Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Leave / Time Off Question

Options
  • 06-01-2011 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I am currently working full-time, 5 days per week, and my job has a fairly heavy emphasis on sales. I took 2 days of annual leave over Christmas, and had another day scheduled off, so I worked a 4 day week, and then a 3 day week.

My boss told me that my performance is going to be monitored / reviewed over the next few weeks, because my sales went down during this time - the sales targets remained the same, even though I was off. In fact, if it was averaged out, my sales actually increased, and my overall performance improved too.

I haven't had too many jobs, so I'm not sure if this kind of thing is common, but it doesn't seem "fair" to me, and it feels as if they are trying to discourage / scare me from taking time off - I would appreciate any advice or feedback on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Twinkle29

Hi there,

The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 entitles all employees to annual leave. This is considered a health and safety piece of legislation and in that regard, the granting of leave (and indeed proper rest breaks and weekly rest) is considered necessary to preserve the staff members health and well being.

Therefore, it is your statutory right to take annual leave. The only say the employer has in your taking of annual leave is regarding when you take it. In fact, there is a responsibility on employers to make sure you take it. So rest assured, you cannot be coerced in to not taking your leave.

In relation to the monitoring of your performance, you could request a meeting to enquire further as to why exactly your performance is being monitored and to request some specifics as to what is required off you by way of improvements. You can't be expected to make the requsite improvements if you don't know what they are ;)

Hope this helps.

Advertisement