Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Run Down to the Shop and get a Paper for your Daddy!!

• 28-08-2007 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

The father of an eight-year-old girl who completed a 55-day run across eastern China denied forcing her into the ordeal, saying she considered pounding the pavement for hours each day a form of play.

"You can force your child one day," Zhang Jianmin was quoted as saying in the China Daily newspaper, referring to his daughter, Huimin.

"But you can't force one to wake up early in the morning everyday if one doesn't want to," Zhang said.

Zhang Huimin reached Beijing on Sunday after running the 2,212 miles from her home on the southern island province of Hainan. Her father, a distance runner in his youth, followed her on an electric bicycle.

The girl, who weighs three stones and stands four feet tall, ran an average of 40 miles, or roughly one and a half marathons, each day.

Huimin's experience recalls the case of Budhia Singh, a four-year-old Indian boy who was banned from running long distances after medical tests showed his health had suffered after he ran much of a 40-mile marathon.

Doctors concluded the boy was undernourished, anaemic and under could suffer heart problems. China Daily said experts believed Zhang's health could also be affected.

"The running will certainly harm her," it quoted Liu Hong, director of the China School Sports Federation, as saying.

"It is an extremely hard running process even for an adult," Liu was quoted as saying.

However, Zhang Jianmin said he was just carrying out his daughter's wishes, saying: "I never impose my will on her."

For the girl, running is "more about jumping and playing, rather than a chore," the paper quoted Zhang as saying.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/mhcwojmhkfau/

Bloody Hell! The poor kid.

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Well 40x55=2,200, so it sounds like she cheated to me as regards 12 of those miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Thats madness....poor kid!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Thats pure child abuse! Poor thing. What if she gets injured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ShowUsYourXbox

Could be worse.. he could be molesting her when they stop to rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Could be worse.. he could be molesting her when they stop to rest.

Now thats just morbidly obese.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Think of the poor neighbours, when she shows them her sponsorship card

"Yes I know I promised you 50c a mile, but......"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The kid was interviewed on TV, she looked happy and said she loved running. Fair play, she'll win a few races like.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Lump wrote:
    The kid was interviewed on TV, she looked happy and said she loved running. Fair play, she'll win a few races like.

John

Thats if she makes it to puberty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Maximilian wrote:
    Well 40x55=2,200, so it sounds like she cheated to me as regards 12 of those miles.

Article says she ran an average of 40 miles a day.

Little kids like to please their parents, it's up to the parents to encourage them in the right direction.......or maybe to show the kid when to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭D Bronc

OMG:eek: How can he say an eight year old child loves running 40 miles a day while he being such a supportive father........................................................................... follows behind on an electric bike. Real Responsible Parenting, if that happened here Social Services would be beating down the door and the parents would be locked up (where they deserve). God help her, the "Training" will only get harder as she gets older. You wouldnt punish your worst enemy like that. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

dame wrote:
    Article says she ran an average of 40 miles a day.

Little kids like to please their parents, it's up to the parents to encourage them in the right direction.......or maybe to show the kid when to stop.

I admit to not being great at maths but if 40 is the average then it still comes to 2200 and she is still a cheat. I say burn the child or make her run that extra 12 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

They must have rounded off all the decimal places before they worked out the average....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Steve_o wrote:
    Maybe she was morbidly obese and that's why he forced her to run? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Absolut wrote:
    The average was 40 per day, so some days she ran more than 40, others she probably ran a little less than 40. So overall she ran still ran 2,212.

This is simple maths, mate. The average is the total divided by the number of instances. Thus over 55 days, the average to total 2212 is 40 miles and 384 yards per day.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I hope those of you here think that you can run 2212 in 55 days at an average pace of 40 miles per day are not in any job where maths is critical to the health or wealth of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭Wossack

dame wrote:
    it's up to the parents to encourage them in the right direction.......

sounds to me like the father encouraged her in a northerly direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Coolest thread name ever !
    The father should be done by social services for overseeing the whole thing. Kids are too young at that age to be subjected to that kind of exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Ok. for the pedants (and there are quite a lot of them) she ran an average of 40.218181818181818181818181818182 miles per day. You all happy with that figure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Steve_o wrote:
    I do not think that word means what you think it means.
    tallus wrote:
    The father should be done by social services for overseeing the whole thing. Kids are too young at that age to be subjected to that kind of exercise.
    This is China, social services means paying for the bullet used to execute your family member for speaking out against the regime. This whole story is just more moronic chest beating from the PRC leading up to the Olympics, á la soviet-style propaganda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I do not think that word means what you think it means.
    I got it. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement