Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Well generally when you invade a country and enslave their people it provokes a negative reaction. Funny isnt it

Enslave their people my arse. You could say the same about the Irish, they started enslaving the English, Welsh and Scottish first. The Irish have totally ****ed up independance, but the government just like to keep reminding you how bad life was 200 years ago so no one ever questions why you did it in the first place.

Fianna Fail and the Holy Roman Empire have ridden this country much more than the British did.

And when did England invade Scotland and enslave their people. Personally I am looking forward to being free from our scottish overlords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats more like it, someone will get banned yet (disapointly quiet thread so far).

mike65 wrote: »
    Thats more like it, someone will get banned yet (disapointly quiet thread so far).

It has been a bit boring so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Speaking as an Englishman, we generally work on the basis that all Scots, Welsh and Irish hate us, so we treat all of them with equal amounts of disdain until proven otherwise. Maybe not the best approach, but as a self defence mechanism, it works..

That's bullshit, most English people I've met are completely indifferent with their views on the Irish as a whole, and what you say amounts to the very same thing you're ridiculing others for.. generalising an entire nation based on your own ingrained and incorrect assumptions

I have no opinion on the British as an entity. Some of my best friends are from England, and I've encountered some utter **** whenever I've been there.. so there's absolutely no point in using just 1 brush to paint a picture of a full country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Enslave their people my arse. You could say the same about the Irish, they started enslaving the English, Welsh and Scottish first. The Irish have totally ****ed up independance, but the government just like to keep reminding you how bad life was 200 years ago so no one ever questions why you did it in the first place.

Fianna Fail and the Holy Roman Empire have ridden this country much more than the British did.

And when did England invade Scotland and enslave their people. Personally I am looking forward to being free from our scottish overlords.

Yeah, gotta love the anti-Irish venom coming out now. We are one of the richest country's in the world per capita and have the a standard of living better then the UK, a county that has raped us for 800 years.

• Calibos wrote: »
    Jaysus, your not only a Brit, your a posh Brit!! Feck off out of it, ye posho!!

;):D

Eh? Erasmus is for posh people? :confused: You must be confusing Erasmus with gap years in Nepal.
    Kev_ps3 wrote:
    Well generally when you invade a country and enslave their people it provokes a negative reaction. Funny isnt it

Oh, was that poster actually responsible for that? This is what I hate most, people blaming British people for what the people in charge of Britain did hundreds of years ago. If someone has a grudge against me for that, they're pathetic. Some people need to grow up. I happened to be born in a country whose leaders did terrible things in the past, what do I have to apologise for? While I think the ignorance of most British people about Ireland is annoying, just because it's bloody stupid to know so little about the country right next to yours, I don't think there's a valid reason for any Irish person to hate any British person on the basis of nationality.

• Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Yeah, gotta love the anti-Irish venom coming out now. We are one of the richest country's in the world per capita and have the a standard of living better then the UK, a county that has raped us for 800 years.

Are you posting from 2004?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Kold wrote: »
    I didn't know what to click because I am English. I clicked like since I quite like me.

I like me too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

I have a british GF . Pretty cool people . My openinon is based on the type of people i meet in pubs! After couple of pints we are all friends.

My GF moved to lebanon . According to what she tells me about england i would never go there. The ugly weather crime, drugs , the social state , people have lost this white spirit of goodness . She says lebanon reminds her of how england used to be 20 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Javelin77 wrote: »

. She says lebanon reminds her of how england used to be 20 years ago.

Poll tax riots, race riots, bombings, negative equity, massive unemployment etc

Scratches the Lebanon off my list of places to live

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 wrote: »

So an Irish person who disagrees with you is a West Brit Anglo Irish traitor, an Englishman who criticises Ireland is coming out with Anti Irish venom.

What has Ireland done with independance? If Ireland was still part of the UK, it would have a decent public transport network, decent free health care, Dublin and Cork would have a metro system and education would be a lot more secular than it is now.

Irish wealth and standard of living is a myth. The figures are all based on Irelands bogus GDP and used by the government to convince the people they are well off.

That's not Anti Irish, that an objective opinion on your country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

I was born and raised here in Ireland but i love the British :D

Though im biased as
    Daddy is half english, half italian,
    mammy is english,
    bf is english etc etc :rolleyes:

That's bullshit, most English people I've met are completely indifferent with their views on the Irish as a whole, and what you say amounts to the very same thing you're ridiculing others for.. generalising an entire nation based on your own ingrained and incorrect assumptions

I have no opinion on the British as an entity. Some of my best friends are from England, and I've encountered some utter **** whenever I've been there.. so there's absolutely no point in using just 1 brush to paint a picture of a full country

Disdain may be the wrong word, but most English people would go on the basis that at some point they will get stick for being English and to an extent are quite reserved when over the border and talking to other people from these isles, until we get to know them better that is.

Try it for yourself. Put on an England shirt and go for a few beers in Dublin, Cardiff or Glasgow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I make my opinions of people as I encounter them individually. I find this way of viewing people works for me, ya know... it's called not being a racist :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Try it for yourself. Put on an England shirt and go for a few beers in Dublin, Cardiff or Glasgow.

