Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to remove bathroom cabinet,sink and mastic/sealent?

• 16-10-2012 3:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

How in gods holy name do I remove a "free standing" bathroom sink and cabinet?

The original plumber seems to have bonded both the sink and the cabinet to the tiled wall with some sort of mastic/grip adhesive and sealent...(its not normal silicone sealent)

Nither the cabinet or the sink want to budge or move,and Ive stripped off all the under sink pipeing and waste fittings.I sliced through all the mastic/sealent I could get to.

Still the fecker wont move or come away from the wall.

I also checked to see if it was screwed to the wall,and its not.

Any tips here on how to remove both,without breaking the wall or tiles open??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

hacksaw blade caught in a vice grips worked for me once but had plenty room
    at both sides like you dont know what kind of **** was used to stick but wasnt std
    silicone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

jimf wrote: »
    hacksaw blade caught in a vice grips worked for me once but had plenty room
    at both sides like you dont know what kind of **** was used to stick but wasnt std
    silicone

I might try that.

It looks like a Tech-7 style of mastic,its not normal bathroom silicone that you would use for sealing the gap between the sink and the tiled wall.

Its some sort of heavy duty rubbery type mastic.It was used to bond the sink onto the cabinet,then bond the sink to the wall,and then bond the back of the cabinet to the wall aswell.Its everywhere.:mad:

And it is an absolute bitch to try and get a large stanley blade to slice through it.:(

tech 7 great tack until you want to remove remember once getting a silicone remover think it was from wurth

Well the hacksaw blade trick worked.

But I had to go more extreme on actually removing the basin and use a larger saw.

The mastic that was used,was everywhere,and was a bitch to get to with the saw.

I had to gently lever the basin and the wall apart to get the saw in to cut the mastic away.

Anyway job done.

Thanks again for the tip and advice.:)

Can I ask where I can get silicone sealant remover?

How does it work?

Would it cause any damage to the tiles?

And approx what sort of price does it cost?

Thanks.:)

• Advertisement

sure i got it in wurth ireland in limerick cant remember price it was about 10 years ago but good tack

Advertisement