Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recovering owed costs for a website I done.

Options
  • 31-05-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭

I did a small website for a friend of a friend over a month ago for €250 and I think its obvious that I am not going to be paid. The person told my friend that they paid me which they diddn't and every time I email them I get a one line answer saying that I will see it soon but they refuse to give me a date. No contract was signed between us but I have a list of email correspondence between us going right back to the start. I am gonna threaten them to bring them to the small claims court. I have a feeling that the site was part of college work also so I would also threaten to have the college involved in it. Would I have a chance of winning such a case or am I basically screwed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you did the website you should have admin passwords etc.

just a suggestion but change these and put a redirect to a page saying this webpage is not available due to non-payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭clearz

I am not hosting the website. The files where emailed to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭elyod

Do you happen to know what college this person attends?

If you do, tell him that you will go into the college and say you feel you did work which may have been used in a project. That might get his attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭clearz

I have googled this person and found a lot of stuff related to him and DCU I have also contacted my friend to find out if this work was used for a college project and what college he attends. I agree by threatning to go to the college should get his attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Unless you have a written contract you can forget about recouping the costs. I've been stung a few times by not being paid, or partially paid for websites.

If he's using your work without your consent then he's committing copyright infringement. Contact the college stating that he's using your work for one of his projects. They won't hesitate in sorting it out - you won't recoup your costs but you'll get even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

clearz wrote: »
    I did a small website for a friend of a friend over a month ago for €250 and I think its obvious that I am not going to be paid. The person told my friend that they paid me which they diddn't and every time I email them I get a one line answer saying that I will see it soon but they refuse to give me a date. No contract was signed between us but I have a list of email correspondence between us going right back to the start. I am gonna threaten them to bring them to the small claims court. I have a feeling that the site was part of college work also so I would also threaten to have the college involved in it. Would I have a chance of winning such a case or am I basically screwed.

You can't bring freelance work to the Small Claims Court. It's only for consumer affairs. This guy sounds a bit like a chancer though, so i'd say you just need to push him for the money, he just thinks you're easy to ignore. I doubt he set out to not pay you though.

Here's a few things you could do:

1. Threaten to contact the college.
    2. Send him a solicitors letter. (this is your best bet)
    3. Call around to his place.
    4. Print out all the email exchanges you have related to money as well as the designs and put them in a nice folder so you have things to hand whenever you're dealing with anyone regarding this.

I'd suggest starting softly, by calling sending him a typed letter saying that payment is overdue and that it is due within the next 14 days. Follow that up with a call, and when he squirms out of it, tell him you will be around to collect it at a given time (that you know he will be there) If that doesn't work, then camp outside his house for a few days until he pays, and if that still doesn't work, then threaten to tell the college authorities. Note, but do not do any of these threats unless you're going to carry them out, and swiftly.

Personally though, I'd try get a solicitors letter if you can pull any favours.

Also, if you're going to his house and need some moral support, try get an older equaintance who's more experienced in business matters to accompany you.
    macroman wrote: »
    Unless you have a written contract you can forget about recouping the costs. I've been stung a few times by not being paid, or partially paid for websites.
    You can recoup costs even if you don't have a contract, but it's generally best to have one. Also, it's always a good idea not to deliver anything until the money is handed over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Write it off, but contact the college about it and hopefully get him done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

The small claims court is no use to you anyway, they have rules about what types of cases they will hear, in particular that you must be a retail customer to take a claim and the respondent must be a business seller.

Advertisement