Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fill the card or 1-2-3?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Bassboxxx wrote: »
    So i'm thinking if I was looking for votes would I prefer a 15th preference or no vote?

If there are 15 candidates, a #15 is exactly the same as voting 1-14 and leaving 15 blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I'm prob over simplifying this but the way it looks to me is, there is no way to vote against someone only order of preference.
    So i'm thinking if I was looking for votes would I prefer a 15th preference or no vote?

Naming someone in last place is the same as voting against that person - it is saying that he/she is the very last person on the list that you would choose for the job.

You definitely get the most from your vote by placing all the candidates in order of preference - you can look at it as voting for no. 1 or voting against no. 15, but isn't the effect exactly the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Im just doing one or two, the rest are all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Im just doing one or two, the rest are all the same.

Come on, as a SF voter, you're left wing and republican. You must see that FF and Labour are more Republican and Left Wing than FG, so you should vote SF, FF, Labour, FG.

You're just throwing away your...

Oh, never mind, carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I'm prob over simplifying this but the way it looks to me is, there is no way to vote against someone only order of preference.

Correct. Only order of preference to put your least favoured candidate at the bottom.

As to what I think you are asking... whether it's better for the candidate to be actually at the bottom or not there at all. The answer is it makes no difference. The vote can't apply to the candidate since by the time it gets to the candidate at the bottom all the seats have been filled, and every other candidate must have been either eliminated or elected.

Ix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Come on, as a SF voter, you're left wing and republican. You must see that FF and Labour are more Republican and Left Wing than FG, so you should vote SF, FF, Labour, FG.

In what way are FF more left-wing than FG? They certainly seem to be in thrall to neoliberal economic orthodoxy. Not being funny, but I really don't see the difference between these two parties except for their origins, which I consider irrelevant to an election in 2011 since I will be voting on policies (and not for either of them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Im voting SF no1, local labour guy no 2, the rest are equal in my eyes, cant pick a best or worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 TheYid

I thought I had a basic knowledge of our voting system, but after reading this thread, I don't think I understand the transfer of votes. I googled the PR-STV system and found this link, but I still don't get it fully. Is there any other links I can read to further my knowledge. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

When I'm voting, I usually dislike certain candidates more than I like my top candidates. So, I vote in reverse, from the person I most dislike up. That way I can be sure there is absolutely zero chance that my vote can assist those I dislike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,489 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Giving them your last preference is essentially a vote against them.
    Any candidate would love any preference other than the last one (although they'd hope for higher).
    padraig71 wrote: »
    In what way are FF more left-wing than FG?
    FF are / have been populist, insofar as they try to appeal to everyone so that they can maintain power. They do what is politically convenient, not what would be good long term planning ("If I have money I'll spend it - McCreevy").

Part of being populist was throwing money at welfare, health, education and workers in order to buy votes, as opposed to saying "this boom is based on borrowed money and when it comes to being paid back, we'll need money to tide us over".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭deanh

Victor wrote: »
    In the boards.ie poll, you can edit things and re-vote.

In the real world, if you make a mistake, either (a) change the vote, e.g. by changing the 1 to a 4 (or a 7, 9 or 11) or (b) ask the polling clerk for a new ballot paper and put a big X through the first ballot paper.

Is this true? I have never heard of a polling clerk issuing a second validated ballot to a voter. I assumed that the first would be counted as a spoilt vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

It works very like a CAO form, for anyone who has filled one in recently.

Your top preference is the vote counted on the first count; if they are eliminated, then your vote goes to the second preference. If they are eliminated, it goes to the 3rd preference and so on down the list.

There is no point in putting down a number beside anyone you don't actually want to vote for; it is possible, particularly in tightly contested constituencies, that your vote will be transferred to them.

The message is simple; only put a number down beside people you actually want to vote for.

Advertisement