Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gingerbread on Desire! *WARNING* SENSELESS!

Options
  • 19-01-2011 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Just to let everyone know that Cyanogen is currently doing Nightly CM7 ROMs based on Gingerbread for the Desire, I have installed it and it's running smoothly with no noticeable bugs. Looks very nice so far and love the way the screen turns off!

As it's Cyanogen it is a senseless mod so beware, if you like Sense then wait for one with Sense, maybe from Modaco etc.

Also you need to have ROM Manager Premium to get it straight to your phone, not sure if it's available to non donators on the website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Handy. I only came on here to find out about this.

You do need premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

gonna give this a lash...lookin forward to a bit of gingerbread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭cullenswood

As its senseless do you need another launcher or something, and if so how does this work, and would it cause problems if I wanted to go back to a sense based ROM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

As its senseless do you need another launcher or something, and if so how does this work, and would it cause problems if I wanted to go back to a sense based ROM?

Theres a launcher built in, ADW, i think?? You can switch between sense and non-sense roms as much as you like..just do a full wipe before switching..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭seanin4711

for file download
    thanks
    s

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

screenshots would be nice also ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

seanin4711 wrote: »
    for file download
    thanks
    s
    Here is the link to the thread on xda - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=829734

Screenshots on the the first post of that thread

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

I installed this (oxygen 2.0 RC6) coming from LeeDroid 2.3d (sense froyo)

A weird thing happened to my apps - i was using apps2sd+ and had loads of space. I did a full wipe (i thought) but all my apps were still there after flashing this rom. BUT it was telling me i was low on space - 110/130mb used ... strange - i thought my apps were all on the 1GB ext3 partition ... hmmm

Anyway, a couple of observations

- 3 homescreens is really limiting
    - battery life is poor - lost 50% with screen off overnight
    - nice visual, transition effects etc
    - the stock dialler is not great - love the sense dialler where you can start typing someone's name on the number pad
    - no way (that i can find) of combining multiple contacts into one contact (you can with sense)
    - the clock widget is ugly and starkly utilitarian
    - the little bar at the bottom with 6 commonly used apps available on all homescreens is brilliant
    - the power control widget is a big improvement - resizable and has the buttons you choose
    - calendar widget is also poor compared to sense (i think it's agenda?)

anyway - in summary - gingerbread was supposed to be the release that made sense and other UI overlays redundant, but for me it still needs a bit of sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

- the stock dialler is not great - love the sense dialler where you can start typing someone's name on the number pad

I have tried a couple of non-sense Roms and the 3 points above are the reasons I always come back to Sense.

I'm looking forward to some Gingerbread Sense Roms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I installed this (oxygen 2.0 RC6) coming from LeeDroid 2.3d (sense froyo)

A weird thing happened to my apps - i was using apps2sd+ and had loads of space. I did a full wipe (i thought) but all my apps were still there after flashing this rom. BUT it was telling me i was low on space - 110/130mb used ... strange - i thought my apps were all on the 1GB ext3 partition ... hmmm

- 3 homescreens is really limiting
    - battery life is poor - lost 50% with screen off overnight
    - nice visual, transition effects etc
    - no way (that i can find) of combining multiple contacts into one contact (you can with sense)
    - the little bar at the bottom with 6 commonly used apps available on all homescreens is brilliant
    - the power control widget is a big improvement - resizable and has the buttons you choose

anyway - in summary - gingerbread was supposed to be the release that made sense and other UI overlays redundant, but for me it still needs a bit of sense!

Ehh just install launcher pro? All the issues you listed above are easily fixed by just installing stuff. This rom is SUPPOSED to be minimal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

nedd wrote: »
    I have tried a couple of non-sense Roms and the 3 points above are the reasons I always come back to Sense.

And copy and paste function (edit: in browser) is another reason for me.

Calendar can be replaced by the launcher pro widget calendar which is probably slightly better than HTC's one.

nedd wrote: »

Launcher pro + beautiful widgets (pay) completely replaces Sense, with even better widgets. There is no need to use Sense, it just drains your battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

srsly78 wrote: »
    Ehh just install launcher pro? All the issues you listed above are easily fixed by just installing stuff. This rom is SUPPOSED to be minimal.

My point is that (I thought) Gingerbread was supposed to make all the overlays and launcher screens (sense included) redundant.

Maybe I'm mistaken about that.

Either way, an overlay of some kind is still required - i'll probably stick with sense due to ubiquity (on HTC phones) and familiarity.

As a related aside, RCMixHD 0.15 with new HD sense is looking great - think I'll dip my toe in that next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

My point is that (I thought) Gingerbread was supposed to make all the overlays and launcher screens (sense included) redundant.

Maybe I'm mistaken about that.

Either way, an overlay of some kind is still required - i'll probably stick with sense due to ubiquity (on HTC phones) and familiarity.

