Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dart ticket sound

• 24-08-2007 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

What is the story when you put your dart ticket through the automatic machines and you hear a sort of "choo-choo" noise? It doesn't do it all the time as far as I know. Anyone know the reason for this. It only happens at the new automatic ticketing gates such as Grand Canal Dock.

Also anyone know about the in carriage scrolling text or LED position display. I'd say one or both are wrong 40% of the time I take the dart. Anyone know why or how they work? Why wrong so often? It surely cannot be that complicated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

It means the ticket machine thinks two (or more) people went through on one ticket. It seems to happen if two people go through too closely even if they have separate tickets.
    Peter B wrote:
    Also anyone know about the in carriage scrolling text or LED position display. I'd say one or both are wrong 40% of the time I take the dart. Anyone know why or how they work? Why wrong so often? It surely cannot be that complicated.

I believe there was a software problem when old and new type Darts were connected, the software versions were different on each type so it didn't work properly. I'm sure that doesn't explain 99% of the problems though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Peter B wrote:

faulty software and driver apathy - I believe it works on track circuits to tell the system where the train is - if it goes awry the driver should reset it or just turn it off (no information is better than wrong information) but I suspect many of the drivers never even check it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

loyatemu wrote:
    faulty software and driver apathy - I believe it works on track circuits to tell the system where the train is - if it goes awry the driver should reset it or just turn it off (no information is better than wrong information) but I suspect many of the drivers never even check it...

For a driver to check same, he has to leave his cab and that is a major no no in a drivers rulebook, potentially a sackable offence. Point taken though, it should work or not be on. Did you contact the powers that be regards same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hamndegger wrote:
    For a driver to check same, he has to leave his cab and that is a major no no in a drivers rulebook, potentially a sackable offence.
    That's crazy. I'd always assumed the driver would have a repeater of the information in his cab to make it easy to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Hamndegger wrote:
    For a driver to check same, he has to leave his cab

Can he not check it before bringing the train into service? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

paulm17781 wrote:
    Can he not check it before bringing the train into service? :confused:

Well, it should go without saying that the train is in working condition when they take control of same; the point I replied to mentioned if it was playing up while in service, it is nigh impossible for a driver to check it out en route. I am unsure if driver cabs would have "repeaters", Alun so can't say yay or nay on that.

Advertisement