Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap inside and outside the short hop zone

Options
  • 22-05-2015 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

I can't figure out which is the cheaper option, despite toggling from IR to Leap websites. Somebody here might know.

If I want to go from, say, Maynooth to Dundalk, am I better to buy a return between both of them or use Leap to Connolly and then a return from there to Dundalk and then Leap back to Maynooth?

The IR website won't tell me how much it is from Maynooth to Dundalk. Or is it so obvious I can't see it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I'd imagine that using LEAP for the suburban leg and a return Connolly/Dundalk would be cheaper.

Connolly/Dundalk is €30.35 day return, and LEAP is €3.49 each way between Maynooth and Connolly - total €37.33.

Connolly/Dundalk open return is €33.75.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

lxflyer wrote: »
    I'd imagine that using LEAP for the suburban leg and a return Connolly/Dundalk would be cheaper.

Connolly/Dundalk is €30.35 day return, and LEAP is €3.49 each way between Maynooth and Connolly - total €37.33.

Connolly/Dundalk open return is €33.75.
    That's what I was thinking, it's bizarre that the IR website cannot tell me a point to point price when the guy at the station can tell me in a few seconds (never mind not being able to book it online)

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking, it's bizarre that the IR website cannot tell me a point to point price when the guy at the station can tell me in a few seconds (never mind not being able to book it online)

It doesn't really do cross-route fares unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

Would leap from Maynooth to Balbriggan and a return from Balbriggan to Dundalk be even cheaper still?

Would leap from Maynooth to Balbriggan and a return from Balbriggan to Dundalk be even cheaper still?

Most trains to Dundalk don't stop at Balbriggan so that option really isn't of any use - the OP would have to get off the train and tag off before getting the next one which could be several hours away!!

• Advertisement

Ah yes, forgot about that. Would you still need to tag off if you had the annual tax saver rail ticket?

Ah yes, forgot about that. Would you still need to tag off if you had the annual tax saver rail ticket?

Unless the train physically stops at Balbriggan, you cannot use that option.

So, is that a yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

lxflyer wrote: »
    Most trains to Dundalk don't stop at Balbriggan so that option really isn't of any use - the OP would have to get off the train and tag off before getting the next one which could be several hours away!!

There are 12 services from Balbriggan to Dundalk today under 46min, and 17 in total from Dublin.

There are 2 more services taking 63 and 98 mins.

There are 12 services from Balbriggan to Dundalk today under 46min, and 17 in total from Dublin.

There are 2 more services taking 63 and 98 mins.

I would suggest you look at the timetable again. There are only 6 direct trains per day from Balbriggan to Dundalk on a normal weekday, and 7 on Friday. That's not a lot of options, as they are mainly at peak hour.

All the others require a change at Drogheda. Are you seriously trying to suggest that the OP takes three trains for their trip?

• Advertisement

I was able to use my annual leap card and ticket from Balbriggan to Drogheda on the express train there and back. Spoke to the guys at the ticket gates and they didn't have any issues.

Advertisement