Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M50 toll payment

• 07-06-2010 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I went through the M50 toll on Friday and again on Sunday. We tried ringing to pay but couldn't get though as we had the wrong number D'Oh. Our time has passed ie 8pm the following day on the Friday trip but I still have time on the Sunday trip.

My question is, should I pay for 1 trip and wait for the letter or should I pay for the 2 trips?

As we don't travel to Dublin that much we didn't even know we were going through it until a friend of ours told us about it. I would reckon alot of people have been caught out this way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

A few weeks ago i missed the 8 pm deadline by 20 minutes.
    I paid via eflow.ie and send an email to thei customer support.
    A few days later i received a reply that the payment was accepted and i had no outstanding fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

pay the two anyway... if they send you a letter it will most likely be the extra fee for going over the deadline.

may i suggest setting up an account with your car reg ?

cost €2.50 a go and no other fee's... if you don't use it then you don't pay anything, also you can use your bank account or debit card to pay it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pay online, much easier and quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

robbie_998 wrote: »
    pay the two anyway... if they send you a letter it will most likely be the extra fee for going over the deadline.

may i suggest setting up an account with your car reg ?

cost €2.50 a go and no other fee's... if you don't use it then you don't pay anything, also you can use your bank account or debit card to pay it.
    if you do set up an account remember to keep a close eye on it as this crowd are not known for getting things right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I went through the M50 toll on Friday and again on Sunday. We tried ringing to pay but couldn't get though as we had the wrong number D'Oh. Our time has passed ie 8pm the following day on the Friday trip but I still have time on the Sunday trip.

My question is, should I pay for 1 trip and wait for the letter or should I pay for the 2 trips?

As we don't travel to Dublin that much we didn't even know we were going through it until a friend of ours told us about it. I would reckon alot of people have been caught out this way.

I take it the 40 foot flashing yellow signs saying "M 50 Toll ahead" didn't work over the weekend;)

Just give them a call to pay up and see what they say; if you are lucky they may take you on board and charge for the two single trips. Anytime I've called them I have to say they have been decent so see what happens:)

• Advertisement

Indeed there is plenty of warning and signs advising of the last junction exit before the toll in either direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭peteandjenn

I would be more intrested in watching incase I hit the back of another car rather than browsing whats going on around me in Irelands biggest carpark on a motorway!! :D If we were to read everysign on that motorway there would be alot more crashes than there is on it. We even passed a bad one yesterday.

All sorted now thanks guys ;)

If we were to read everysign on that motorway there would be alot more crashes than there is on it.

thats exactly why those signs are there, so you read them. There are not that many of them and they are in your direct line of sight. Part of driving is paying attention to your surroundings, there is no reason not to notice every single sign without ditracting from your driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

My missus has had to use the M50 occasionally and sometimes forgets to pay the toll on time. We then pay online as soon as we remember and no letters have ever been received.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

My missus has had to use the M50 occasionally and sometimes forgets to pay the toll on time. We then pay online as soon as we remember and no letters have ever been received.
    As robbie_998 suggested above, it would probably be easier and cheaper for her to register her registration number and credit/debit card details online. It would cut 50c off the cost of each trip and save her having to remember.

OK, I'm from Dublin and I use the M50 regularly, so I'm familiar with the toll, but all the same I really don't understand this. There's signs saying 'Toll' directly overhead before the last turnoff in either direction. Then there's the enormous blue 'M50 toll' signs directly overhead as you go through it. Then there's the row of cameras directly overhead. Then there's the road markings in every lane saying 'Toll.' Then there's the signs off to the sides saying 'pay by 8pm tomorrow' and advertising cheaper ways of paying. And unless they've been deactivated recently, there's the big digital orange signs overhanging the road from the side saying the same thing. I mean I know people do miss it all the time, so I'm not singling you out OP, but I really wonder how this happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I paid online for my dad yesterday evening but he didn't use the toll until today-silly mistake on my part-I presume he will get a letter demanding payment and will have to call them to get the payment made yesterday evening allocated to the trip made today?

OK, I'm from Dublin and I use the M50 regularly, so I'm familiar with the toll, but all the same I really don't understand this. There's signs saying 'Toll' directly overhead before the last turnoff in either direction. Then there's the enormous blue 'M50 toll' signs directly overhead as you go through it. Then there's the row of cameras directly overhead. Then there's the road markings in every lane saying 'Toll.' Then there's the signs off to the sides saying 'pay by 8pm tomorrow' and advertising cheaper ways of paying. And unless they've been deactivated recently, there's the big digital orange signs overhanging the road from the side saying the same thing. I mean I know people do miss it all the time, so I'm not singling you out OP, but I really wonder how this happens.

