Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo joins Sony and Microsoft on ridiculously overcharging digital games

Options
  • 13-08-2012 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Nintendo announced that new super mario bros 2 for the 3DS would also be released as a digital download, nintendo's first foray into downloading full game, and then we get the pricing...

£40 in the UK./ I'l call it, 50e - 55e for us. Christ. I know this is nintendo's first go at this, but Sony and Microsoft have been cocking it up for years. You'd have thought they might have learnt :rolleyes: apparently not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Digital publication of a game saves money (for them). They're still gonna charge full retail price if they can.

I'm gonna wait for a used copy of SMB 2 in gamestop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retailers still have massive influence over pricing since it's still a very significant revenue stream. Pricing at considerably lower than the RRP would have a significant effect on relations with stores, both online and High Street. It's unfortunate, and yes the prices of downloads are being unfairly inflated as a result. But given the current market structure, it's going to be a while until we see downloads being sold at more reasonable prices than physical copies. And since companies are naturally seeing this as an opportunity to maximise their individual profits without middlemen, well there's little surprise it is how it is at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least Sony have frequent sales and price drops that are very reasonable unlike MS and Nintendo. I don't think Nintendo ever had a sale on digital goods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Nintendo had a bargain-filled 3DS sale a few weeks ago. 20% off a handful of titles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

As usual the companies aren't the problem here, the consumers are. If people refused to buy the goods at inflated prices they'd be sold at a lower price tag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

remember when Halo Reach was something like 70 quid on XBLA, 70 quid!! It was 45 on launch day, I paid 25 quid for the big special edition one, the one with the diary and big bulky plastic cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

As usual the companies aren't the problem here, the consumers are. If people refused to buy the goods at inflated prices they'd be sold at a lower price tag.

A lot of gamers will want to buy a game on release day or close to it, especially a game long-anticipated or one with massive hype. They want to be able to play it, play with the online community, and discuss said game with others. Retailers see this as the perfect time to charge as much as possible.

Its the same when apple release one of their products or the latest in a series of products. People will pay the price of a small car for this gadget just so they can be among one of the first to own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,069 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

A lot of gamers will want to buy a game on release day or close to it, especially a game long-anticipated or one with massive hype. They want to be able to play it, play with the online community, and discuss said game with others. Retailers see this as the perfect time to charge as much as possible.

Its the same when apple release one of their products or the latest in a series of products. People will pay the price of a small car for this gadget just so they can be among one of the first to own one.

so true, especially when it comes to apple products !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

This is tangential from the topic, but I've often wondered if the publishers are still making a profit by the time a AAA title is retailing for 15-25euro, e.g. if you pick up Arkham City now for 20 quid - a game which cost millions - are Rocksteady still extracting a profit at that price-point?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,868 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes they do.

• Advertisement

Hence why I never buy games on the release date.

Or apple products, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Hence why I never buy games on the release date.

Or apple products, ever.

Or cars, or films, or laptops, or food?

EVERYTHING costs less after it's been out a while and yes popularity dictates price.

So, no I dont mind paying more for something new... not what the OP is talking about really. It costs much much less for nintnendo, no packaging, no media, no distribution and infinite stock yet do we see a single cent of that cost saving? no... Do we put them where they are? yes. It's a little insulting tbh that they can tell us they want the same price for something that they're saving a packet on

Is that going to change? No, unless we tell nintendo, sony et all to take a hike

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Kinski wrote: »
    This is tangential from the topic, but I've often wondered if the publishers are still making a profit by the time a AAA title is retailing for 15-25euro, e.g. if you pick up Arkham City now for 20 quid - a game which cost millions - are Rocksteady still extracting a profit at that price-point?

Could be 10 euro and you'll cover the production and logistics but it all depends on the sales, 1/2 the normal price does not mean doubling the sales numbers. There's games that will sell x amount at 45-50 and x at 1/2 that.

Older games are unlikely to make much money at full price and they're trying to get the last bit of money out of it, while retailers are trying to shift shock that's costing them storage and shelf space.

Or cars, or films, or laptops, or food?

I have no words...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

as long as digital dowloads are as expensive or more expensive than the physical copy, very few people will buy them.
    why would I spend €50 on a download of Game X, when I can buy a physical copy online for €40-€45 and then trade/sell it to recoup a fair chunk of my outlay?

Advertisement