Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cecelia Ahern - hack, PS, I hate you, you suck

Options
  • 24-01-2009 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm so sick and tired of people praising the rubbish Cecelia supposedly writes (lets face, there is no proof she writes any of those books, her name alone would sell the dribble, plus how many writers with excellent material cant even get a publisher to look at it?) Compare her college articles (you can find then on the net) with the writing style in her 'novels'. Not the same style, smacks of ghost writing. And if she has supposedly improved in the mean time, there would at least be a glimmer of talent in those snippets. Nada folks. It is substandard trash. I'm sure there is a certain demograph or those who have graduated from Read It Yourself series that her books may appeal to. Lets face it, she was spawned by one of greatest liars this country has ever seen, a man who ran the country into the ground and has the neck and gall to pen his own memoirs in a lucrative publishing deal. Looks like the Ahern's have neck for anything. The standard of literature has taken a huge nose dive. Even Amanda Brunker is published . . . what next, Paris Hilton gets a Nobel Prize for physics for her work in One Night In Paris? As for Cecelia being involved in the Samantha Who TV series, what was her contribution? 'lets do a show about a girl with blonde hair'?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Tight Ted

I'm sorry, but I think this sounds an awful lot like soar grapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Tight Ted wrote: »
    I think that may be the under statement of the year :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Never read any of her books and don't intend to, but I don't think anybody doubts that she wrote them. Yes, being Berties daughter opened doors, but that on its own wouldn't have been enough to make her as successful as she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I like her book and really don't think standard of literature has taken a nose dive at all. Also is there any proof that most writers wrote their books? That was a bit harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I wouldn't be the biggest 'chick lit' fan, but sure, traditionally, novels were seen as 'intellectually inferior' and aimed at women, just like a lot of 'chick lit' is today. I actually say 'fair play' to Cecelia for making her own career instead of riding off her dad's coat-tails. Tbh, I find WAG's autobiographies much more annoying. When I see Colleen Rooney's book I always think, "Man, some great writer out there might be struggling to get a book deal and they publish this crap!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

That was a funny title. Although I have no feelings regarding Cecelia Ahern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Typically Irish response. All criticism, no matter the reasons, is begrudgery. The Ahern I've read rarely gets beyond Junior Cery. level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

994 wrote: »
    Typically Irish response. All criticism, no matter the reasons, is begrudgery. The Ahern I've read rarely gets beyond Junior Cery. level.

Just because it's a typical response, doesnt mean it's rendered invalid:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭chenguin

I don't think that anyone has said that PS I love you is of a great literature standard. But not everyone wants to read books that are. Some times all you want to do is read a book where you dont have to think too much. I think we only have to look at the huge success of The Da Vinci Code to see that.

And if you are questioning if she wrote her books. Where is the proof that she actually wrote those college articles?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Its a genre that she writes.

I dont like James Joyces books or the genre he writes is appealing.

I dont like Cecilia Aherns writing either or its genre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Wait, did th OP just register to rant about Cecilia Ahern?

Odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

I read it :)wasnt my cup of tea but was not bad.
    What really peeved me was the lack of Irish people and the change over to her been American ncncnc:(

for once i agree with you Shakespeare is awful and should be dropped from the Junior Cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

There's no accounting for taste I suppose.

So long as people enjoy reading rubbish, people will write rubbish for them.

Sleipnir wrote: »
    There's no accounting for taste I suppose.

So long as people enjoy reading rubbish, people will write rubbish for them.
    dont you think an adult has the right to decide what they like?

yuck -each to their own but dont force your taste on people

CDfm wrote: »
    dont you think an adult has the right to decide what they like?

yuck -each to their own but dont force your taste on people

I'm pretty sure that's what I said? I don't think my post contained anything on my own taste in literature so I don't see how I could possibly be forcing anything on anyone.

It's trashy but people like trash. Hello, Okay!, take a break, etc etc.

I'm pretty sure that's what I said? I don't think my post contained anything on my own taste in literature so I don't see how I could possibly be forcing anything on anyone.

It's trashy but people like trash. Hello, Okay!, take a break, etc etc.
    by taste i thought you implied shakespeare was better.

sorry if i misread

• Advertisement

Yes, but I live in hope:D

CDfm wrote: »
    by taste i thought you implied shakespeare was better.

sorry if i misread

Lawdy mamma no, Hamlet hasn't a patch on P.S. I Love You.

It's my eternal wish that leaving cert students are studying it instead of Hamlet for hundreds of years to come.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

The OP is Enda Kenny?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The standard of literature has taken a huge nose dive. Even Amanda Brunker is published . . .
    How many books have you written, OP?

Lawdy mamma no, Hamlet hasn't a patch on P.S. I Love You.

It's my eternal wish that leaving cert students are studying it instead of Hamlet for hundreds of years to come.

:rolleyes:

I agree with everything except the roll eyes

English as taught in Irish schools is top heavy in literature and as a book at least PS I love you has a structure and is written in a direct and readable and accessable style.

So while Shakespeare has its place - it is given an importance in English literature almost to the exclusion of everything else.

It is fine if it is to your taste or as a period piece- but otherwise -ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I agree. I can't say I absolutely loved reading Shakespeare in school (and even more in college), but I recognize the importance of his plays in English literature.

And students have to try and deal with more difficult texts than 'P.S. I Love You'. If you don't challenge them mentally then they won't develop.

That's like saying maths students shouldn't be forced to deal with algebra because it's just too difficult and boring and takes up too much time- they should stick with their multiplication tables and '2+2' sums - they'll enjoy that a lot more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Dades wrote: »
    How many books have you written, OP?

I'm sorry, but I don't think that's relevant. I've never made a film, written a book or designed a car, but I'd like to think I'm still allowed have an opinion on any of those things even if they're not complimentary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭girlbiker

I hate to admit to reading Chic Lit(and try not to) but I read loads of books and I'd say 20% of the books I read are chic lit, I specifically read chic lit to read when I'm on the bus and eating lunch simply because there is not much concentration required and normally keep me amused for a while ..........I dont really enjoy them alot of the time but still keep reaching for the pastel coloured books when I want to slob around and read something that requires no brain power...

I'm sure thats indicitave of some terrible pyscholoigical problem I have..........hmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

eoin wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I don't think that's relevant. I've never made a film, written a book or designed a car, but I'd like to think I'm still allowed have an opinion on any of those things even if they're not complimentary.
    There's a difference between having an opinion and launching a spittle-flecked one-man campaign to discredit an author.

Besides, anyone can write. It's free - you don't need money, equipment or a degree in engineering. So in that way people are in a real position to lift the literary standard if they fit.

IMO, even writing a crap book is an achievement.

Advertisement