Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVE NOT HEATING RADS HELP

Options
  • 11-10-2012 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Another stove not heating rad problem

about 2 years ago we installed a olembyrl stove with back boiler,

house has 9 rads and the stove is quite big ment to heat 15 rads no problem,

none of the rads ever get hot just warm mostly on the top and then the further down on them the cooler they get.

iv treid flushing the system a few times but still the same ,

one plumber said pipes to the rads is too small , the system seems to be done with 10mm pipe into the rads,

but then another plumber said that it should be ok as the oil burner heats them fine,

only thing i can see myself is when it was plumbed in the flow and return ar on the one side of the stove . should the flow not be in one side and return from the other side diagnol to each other or would it make any difference, the rest of the pipework seems ok.

any ideas, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

Microbore pipework is fine in most cases, do you know what output the stove is in kW. If your rads are heating up fine with the central heating the there is no promblem with the system. You probably only have a 5kW stove compared to your oil which is probably 24kW-31kW. The stove is designed to heat your hot water as opposed to you rads.

There can be 4 connections on most appliances, 2 at the top left and right and 2 at the bottom left and right. The connections at the top are for the flow and bottom are for return and wether you use top bottom same side or top bottom opposite side are up to the installer for the ease of installation

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rodey

hi thanks for the reply.
    im prity sure the stove i have is a olymberyl aidan,
    ment to give 15 kw to the heating.
    it just seems a waist to be lighting the fire and not getting the heat to the house that i thought after paying quite a sum for the stove.
    thanks

15kW should be fine in this case, you could be experiencing problems with your pump or depending on how your system is piped you could have you flow and return crossed, have you any way of checking this for yourself?

i tought it might of been the pump so i change it and still no difference,
    prity sure the flow and return are in the rite spots,
    its driving me nuts,

Has to be solvable, if the oil burner is working fine the system is fine, if it wasn't then the hole thing might have to be looked at.

You've replaced the pump...............

Could be a problem with air, does the stove bang when lit?

• Advertisement

ya i replaced the pump last year ,
    only abit noisey when theres a big load in it,
    only 2 weeka ago i tried draining the system again and im prity sure all the air is out of the system.
    its a head recker.

Sounds head wrecking alright, Could it be pitching. A solution to this could be it you disconnect it from the ch, make sure it is still vented connect the f and r from the stove to a plate heat exchange and connect the ch to the other side of the plate exchanger see how it goes, and you could need a heat leak rad for this in the attic also.

What would you think of that, might be kind of expensive, is it your own home?

ill have to look that up, never heard of em before.
    ya its my own house , its a 4 bed bungalow about 30 yr old.
    thanks

http://www.uk-exchangers.com/brazed_plate_heat_exchangers.htm

Follow this link, this could solve your problem and make it a more complex system, also great for joining sealed systems to vented systems, your local supplier should be able to locate and order one to suit your needs

****Make sure stove has all saftey features once removed from the ch****

Advertisement