Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The British: Like, hate or feel completely indifferent??

• 06-06-2010 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

I know threads like this are done to death, but I'm just curious what results a straw poll would show.

On another internet forum I read from time to time (it's architecture related, I'm pathetic I know), some of the British forumers seem convinced that vast numbers of the Irish population are irrational and uber zealous in their hatred of Britain and all things British, including all the people.

I didn't live in Ireland as a young child, so am I missing out on something???

Do you:

Like Britain and the British as a collective?? (they're splendid chaps)

Hate them as a collective?? (they stole my great great grand parents spuds: ALL of them)

Feel completely indifferent about them as a collective?? (I'm normal; liking or hating countries and all their peoples is exceptionally stupid)

Do you like, hate or feel completely indifferent about our nearest neighbours? 669 votes

0% 0 votes
    Hate
    46% 312 votes
    Completely indifferent
    10% 72 votes
    I don't know!
    42% 285 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Ah www.skyscrapercity.com - get over there and spread the hate (in the irish section of the UK forum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

I moved to England nearly 2 years ago. You get the assholes, and you get some really lovely folk. Like in Ireland.

The only thing that bothers me is a quite high proportion of people I have talked to either have no idea of the history between the 2 countries, or think Ireland is part of the UK. Which at first infuriated me, but then I felt more kinda... sorry for the ones that thought that. Because they're tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I like the Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭nordisk celt83

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I'm truely crushed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

"Filthy tea-drinking bastards, they deserve to burn in the fiery pits of hell"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I have no problem with them. The vast majority of them are decent folk and are just ordinary people.

Cleeo wrote: »
    I moved to England nearly 2 years ago. You get the assholes, and you get some really lovely folk. Like in Ireland.

The only thing that bothers me is a quite high proportion of people I have talked to either have no idea of the history between the 2 countries, or think Ireland is part of the UK. Which at first infuriated me, but then I felt more kinda... sorry for the ones that thought that. Because they're tools.

Theres a surprising number of Irish people that do not appreciate it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

To be honest we grow up watching their television, we read their newspapers, we go there on holiday, many of us have family living there. I have no ill will towards the British for who they are.

Like anything/anyone, some of them are sound, some of them are assholes. I'll take people on who they are as a person and not any sort of stereotype.

You will get folk in this country who dislike British people simply for being who they are but generally speaking, those people's opinions aren't worth listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭ZzubZzub

orourkeda wrote: »

That's true, but I've never met an Irish person who was completely oblivious to the fact SOMETHING happened!

• Advertisement

They gave us only Fools and Horses.. Call it quits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

There's about 60 million or so British people and i only know about 10 of 'em; so don't feel qualified to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I didn't know what to click because I am English. I clicked like since I quite like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

And many more who like to pretend that it means nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

Great bunch of lads, the Brits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I've no problem with the 'Brits', spent many years over there myself. Always found them very fond of us Irish and got on quite well with them. The only thing I can't stand about them is the football hooligan scum they export and the hype there during World Cups and European championships etc.

I like some, dont like others. I hate their ruling classes though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's true, but I've never met an Irish person who was completely oblivious to the fact SOMETHING happened!

And then you get some that never shut the fuck up about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I know threads like this are done to death, but I'm just curious what results a straw poll would show.

On another internet forum I read from time to time (it's architecture related, I'm pathetic I know), some of the British forumers seem convinced that vast numbers of the Irish population are irrational and uber zealous in their hatred of Britain and all things British, including all the people.

I didn't live in Ireland as a young child, so am I missing out on something???

Do you:

Like Britain and the British as a collective?? (they're splendid chaps)

Hate them as a collective?? (they stole my great great grand parents spuds: ALL of them)

Feel completely indifferent about them as a collective?? (I'm normal; liking or hating countries and all their peoples is exceptionally stupid)

oh i love england i want to shag it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I have to say, and I hate soccer, but this is the first soccer world cup where I'm really rooting for Engerland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I DO like them, and they always come over her knowing that they are welcomed and made to feel welcome. Eire has been invaded by Swedish/Norwegians/Danish and they did terrible (and I mean really horrific) things while they were here yet we love them! Maybe the Brits need a Name change.

Well I have to say, and I hate soccer, but this is the first soccer world cup where I'm really rooting for Engerland.

Sad

If they win(they wont) prepare to never watch an English tv channel without it being rammed down your throat again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I live here now and concur with other posters have said . Once you cut through the various sterotypes of England /Brits , the majority are good kind decent folk , as good as any people you will find anywere .

