Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tuam Railway Station?

Options
  • 19-07-2012 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Whats up with the Tuam railway station? I heard it was meant to be complete by the end of 2011, and It was renovated in 2010? yet on IrishRail.ie It doesn't show up on the map of stations, I heard it was meant to be open by end of 2011 on the Limerick to Sligo line, anyway that doesn't really matter, but does anyone know the story with it? or when it will be open or what? :P thanks, I just cant seem to find any new information on the internet about it.

Comments

Tuam was part of phase 2 of the WRC, which was put on hold due to the current economic situation. Whether we'll see it happen or not I don't know but with the current low loadings on Athenry-Ennis I'd find it unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ocsmoke

Yeah, Wasn't it like two parts to that? and part 1 was that tuam would be complete, but anyway, F*c* sake, it'd be so much handier for me, so I don't have to get like 2 buses, and not being familiar with Galway i've to look around, anyway, yeah, the train station is in good condition tho, isnt it only a little work to be done?

Ocsmoke wrote: »
    Yeah, Wasn't it like two parts to that? and part 1 was that tuam would be complete, but anyway, F*c* sake, it'd be so much handier for me, so I don't have to get like 2 buses, and not being familiar with Galway i've to look around, anyway, yeah, the train station is in good condition tho, isnt it only a little work to be done?

Not exactly. The whole track would have to be lifted, new track laid and new ballast laid. Also the signalling would need to be updated to modern standards and bridges may need to be rebuilt. It's a huge undertaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ocsmoke

Karsini wrote: »
    Not exactly. The whole track would have to be lifted, new track laid and new ballast laid. Also the signalling would need to be updated to modern standards and bridges may need to be rebuilt. It's a huge undertaking.

Ah, Now I see, thanks for the info mate, I couldn't find any update on the net :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

the whole story here in excruciating and repetitious detail (51 pages and counting) http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055766866

Suffice it to say the decision to fund the Tuam road in the recent package has converted this from "very unlikely" to "very very unlikely". It's a shame in some ways, the locals made an effort to clean up the station recently which I like to see and wish would happen elsewhere.

That said without a concerted effort hitherto unprecedented in the Irish transport universe (identification of and financial commitment to a freight flow as well as a passenger flow to pay the bills offpeak, commitment of Galway County Council to co-fund stuff like grade separation of level crossings rather than look for central funding of everything, a deposit system where people could put down a sum to demonstrate commitment to buy a non-refundable annual rail pass in the first year of service, arrangement of local bus services to feed the railhead, park and ride etc. etc.) then it's too big a risk to load onto a system which needs to make existing service profitable rather than assume more loss making service.

On the technical side, there is an unfortunate layout issue in Athenry where a bay platform on Tuam side (similar to the one being built in Clonsilla) would I believe be precluded to the existing overbridge - this would have allowed a railcar to shuttle to and from Tuam in a similar fashion to Manulla-Ballina to meet Dublin-Galway-Limerick service. Creating a direct through service would improve the attractiveness of the service for commuters but the unfortunate reality of the rail service in that area is with trains coming to and from Limerick, Galway, Dublin and Tuam along single tracks it's a recipe for people being stuck on trains just outside Athenry waiting for other trains to clear the platform ahead.

When WRC phase 1 was proposed, I and others pointed out that if Athenry-Ennis was relaid without any capacity expansion between Athenry and Galway that this was going to mean that timetabling was going to be compromised and expansion north of Athenry was going to have that cost included in its programme budget - and that was back when it looked like there might be so much money sloshing around State coffers Athenry-Tuam might actually get built.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Perhaps if Westrail hadn't been so shabbily treated by CIE there would be a thriving heritage line operating between Tuam and Athenry today. Good thread here: http://irnirishrailwaynews.yuku.com/topic/1933/Westrail-Adventure#.UAhA82FrMjA read it and weep!

5ac16f17a4c5d9f086ff9400cc9288ed19195fd8.pjpg

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Ocsmoke wrote: »
    Im saying this tongue in cheek, don't take offence, but where have you been for the last 3years, the celtic tiger is dead, theres no more money to waste, hospital wards are closing down, Im afraid white elephants are at the bottom of the list, part 2 of the WRC project is not going to happen, the WRC action group are gone very quite, even they have realized the game is up, Im very pro rail, anybody who knows me, but I also live in the real world, unless some miracle happens in Knock, ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The "renovation" in 2010 consisted of it being painted and cleaned up by locals, that's all.

more than most places did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

I have to say well done to the local community for cleaning the station up. But I do not see it ever coming back into use as a proper passenger facility. A heritage operation would be desirable, but seemingly CIE / Iarnrod balk at the idea of it, or even assisting in any manner in doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dermo88 wrote: »
    A heritage operation would be desirable, but seemingly CIE / Iarnrod balk at the idea of it, or even assisting in any manner in doing so.

why is that?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

dermo88 wrote: »
    I have to say well done to the local community for cleaning the station up. But I do not see it ever coming back into use as a proper passenger facility. A heritage operation would be desirable,
    Thats about it, something similiar to Kiltimagh, a heritage centre for tourists, at least it would show a railway station did indeed exist.

But Iv always said these lines could survive if heavy freight flows existed, but in the present times they don't.
    They will never see heavy passenger loadings, apart from Limerick / Ennis I think part 1 of the WRC has proven that, it has turned out to be a very expensive experiment.

Sugar Beet at Tuam and Bell containers on the WRC is a thing of the past, doesn't exist anymore, the world has moved on, for better or for worse, whats left of the rail systerm is fighting for its survival.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dennis124wwr

It was so close to opening.....
    until it was delayed
    when is it going to be open???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not in the foreseeable future. The Government have no plans for Heavy Rail lines re-opening.

I would dispute that it was ever "close" to opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

It was so close to opening.....
    until it was delayed
    when is it going to be open???

Well when Tuam Railway Station finally reopens to passenger trains there should be a coffee concession there called "Wake up and smell the Coffee" :P

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Well when Tuam Railway Station finally reopens to passenger trains there should be a coffee concession there called "Wake up and smell the Coffee" :P
    More like a head shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

dowlingm wrote: »
    More like a head shop.

We shall see!

Advertisement