Yes your from Dublin so you know its there! I don't go to Dublin ever. As for whatever turn offs your on about don't even now where they are as I didn't turn off. 'M50 toll' overhead didn't see them either as I said before there is so much traffic I watch whats in front of me and the road markings 'toll' too much traffic close together so those really can't be seen by anyone and really while I'm typing this it just proves that there is way too much singage around the M50 which probably leads to the problem that its 'Irelands biggest carpark' :P

Yes your from Dublin so you know its there! I don't go to Dublin ever. As for whatever turn offs your on about don't even now where they are as I didn't turn off. 'M50 toll' overhead didn't see them either as I said before there is so much traffic I watch whats in front of me and the road markings 'toll' too much traffic close together so those really can't be seen by anyone and really while I'm typing this it just proves that there is way too much singage around the M50 which probably leads to the problem that its 'Irelands biggest carpark' :P

I hope I never meet you on the road, you clearly pay no attention to your surroundings at all and are a danger to others with your lack of awareness :mad:

You didn't know the toll was there? I'd be surprised if anyone in the country who drives doesn't know there's a toll on the M50. The old barrier was half the reason the road got its "car park" reputation, and there was enormous national media reporting surrounding the introduction of barrier-free tolling a year or two ago. I've never been through the M8 toll, or either of the new M3 tolls, but I know they're there.

The rest of your post frightens me to be honest. The turn offs I'm on about are the large, numbered, extremely well-signposted off-ramps leading to grade-separated junctions, that in most cases have their own dedicated lane. They're not exactly little boreens that are easy to miss.

The sign posts are in front of you! They're big, blue, stretch across the entire road, and clearly say "Toll Here, Pay By 8pm Tomorrow" or something to that effect.

And I can't honestly believe there was too much traffic on the road to see the enormous white circles with the word 'Toll' in them that are present in every lane (immediately before and after the toll, I'm pretty sure). I use the M50 regularly and since the upgrade I have never once seen so much traffic on it that those markings are obscured, except in the case of accidents or major delays, in which case traffic slows to a crawl and you've have plenty of times to notice the many other signs.

Seriously, if you failed to spot any of these (not to mention the illuminated, orange electronic displays), directly in your line of vision, I'd be very very worried about your driving, and what you might do if you encountered, say, a red traffic light directly in your line of vision. Or a cyclist swerving from the side of the road. Or a pedestrian stepping out from the side of the road.

Not understanding the system because you've never had to use it is one thing, not seeing it... :eek:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn I'm bored of this now. I've driven all over the world and honestly think the M50 is the biggest joke of them all and I ain't alone on that! M50 is a motorway which means 120km a hr The few times I've been on itIhave never seen anyone traveling next or near that speed. The best thing about the M50 and Dublin itself is all roads lead away from it :D

Yaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnn I'm bored of this now. I've driven all over the world and honestly think the M50 is the biggest joke of them all and I ain't alone on that! M50 is a motorway which means 120km a hr The few times I've been on itIhave never seen anyone traveling next or near that speed. The best thing about the M50 and Dublin itself is all roads lead away from it :D
    I assume you can't see the 100km/h signs either... Starting to get the impression I'm feeding a troll here, I'm going to stop now.

Now I'm laughing hard :D:D:D A motorway and the speed limit is 100km/hr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Now I'm laughing hard :D:D:D A motorway and the speed limit is 100km/hr
    Yes, like lots of urban sections of motorway in other countries, or were you driving around with your eyes closed then too?

Typical isn't it ask for help and get grief :confused: If you have nothing good to say please don't say anything at all.

Typical isn't it ask for help and get grief :confused: If you have nothing good to say please don't say anything at all.

typical isin't it. people try and helpfully point a few things out and you get all high and mighty about how the m50 is the worst road in the world and how the signs are impossible to see etc. :rolleyes:

and fyi I did the whole thing from Cherrywood to N3 junction and back again at 100 today, hardly a carpark...

And also in case you're on it in future from Dundrum to where it meets the M11 is all 120kph..

• Advertisement
Advertisement