Edit- That's not to say I like everything about their culture and society but as a whole there will always be + and _ associated with any race

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I DO like them, and they always come over her knowing that they are welcomed and made to feel welcome. Eire has been invaded by Swedish/Norwegians/Danish and they did terrible (and I mean really horrific) things while they were here yet we love them! Maybe the Brits need a Name change.
    They left, the British are still here!! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

You can't really generalise about the ninth largest island in the world, with a population of some 61.5 million. The reason I said yes is that some of my favourite bands, Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath, come from there. The ales are nice.
    I havent visited Britain since 1995 by the way.Like many Irish people, I have lots of relatives in the UK.
    I'm sure most British people are sound, but there are **** like the BNP, UKIP, DUP, the football hooligans, and so on. There are a lot of **** in Ireland too, such as Independent News & Media, the Roman Catholic Church, D4's, scangers, etc. So my point is you cant "hate" an entire people. Now, the world's media organisations do their best to get all of us to hate entire peoples "the Muslims", "the Gays", "the Jews" etc on a daily basis. But **** that. Let's be civil and polite to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Erica<3

I have no reason, personally, to hate the brits, nor do i feel the need to like them, I'm completely indifferent.

Time spent on hating a particular country or race is time wasted imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I don't see much difference between the Scots, English, Irish or Welsh as a whole tbh.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    If they win(they wont) prepare to never watch an English tv channel without it being rammed down your throat again.

This would present an insurmountable conundrum for most football supporters in Ireland?

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    This would present an insurmountable conundrum for most football supporters in Ireland?
    No, I watch all my footy on the net, it works out. Sky costs too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 revenue knowledge

The greatest nation on this planet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

SIX PACK wrote: »
    oh i love england i want to shag it

look at a map, it looks exactly like england is shagging the hole off ireland . . .:rolleyes::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Generally, like.
    Generally, indifferent.

No way, hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭drakshug

I'm Scottish and don't class myself as a Brit as the majority of irish seem to equate England with Britain. I get very confused when I hear anti-Brit talk from an Irish person wearing an English football top. We tend to support Scottish teams in Scotland. As the Irish would be the nearest neighbours to my part of Scotland I'd have to vote that I like my neighbours. For the neighbours to the south of the uk.... No comment.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I don't see much difference between the Scots, English, Irish or Welsh as a whole tbh.

well, open your eyes baby jebus.#
    Are ya serioius???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BRITISH EMPIRE 4EVER

Yeah, like take all your good looking women.

Heh heh heh.

Heh heh heh.
    Oh look, its Uncle Ian.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    I like some, dont like others. I hate their ruling classes though.

Our ruling classes are cunts too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Heh heh heh.

Nice username for an Irish forum ... I guess you were expecting absolutely nooooo confrontation.

Heh heh heh.

yeah, byeeee!

• Advertisement

Thats true. I've found that there are a lot of British people who have no idea. It isnt unique to the history between Ireland and Britain.

If you were to ask them about world war 2 for example you would meet a similar response.

look at a map, it looks exactly like england is shagging the hole off ireland . . .:rolleyes::P

Proof that the South-East is the arsehole of Ireland?

:pac:

He's either a troll or Kevin Myers. Or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I knew no good would come of this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

But the difference between 1300 years ago and 150-100 years ago is fairly significant . . .

Thats true. I've found that there are a lot of British people who have no idea. It isnt unique to the history between Ireland and Britain.

If you were to ask them about world war 2 for example you would meet a similar response.
    The vast majority I have ever talked to hadn't heard of Bloody Sunday. In fact the vast majority of Britons are ignorant to their countries colonial past, and what they did to other countries.

drakshug wrote: »
    I'm Scottish and don't class myself as a Brit as the majority of irish seem to equate England with Britain. I get very confused when I hear anti-Brit talk from an Irish person wearing an English football top. We tend to support Scottish teams in Scotland. As the Irish would be the nearest neighbours to my part of Scotland I'd have to vote that I like my neighbours. For the neighbours to the south of the uk.... No comment.

You are British though. You dont have any real say in the matter.

That would be like saying you are not European.

You can't really generalise about the ninth largest island in the world, with a population of some 61.5 million. The reason I said yes is that some of my favourite bands, Floyd, Zeppelin, Sabbath, come from there. The ales are nice.
    I havent visited Britain since 1995 by the way.Like many Irish people, I have lots of relatives in the UK.
    I'm sure most British people are sound, but there are **** like the BNP, UKIP, DUP, the football hooligans, and so on. There are a lot of **** in Ireland too, such as Independent News & Media, the RCC, D4's, scangers, etc. So my point is you cant "hate" an entire people. Now, the world's media organisations do their best to get all of us to hate entire peoples "the Muslims", "the Gays", "the Jews" etc on a daily basis. But **** that. Let's be civil and polite to each other.

Hear f**king Hear, (or should that be Here f**king here). We do need to get a bit of love going on, it'd sort out a lot of sh1t. This seems to be the world we live in, the media almost control our feelings by "what" they pump out. Scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

drakshug wrote: »
    . For the neighbours to the south of the uk.... No comment.

Come on, can we not get over the Thierry Henry handball, it would only have gone to pens, we probably would have lost, the French are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I love the Brits... They do shít properly over there. London is a brilliant city (the main area I visit), as is Newcastle (despite the accent), Liverpool (ditto) and Cornwall is a lovely spot. People are nice folk for the most part. Get the headcases, but that's like here...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement