Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sizing Alternator for genset

Options
  • 20-10-2014 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Everyone,

I have recently picked up a Petter PH1 (8 hP at 2000 rpm) that came out of an old dunper.

I want to make a generator with the this diesel engine but I am finding some questions hard to find answers for.I am very new to this and I'm hoping some of you out there may be able to help me out.

Has anyone ever tried this out themselves as a project?

For an 8 HP engine at 2000 rpm, I am thinking a 5 or 6 kW alternator would be suitable. I read somewhere to size an alternator to an engine you must multiply the HP by 0.75. Is this correct?

Will I need some sort of governor to regulate the speed of the engine when the generator is under load? I read something about this but wasn't too sure about it.

Where might I be able to get an alternator for such a project? (bear in mind I'm hoping not to break the bank on this project)

Seen on donedeal a mecc alte supplier with an alternator for about 200 euro (5.7 kVA) Is this good?

If anyone has any information to share at all on this or has had experience doing this before and has any bit of advice, I would be delighted if you could share it with me on this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ronnie1984

You will need to reduce the engine rpm to 1,500 to give you the 50Hz 230V output which in turn will probably lessen ur engine horsepower. 1 Hp = 0.746kW. 8Hp = 5.97kW or kVA in ur case

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Refeek Maher

Thanks Ronnie! I'm now thinking of using a car or truck alternator to charge batteries then using an inventor to supply AC current. It would make things easier. Any Ideas on the ratings of a standard alternator?

Advertisement