Whereabouts in Dublin though? ;)

Oh, if you head to Belfast be careful with that shirt as you'll get stick from both sides ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

English people in general = :)
    Monarchy + aristocracy = :mad:

Nationalists/ traditionalists/culture nazis of any nationality = :mad:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

Poll tax riots, race riots, bombings, negative equity, massive unemployment etc

Scratches the Lebanon off my list of places to live

Was it that bad . I shouldn't trust what women says.

gurramok wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Dublin though? ;)

Oh, if you head to Belfast be careful with that shirt as you'll get stick from both sides ;)

Kingstown is bad enough, never been brave enough to wear it north of the river!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Disdain may be the wrong word, but most English people would go on the basis that at some point they will get stick for being English and to an extent are quite reserved when over the border and talking to other people from these isles, until we get to know them better that is.

I have seen people in pubs in Ireland wearing English jerseys (Rugby & Soccer), fair play to them.. I wouldn't do it. But not because I'd be overly afraid of getting hammered, but it could be seen as somewhat inappropriate by some people. If a couple of lads wearing French jerseys wander in to a pub in England they could expect some shtick too..

I don't think there's any malice in it though, at least not for the majority of people.. it's more of an historic rivalry. Of course there's always going to be some twat that takes it too far however

During the 2002 World Cup when Ireland were playing Germany, I was in a small local pub watching the game and there were 2 German men sitting at a table in full Bavarian Lederhosen.. they got the piss taken of them and gave as much back to the Irish fans.. it was a great laugh, and they stayed drinking with us after the match

It's the people that are caught up in history, or those assuming that everyone else is caught up in history that cause the problems in situations like that

• Advertisement

I have seen people in pubs in Ireland wearing English jerseys (Rugby & Soccer), fair play to them.. I wouldn't do it. But not because I'd be overly afraid of getting hammered, but it could be seen as somewhat inappropriate by some people. If a couple of lads wearing French jerseys wander in to a pub in England they could expect some shtick too..

I don't think there's any malice in it though, at least not for the majority of people.. it's more of an historic rivalry. Of course there's always going to be some twat that takes it too far however

During the 2002 World Cup when Ireland were playing Germany, I was in a small local pub watching the game and there were 2 German men sitting at a table in full Bavarian Lederhosen.. they got the piss taken of them and gave as much back to the Irish fans.. it was a great laugh, and they stayed drinking with us after the match

It's the people that are caught up in history, or those assuming that everyone else is caught up in history that cause the problems in situations like that

Like I said, I would be a lot more relaxed about it in Dublin than in Glasgow.

Anyway, I will be putting it to the test on Saturday. I doubt I will bump into too many US supporters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

I dont think it's that we hate all English people because we know their not all dickhead's, what pisses me off is the fact that some of them have problem's with Ireland and if you asked them why they wouldn't have a reason, iv spoken to english people I know and on other forum site's turn's out that in school they are not thought of the way their country oppressed and tortured the Irish race for hundred's of year's, not a thing about it why is that?

Anyway hate their country and it's history but not all the people that live there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

poll results encourages me that we are not a nation of fcuking idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

i think i speak for anyone when i say as children we hated the british, as adults we realise they are similer enough to the irish, but would still have a smile on my face if they were to lose in something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭EnglishPollop

I voted 'LIKE' - you'll never guess why...:p

But I am embarrassed about the way English football fans behave...give us all a bad name :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Why is it that people are considered idiots to say they hate the entire nation but not idiots to say they like the entire nation?
    Seeing as the offence with most of these things is this whole "yeah well you don't know the entire nation" ?

The only option there that makes any sense is completely indifferent or I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Bunch of cunts, tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Why are you lot constantly making forums about how much you hate british people that is pure evil! If it weren't for them you would'nt have your food, your tvs (basically everything because thats were it all comes from.) so just count your lucky stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

tbh I dont see what the problem is with then in Modern times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

owenc wrote: »
    Why are you lot constantly making forums about how much you hate british people that is pure evil! If it weren't for them you would'nt have your food, your tvs (basically everything because thats were it all comes from.) so just count your lucky stars.

There will be trouble if there's a late delivery again.

...and my TV comes from Germany.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I have never met a British person i didn't like, i prefer to judge people on experiences.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

So, owenc, have you actually read the poll results?

It must be because we're so grateful for all the food and TVs that come from the UK. Keep sending them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

snyper wrote: »
    poll results encourages me that we are not a nation of fcuking idiots.

Our idiots however tend to be the most vocal.

So, owenc, have you actually read the poll results?

It must be because we're so grateful for all the food and TVs that come from the UK. Keep sending them.

Well then, whens the last time you've seen a forum against americans or spanish people?? Never.. you havn't. All your tv channels are practically from the uk aswell so you'll have nothing to watch if you don't anyway.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Our idiots however tend to be the most vocal.

