Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wide the only choice?

Options
  • 03-10-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Seems every new laptop these days is widescreen. I'm not too sure why? I prefer being able to see more on screen for surfing/reading etc with a high resolution and you usually can with a non-widescreen laptop. Seems the only advantage widescreen has is for movies/games? So why aren't there any laptops in production these days without widescreen and if there are, where are they?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,049 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

a few of the thinkpad range come with 3:4 screens, and the dell latitude d520... I'm sure there's others too from other manufacturers. I suppose most laptops will have dvd playback as a feature and the widescreen is more suitable

You can always scroll down a page, so in most case a widescreen won't matter to most people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

eolhc wrote:
    a few of the thinkpad range come with 3:4 screens, and the dell latitude d520... I'm sure there's others too from other manufacturers. I suppose most laptops will have dvd playback as a feature and the widescreen is more suitable

You can always scroll down a page, so in most case a widescreen won't matter to most people

Isn't it 4:3??

Also, personally from a style point of view, i think that widescreen laptops look far better & sleeker than 4:3 things, they look old fashioned and stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Pretty much every widescreen laptop I've seen has had more pixels in width but the same height as a non-widescreen. 1024x768 became 1280x800, 1400 x 1050 became 1600 x 1050, 1600 x 1200 became 1920 x 1200. Also, the availability of high resolution screens hasn't decreased due to widescreen. The only other change was that Apple's increased market share with the MacBook Pro resulted in 1440 x 900 becoming a common size where 1650 x 1050 might previously have been offered but that's not due to the adoption of widescreen.

You might be able to see more physical screen area vertically but there weren't any more pixels being displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Yeah, it's a tough choice. The widescreen is indeed nice for watching DVD's or whatever, but my DVD watching time on my laptop is less than 1% of my total laptop time. My friend has a nice 1600x1200 display and I do prefer it to my 1280x800 widescreen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Most of us would prefer 1600x1200 to 1280x800. I'm sure the price of your friends laptop reflects it too. It's a bit of an oranges-to-apples comparison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement