Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or is there less people on the trains??

Options
  • 28-11-2008 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Noticed lately that the commuter trains in the mornings and evenings are nowhere near as busy as they were, given the trains aren't getting any bigger I wonder are less people using them, could this be another symptom of what's happening (I won't use the 'R' word!). Anybody else noticed it too or is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Noticed lately that the commuter trains in the mornings and evenings are nowhere near as busy as they were, given the trains aren't getting any bigger I wonder are less people using them, could this be another symptom of what's happening (I won't use the 'R' word!). Anybody else noticed it too or is it just me?

CIE have noted this on both rail and bus usage in the last while. Traffic is also lighter in the early days and personally I and other drivers can vouch for less passengers in taxis day and night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Sad to say, but alot of people have been layed off, that's why IE are looking for fair increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Seeing as you mention it, yes the trains on the Sallins line are not as busy as they were. While its still standing room only, there's plenty of space to stand whereas 6 months ago, you'd be nose to nose with someone. A few mornings this week, there were actually seats available which is unheard of. So in true Irish fashion, instead of cutting fares to attract more people onto trains, they're going to put them up (similar to the government increasing VAT rates while the UK cuts theirs and thus increases the flow of shoppers heading north). Jeez, the powers that be have very little imagination when it comes to making decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Well it's another symptom of the fact that many of the non-nationals have left the country. They were great users of public transport and right across the CIÉ Group and indeed LUAS (who seem to have been ignored in this debate), passenger numbers are significantly down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

spadder wrote: »
    Sad to say, but alot of people have been layed off, that's why IE are looking for fair increases.

It that a "fair" increase or fare increase :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Petrol is cheaper - maybe more people are back in their cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Id be more inclined to use the train if it was a lot cheaper but I really can't afford it at the current prices, simple as.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Lot a stations have to pay for parking which they didnt before, add this to cheaper fuel its cheaper to use the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

Heroditas wrote: »
    Petrol is cheaper - maybe more people are back in their cars!
    I've noticed a big drop off in traffic on the M50 in recent weeks. No data to prove it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

crocro wrote: »
    I've noticed a big drop off in traffic on the M50 in recent weeks. No data to prove it though.

I'd say actually the eFlow crowd would probably have the best stats now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

No doubt, those f**kers will look for an increase to compensate for fewer cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

If they way they bill is any indication, i would say not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

crocro wrote: »

Could it be that the M50 is moving better with the removal of the toll and the added lanes so it seems if it less busy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

davton wrote: »
    Could it be that the M50 is moving better with the removal of the toll and the added lanes so it seems if it less busy?

Not last evening - queues back from the bridge to Sandyford :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

As a regular user of Internet Cafes I have noticed a massive reduction in the amount of non-nationals, indeed anybody, using same so I think it is safe to assume that this is due to people returning home rather than an improvement of broadband nationally! Same could be applied to numbers using public transport. :)

Advertisement