That's not something the Irish have a monopoly on, which is why England football fans are hated.

Well then, whens the last time you've seen a forum against americans or spanish people?? Never.. you havn't.

Oh yes I have. And anyway, this forum isn't against British people. It merely raises the question.
    All your tv channels are practically from the uk aswell so you'll have nothing to watch if you don't anyway.

Are you suggesting that people in Ireland watch the BBC in addition to RTE 1, RTE2, TV3, TnaG, CNN, Al-Jazeera, etc? Well, you are right. One of the advantages of having access to the British media is that it demonstrates that most UK citizens are not like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Well then, whens the last time you've seen a forum against americans or spanish people?? Never.. you havn't. All your tv channels are practically from the uk aswell so you'll have nothing to watch if you don't anyway.

maybe because americans or spanish dont have the negative history you lot have here .bet your a closet rte man yourself , admit it we wont tell dm ones in your wee town .

danbohan wrote: »
    maybe because americans or spanish dont have the negative history you lot have here .bet your a closet rte man yourself , admit it we wont tell dm ones in your wee town .

No because the signals really bad so i can't watch it and rtes the only irish channel i get, on a good day you'll see a black and white picture of rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I actually like them. They're easy to talk to and fond of the drink too. ;)

I've visited a few times and liked it there and am looking to do a masters there (the course I'd like to isn't available in Ireland, naturally :rolleyes:).

I've never had any problems with English people for any reason at all.

No because the signals really bad so i can't watch it and rtes the only irish channel i get, on a good day you'll see a black and white picture of rte.

Believe me, you're not missing anything.

I actually like them. They're easy to talk to and fond of the drink too. ;)

I've visited a few times and liked it there and am looking to do a masters there (the course I'd like to isn't available in Ireland, naturally :rolleyes:).

I've never had any problems with English people for any reason at all.

yea, all agree with that and all only one problem, i'm not english... my passport says british, so are you saying im english?

• Advertisement

yea, all agree with that and all only one problem, i'm not english... my passport says british, so are you saying im english?

You're a Nordie...right?

Believe me, you're not missing anything.

oh yea i know, i was up at my grannies in derry who watches it and i was watching the irish x factor and they totally failed, it was halarious, lol someone from galway on xfactor and they were farmers too!

You're a Nordie...right?

well yea! why????

well yea! why????

Just answering your question, sir!

Now then. How do you feel about the fact that this message board overwhelmingly endorses a good (or indifferent) feeling towards the British people? (That includes you!)

Just answering your question, sir!

Now then. How do you feel about the fact that this message board overwhelmingly endorses a good (or indifferent) feeling towards the British people? (That includes you!)

naw thats derry wans that says that... tbh I don't really care lol.

naw thats derry wans that says that... tbh I don't really care lol.

Good man yerself - that's the spirit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

some of them share a grand mother with me.....like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

No.

What I meant is, historically, the only "British" people Irish people have had any trouble with is the English. I have never heard any Irish person complain about the Scots or the Welsh, yet this poll includes them under the catch-all label of British. Whereas, I'm fairly certain, the question is more likely directed at the English (the main people who play up "Britishness" and consider themselves British).

AFAIK, it's extremely rare for Welsh or Scots to claim to be British but they'll always claim to be Welsh or Scottish. With English, it's different. They use both labels equally ("I'm English" or "I'm British") and some would consider them to be the same, even though they'd consider someone from Scotland or Wales to be British as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Having lived in Aberdeen for the past 8 months I can safely say that if English people think that Irish people have a problem with them, then all they need to do is venture north of the border to Scotland.

Watched Ireland v England in the 6 Nations this year in an Irish bar in Scotland. Spent the match having a laugh with the English supporters. The Scottish supporters though were vicious - roaring abuse in support of Ireland. Made me a bit embarrassed tbh.

Myself I don't mind the English (gf's family is half English). What really annoys me though is that they don't have a clue how their country has acted in the past and how it has pissed off other nations. But maybe that isn't their fault - maybe it is the fact that England is such a melting pot of cultures these days that they have lost their sense of heritage. Luckily here in Ireland, we have still our own identity and much of that can be credited to the history curriculum in our schools today. Whether that is a good or bad thing is for you to decide (personally I think it is a good thing)

Oh and I'm not generalizing all Scottish people - just my own experiences

• Advertisement

No.

What I meant is, historically, the only "British" people Irish people have had any trouble with is the English. I have never heard any Irish person complain about the Scots or the Welsh, yet this poll includes them under the catch-all label of British. Whereas, I'm fairly certain, the question is more likely directed at the English (the main people who play up "Britishness" and consider themselves British).

AFAIK, it's extremely rare for Welsh or Scots to claim to be British but they'll always claim to be Welsh or Scottish. With English, it's different. They use both labels equally ("I'm English" or "I'm British") and some would consider them to be the same, even though they'd consider someone from Scotland or Wales to be British as well.

oh, ok i get you now, that is so true whenever someone says british they mean england, its so common its annoying... they had a whole write up in the dailymail about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement