total: €180,364
    PAYCUT? NO

Cyprian Brady (FF)
    Basic salary: €100,190
    Committee Vice-chair: €10,241
    Expenses: €29,210
    Total: €179,731
    PAYCUT? NO

Dublin Mid-West

John Curran (FF)
    Salary: €139,266
    PAYCUT? Took 10% cut at time of budget.

Paul Gogarty (GP)
    Committee Chair: €20,023
    Expenses: €33,622
    Total: €200,316
    PAYCUT? NO

Mary Harney (IND)
    Minister for Health
    Salary: €230,000
    PAYCUT? 10% at time of budget.

Joanna Tuffy (LAB)
    Basic salary: €1000,190
    Expenses: €23,650
    Total: €163,930
    PAYCUT? NO

Dublin North

Michael Kennedy (FF)
    Committee vice-chair Chair: €10,241
    Expenses: €44,615
    Total: €195,136
    PAYCUT? NO

Trevor Sargent (GP)
    Junior Minister
    PAYCUT? Took 10% cut.

Darragh O'Brien (FF)
    Vive-Committee Chair: €10,241
    Expenses: €26,539
    Total: €177,060
    PAYCUT? NO

James Reilly (FG)
    Expenses: €54,746
    Total: €195,026
    PAYCUT? NO

Dublin North-Central

Richard Bruton (FG)
    Expenses: €28,288
    Total: €174,959
    PAYCUT? Yes (5%)

Sean Haughey (FF)
    Junior Minister
    PAYCUT? Yes 10% cut

Finian McGrath (IND)
    Expenses: €29,975
    Independent Allowance: €41,152
    Total: €217,798
    PAYCUT? Yes

Dublin North-East

Tommy Broughan (LAB)
    Expenses: €25,000
    Total: €172,571
    PAYCUT? No

Terence Flanagan (FG)
    Expenses: €21,334
    Total: €161,614
    PAYCUT? No

Michael J Woods (FF)
    Expenses: €41,212
    Committee: €20,023
    Total: €207,906
    PAYCUT? No

Dublin North-West

Roisin Shortall (LAB)
    Expenses: €40,482
    Total: €187,153
    PAYCUT? No

Dublin South

Tom Kitt (FF)
    Expenses: €33,499
    Total: €180,170
    PAYCUT? No

Olivia Mitchell (FG)
    Expenses: €29,672
    Total: €176,343
    PAYCUT? No

Eamon Ryan (GP)
    Minister For Energy
    Salary: €230,000
    PAYCUT? Yes, 10%.

Dublin South-Central

Sean Ardagh (FF)
    Expenses: €36,487
    Committee Chair: €20,023
    Total: €203,181
    PAYCUT? No

Michael Mulcahy (FF)
    Expenses: €33,664
    Total: €180,335
    PAYCUT? No

Mary Upton (LAB)
    Expenses: €35,166
    Total: €181,837
    PAYCUT? No.

Cathrine Byrne (FG)
    Expenses: €27,090
    Total: €167,370
    PAYCUT? No.

Works out at about 4140000 for Dublin only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

OP, re your first post, what does the 190,000 refer to? Politicians, civil servents, semi-state bodies, private sector or all of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

dave1982 wrote: »

how many TDs are there?

How many on welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

they blatently refused.

game over.

In fairness the only reason Pierce Doherty and Gerry Adams etc can talk all day about how they are going to cut TD's salaries and reversing budget cuts is because they know they won't be in the next government. They can't seem to back their proposals with other ways of sourcing money! At best they will be leader of the opposition (which is also unlikely).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Labour agree on public sector pay to be capped at €190k, Fine Gael want to cap it at €200k.

Massive +1, if a politician does a professional job, they should be paid as such. Sadly, the previous lot didn't deserve their high salaries.

Politician pay realy comes across as a red herring that distracts from the other issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

they blatently refused.

game over.

I watched that and I thought it was absolutely ridiculous for Doherty to ask other parties to support his policy when they are all putting forward their own wide ranging policies for politican reform - not just cutting salaries. It is just another case of SF looking for the populist vote. The man is a clown.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Yes so they cut low income families instead.My welfare was cut by 8 euros as were many more.

Works out at about 4140000 for Dublin only

I don't think anyone is arguing that TD's salaries (just like everything else the government pays for) shouldn't be cut. I think the point is most of the those calling for the salaries to be cut are doing so for populist vote getting reasons. We are many billions in a spending hole which cutting TD's salaries won't fix. As Permabear said top CEO's get paid well for doing a good job and there's nothing wrong with paying politicians well if they do a good job, especially now that we're in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I agree that politicians wages need to be brought in line with the average across Europe as do PS wages as well. But unless you tackle the overall cost of the state carrying out its business even getting TD's to work for free would not change things one little bit. I am currently unemployed and if it takes another cut in that to ensure the majority still get some benefit so be it.

This country is extremely damaged and I would prefer someone to be honest with me and say we are going to have a lot of pain before there is a recovery than play fantasy economics with my families future like Sinn Fein are. That is why I am giving my vote to FG because out of all the parties I believe that they will create the environment for job creation and getting me and people like me back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭paul71

gandalf wrote: »
    I agree that politicians wages need to be brought in line with the average across Europe as do PS wages as well. But unless you tackle the overall cost of the state carrying out its business even getting TD's to work for free would not change things one little bit. I am currently unemployed and if it takes another cut in that to ensure the majority still get some benefit so be it.

This country is extremely damaged and I would prefer someone to be honest with me and say we are going to have a lot of pain before there is a recovery than play fantasy economics with my families future like Sinn Fein are. That is why I am giving my vote to FG because out of all the parties I believe that they will create the environment for job creation and getting me and people like me back to work.

Thank you gandalf, I am currently unemployed too and am tired of people assuming that I and others here supporting cuts in social welfare and government spending are part of a privilaged elite.

I want these cuts now so that an envirionment is created which allows businesses to create employment.

Advertisement