As a related aside, RCMixHD 0.15 with new HD sense is looking great - think I'll dip my toe in that next :D
    No it wasnt. That was just a rumour since they hired Palms webos dev but he himself said that Gingerbread was nearly finished when he started so he had very little influence on it. He had a much larger influence on the Honeycomb (tablet) interface and I suppose we'll see how much of that extends to phones in the next few months

That's 3.0 Honeycomb you are thinking of, and nothing is confirmed yet.

I know what im thinking of but what way is nothing confirmed? :confused:

srsly78 wrote: »
    Launcher pro + beautiful widgets (pay) completely replaces Sense, with even better widgets. There is no need to use Sense, it just drains your battery.
    It doesnt really. It replaces the Rosie launcher but Sense goes much deeper then that.
    I only use Sense roms cause I prefer their People application and integration which is reliant on the Sense framework. The stock rom has facebook/twitter integration but is dependent on the actual application.
    Same with the dialer, gallery,music player and the other HTC applications

Big deal. People only care about the big clock yoke :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I've just stuck it on. It's my first time rooting (coming from a stock froyo branded to 3). Best thing I like so far is when putting the apps back on my phone with titanium I was able to omit all the useless apps that came pre-installed (my main motivation to do it in the first place). Anything else I have a look at to display the benefits of a rooted, updated phone?

Also, does anyone know how (if you can, that is) you link contacts? I could do it before I rooted, where, say I could have someone's home phone/mobile/facebook all under the same entry in my contacts, but can't seem to do it on the oxygen rom.

edit: found out how in case anyone's interested:
    click on the contact in question -> click "menu" -> click "edit contact" -> click "menu" again -> click "join"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

lol at the title of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just updated to Leedroid 2.3 and a couple things went wrong. I ended up USB bricking the phone but I can work around that. My problem is my battery has been shocking since then. Unplugged it today at 12 and its under 50% gone already and have only made 2 short calls on it and data and wi-fi are turned off all day. Wonder would the USB brick be related to this problem and would anyone have any solutions. I had a look at solving the USB brick but hit a brick wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'm on that ROM too carnage and my battery isn't near that bad.

Can you do a nandroid restore to get back to normal then start from scratch again.

I presume you did a nandroid back up before flashing :)

s_carnage wrote: »
    Just updated to Leedroid 2.3 and a couple things went wrong. I ended up USB bricking the phone but I can work around that. My problem is my battery has been shocking since then. Unplugged it today at 12 and its under 50% gone already and have only made 2 short calls on it and data and wi-fi are turned off all day. Wonder would the USB brick be related to this problem and would anyone have any solutions. I had a look at solving the USB brick but hit a brick wall.

Did you flash with the correct radio?

Running Gingerbread on Desire, seems good. Just had a mysterious reboot tho :( If there are many more I'll go back to a stable rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Ya i put the correct radio on it and even changed back to the original one because I thought that was the problem.

I have looked up quite a bit on problems when you USB brick the phone and it seems a rapid decrease in battery is associated with it. I have tried to fix the usb brick but I am been told to "Boot your phone in FASTBOOT mode (back + power), and enter this command: 'fastboot oem enableqxdm 0' . This will re-enable your SD card." My problem is when I go boot it in fastboot there is no option there for me to enter a command. Does anyone know how I can enter a command in this menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

not sure could it work but maybe it would work with droid explorer using the pc if it would pick it up in bootloader mode? was never in that situation so i dont know :)

s_carnage wrote: »
    Ya i put the correct radio on it and even changed back to the original one because I thought that was the problem.

I have looked up quite a bit on problems when you USB brick the phone and it seems a rapid decrease in battery is associated with it. I have tried to fix the usb brick but I am been told to "Boot your phone in FASTBOOT mode (back + power), and enter this command: 'fastboot oem enableqxdm 0' . This will re-enable your SD card." My problem is when I go boot it in fastboot there is no option there for me to enter a command. Does anyone know how I can enter a command in this menu?

Set in charge only and debugging enabled (if possible). Open cmd prompt on your pc and got to AndroidSDK folder and enter the command there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Installed Cyanogen Mod (2.3) today and I'm liking it. It's my first time loading a new ROM so I feel like I just got a new free phone.
    The dialer aint as good as HTC. Pressing the keys does not predict the contact name.
    I'm liking the snappiness though as well as the little animations.
    Hopefully it will be stable. I've re-installed most of my usual apps and they all work fine.
    Will post back with a update when I'm used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just to summarise for people who miss sense:

Replacement Launcher - Launcherpro (Free)
    Replacement Widgets - Launcherpro (Paid) or Beautiful Widgets (Paid)
    Sense Clock - Fancy Widget 1.3.0 (Free but you need to google for the apk as it was banned from the market as its a sense ripoff)

• Advertisement

People miss the facebook integration, how do you replace that? (I hate sense but each to their own)

Advertisement