Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business HL HELP!!

Options
  • 05-06-2010 11:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

ok so I've had a terrible business teacher the past 2 years- i a class of 20 4 of us are doing honours!! she spent all her time with the OL students and I really wasn't that bothered until this week when I realised how little she has taught us! I'm kinda going over everything myself in the book and a revision one i have but I have a few questions about the course...

(i) whats the format for answering ABQ's? our teacher told us to state it explain it and then just quote from the text.

crappy eg: organisation: is the gathering together of human resources to achieve a common goal "martina organised her employees together to..."

I did this layout in the mock but I only got half marks for everything?? :s

(ii) Is there a difference between skills and characteristics?

eg if asked in ABQ to give characteristic of entrepreneur (eg innovative) but instead I said a skill (eg communication) would I get marks??

(iii) Should answers to long questions include your own opinion??

any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

ok so I've had a terrible business teacher the past 2 years- i a class of 20 4 of us are doing honours!! she spent all her time with the OL students and I really wasn't that bothered until this week when I realised how little she has taught us! I'm kinda going over everything myself in the book and a revision one i have but I have a few questions about the course...

(i) whats the format for answering ABQ's? our teacher told us to state it explain it and then just quote from the text.

crappy eg: organisation: is the gathering together of human resources to achieve a common goal "martina organised her employees together to..."

eg if asked in ABQ to give characteristic of entrepreneur (eg innovative) but instead I said a skill (eg communication) would I get marks??

If you give skills instead of characteristics you'll fail. They're totally different. Characteristics are things you're born with e.g. confidence, risk taker, ruthless. Whereas you can learn skills e.g. time management, reality perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

My teacher told us not to give our own opinion unless they ask for it. She told us just to state the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mazda

my teacher told us to use skills and characteristics as the same because the examiners recognise that they are very similar :) usually the question is posed as "skills/characteristics" anyway so it shouldn't be a problem!

anyone have any hints or tips for the exam? business is the bane of my existence at this stage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

i know the feeling, was in your position last year! but I ended up with an a1 so it is possible! ;)

I think with business there's a partucular way to answering the questions, for example if the question says ''explain privitisation'' you would firstly state the fact but you must also give an example...explain always means state and example.

In the abq your teacher is correct jus answer thw question your asked (make sure its what you were asked though!) and always give a relevant quote from the abq aswel.

As far as I know only give your opinion in the long questions if asked for it. I think some questions might even say to give your opinion if I remember right? Just break the abq and long questions into chunks of 5 marks e.g. if its a 20 mark question give 4 points @ 5 marks each. Make sure you knows all the laws on the course, theres always a long question on a law. Marketing is another topic thats always the last question, and there's not too much to learn for it. Also know all the ratio's and break even (because unfortunately thay didnt come up last year for me :mad: ) but I think they're due up!

Hope that helps some bit and best of luck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

The key to business is definitions, understanding the questions being asked, and exploitation of the marking scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 leavingcert92

thank you! feel more reassured now! :D

Advertisement