Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gingerbread to support Near Field Communication (NFC) chips

Options
  • 17-11-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Reports suggest that Eric Schmidt has said that Gingerbread will be able to support the use of NFC chips in handsets.

NFC or near field communication chips can swap data between two devices by simply holding the two devices close together (Like rail smart cards).

Many believe this could pave the way for mobile devices to remove the need to carry credit cards it the future as your phone will act in the same way as your credit card does only wireless.

When I was doing my 4th year college thesis I done it on Android and this is exactly the type of thing that two - two and half years ago it was predicted that smart phones would begin to allow.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Android_Phones_to_Double_Up_as_Credit_Cards/551-113483-581.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,111 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Don't like the idea of this.... too many dangers imo. Could all be unfounded.

I prefer this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/16/dynamics-credit-card-based-computing-platform-makes-what-little/

101116-powercards-01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

draffodx wrote: »
    Reports suggest that Eric Schmidt has said that Gingerbread will be able to support the use of NFC chips in handsets.

NFC or near field communication chips can swap data between two devices by simply holding the two devices close together (Like rail smart cards).

Many believe this could pave the way for mobile devices to remove the need to carry credit cards it the future as your phone will act in the same way as your credit card does only wireless.

When I was doing my 4th year college thesis I done it on Android and this is exactly the type of thing that two - two and half years ago it was predicted that smart phones would begin to allow.

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Android_Phones_to_Double_Up_as_Credit_Cards/551-113483-581.html

I honestly cant see it taking off to the degree of replacing credit cards mainly for the risks involved. Losing a smartphone these days means not only is your phonebook is stolen, but your email account, web browsing habits, itunes account, online purchase history and maybe even work related materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Venom wrote: »
    I honestly cant see it taking off to the degree of replacing credit cards mainly for the risks involved. Losing a smartphone these days means not only is your phonebook is stolen, but your email account, web browsing habits, itunes account, online purchase history and maybe even work related materials.

I think that most proper smartphones have a facility for over the air backing up/sync of contacts/mail/calendar, and also remote wipe, you could do this as quickly as cancelling your credit card -so I don't really see losing it as a problem, except than when you lose it MBNA might charge you a bit more to send a new one out :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,419 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Zagato wrote: »
    I think that most proper smartphones have a facility for over the air backing up/sync of contacts/mail/calendar, and also remote wipe, you could do this as quickly as cancelling your credit card -so I don't really see losing it as a problem, except than when you lose it MBNA might charge you a bit more to send a new one out :p

That facility isnt usually free though (the remote wipe that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Fair point.
    If you were hoping for it to become free, surely credit institutions trying to help you spend money is one of the more promising ways to bring this about. This might lead to ensring better security for the info on your phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Losing the phone will be the exact same as losing your credit card, anybody that tries to use it will still need to pin in on screen. And any data can be easily remotely wipe and the phone locked down.

It would cut out the criminal activity of skimming cards as you will be able to do the same at atm machines.

Its like everything else at first it will be human nature to fear it, when credit cards were introduced the exact same concerns were raised.

Losing the phone will be the exact same as losing your credit card, anybody that tries to use it will still need to pin in on screen. And any data can be easily remotely wipe and the phone locked down.

It would cut out the criminal activity of skimming cards as you will be able to do the same at atm machines.

Its like everything else at first it will be human nature to fear it, when credit cards were introduced the exact same concerns were raised.

Im not in fear of it, I'd embrace something like this if if helped bring down banking costs etc however am just pointing out potential barriers to it at the moment........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

kippy wrote: »
    Im not in fear of it, I'd embrace something like this if if helped bring down banking costs etc however am just pointing out potential barriers to it at the moment........

Of course, however fear is what a lot of people would find the hardest to get over.

Of course, however fear is what a lot of people would find the hardest to get over.

Agreed.
    Breaking down the reasons for this fear are the steps required to make this viable.

EDIT - What a really really rubish 5000 th post!

Advertisement