Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand Canal Dock 3rd platform

Options
  • 06-09-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Just a quick (and rookie!) question in relation to grand canal dock's currently ununused platform. Obviously with signalling upgrades to come and the recent addition of cwr, the platform will soon enter passenger use (for dart I believe)

My question is what was the reason for the non use to passenger traffic up until now? The station has been in situ for around 10 years and I suppose it is arguable that it's non use has been a waste. Even without the installation of OHLE I would have thought it could be used as an interim dmu platform?

Is the non use solely attributable to the lack of signalling to passenger standard? Is it a condition of use that passenger trains cannot operate in shunt signal areas? Or perhaps a combination of the above, old track and the fact that such use would limit the layover facilities for dmus in this area and into / out of the Boston sidings? I always wondered why a pragmatic approach to this platform wasn't taken in the years it has been in existence.

Look forward to your replies :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

The primary reason is that it is not signalled and it is considered part of the Boston sidings. To enter the platform from the Pearse end you would need to pass over hand operated points.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

When the station was built, work on the resignaling works in the central Dublin area had plans in place to signal the platform for service trains. As the station was required for nearby Barrow Street's offices, it was built with the signal work intended to follow on in due course. The long finger grew very long indeed and the been continually put back and put since then as other projects took priority and cash was diverted towards other projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 colm1982

So is this definitely going ahead? Will Maynooth / Dundalk trains use GCD as a terminus? It's not indicated in the draft timetable for 2013, so I wonder how long it would take..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It certainly will not be complete prior to the next timetable.

Phase 1 which is the northern line is awaiting a weekend when it is deemed suitable to shut the railway to commission the signalling (my guess is the October Bank Holiday weekend).

Phase 2 is Connolly, and phase 3 is Connolly to Sandymount.

It could be the end of next year - unfortunately these projects tend to be drawn out affairs and it wasn't helped by objections from Howth businesses to the planned implementation of phase 1 in May that caused it to be deferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

lxflyer wrote: »
    It could be the end of next year - unfortunately these projects tend to be drawn out affairs and it wasn't helped by objections from Howth businesses to the planned implementation of phase 1 in May that caused it to be deferred.
    That sounded like an 'excuse'.

An aside, but the track there doesn't align particularly well with the platform, certainly not vertically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 colm1982

There is a planning application lodged for a new footbridge at Grand Canal Dock station. Can't find it online. Hopefully they are improving the station to get ready for use as Northern/Western commuter terminus! Any ideas if that's that's coming soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's the next phase of the City Centre Resignalling Project which is currently out to tender.

Advertisement